Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Bolt Hamber rustproofing

Adrianlle

Country Flag
great_britain
So it’s time to tackle the underside rust now that it’s been steam cleaned. I don’t have a hoist so will have to buy a pair of ramps and then drive up rear and then front and crawl under suitably clad. I have some Aqua Steel so plan is to coat chassis members with that to convert existing rust after scrape down. What Id like some advice on from those who’ve done it , is how much Bilt Hamber to buy for the next phase. Want to use the Dyna S50 to spray inside the chassis and sills-750ml spray cans with probe. Then the BH chassis wax on outside of chassis and floor etc- again spray cans. I don’t want to buy too much coz expensive stuff! Any ideas how many cans of each? Finally plan is to spray top coat of motorbike chain oil- again spray cans. Again how many cans?
Cant say looking forward to doing all this but once I’ve bought the stuff there will be a real incentive to get on with it- that is unless anyone is dead keen todo it all for me!!! Adrian

Hey Adrian sounds like a big undertaking. I'm sure some experience members may help advise you better. Only thing I would say thats its dam hard doing anything laying down under the vehicle especially like what you plan to do. Having a lift is night and day. I've ached for days having done this.

I would use Dinitrol ML for the cavities and the chassis, floor etc. Then overcoat the chassis floor etc with Dinitrol wax or their black wax underseal.

From memory i used around 4 cans for the cavities and maybe 6 or 8 cans for the chassis and underbody.
Spent over £150 on BH product alone by the time i'd finished.

Suggest investing in those much higher ramps that one can buy, i also have a standard pair of car ramps, so i drive the front end up onto the large pair and the rea up onto the smaller pair at the same time, makes this job much easier.
If you have the room to store them, you can buy those full car length display ramps now and again (usually around £350) that pivot in the middle once you've driven far enough on, motor will be some 2ft off the ground and solidly planted, they'll last you a lifetime too.

Be interested to know which ramps you end up with, all the ones I've looked at dont look wide enough for our tyres.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Adrian if you go with axle stands as Shayne suggests have a set of 6 tonne you can borrow and 3 tonne trolley jack let us know if needed

Back