Administrator
Staff member
Guru
Country Flag
great_britain
Well this morning was ruined...

IMAG0114.jpg

He pulled away, I looked right to see if I could go. *BANG* He had stalled :(

The chassis rail took all the impact. As I was at an angle to him, it hit him first in the middle of his doors. They pretty much folded in. Unfortunately my bumper did crack as did the washer jet - that looks to be all the damage.
His though would be a bit more :(

Well, doen't this put a damper on winning the £166million lotto?

Bad luck, Crispin :( Where's that ARB Deluxe bullbar when you need it. Perhaps out of the insurance pain, something good will come.... Hope the damage isn't too major!

From what I can see through the grill everything looks ok - the crush can looks like it might be a bit skew. Will check more tonight.

Would have been nice if I had a "real" bumper...

I'll send you that paint now Crispin. :lol: That's a bit of a bummer. Doesn't look too bad though, to you that is. I did almost exactly the same tthing a few years back with my 320 and the rear of an A3. The A3 folded big time and the impact was only about 5mph. The BMW needed a new bumper. There was Isopon everywhere on the A3 so it has been crunched before.

Anyway, let the insurance company sort it out and just forget about it as best you can. After my incident at Christmas I've become quite philisophical about these things. :roll:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Sorry to see that Crispin. Although it does show how well the standard set up withstood the knock, as your head light seems to have survived the contact. Atleast you were able to continue on your way in a road worthy vehicle, as opposed to waiting of a tow truck, as a lesser vehicle may have done it's rad.

That's life, and that's why we pay all this money to insurance companies. Let us know how you get on, as when you claim is the only time you get to test the insurance companys performance.

Good luck.

It's annoyed me a bit but to be honest, yes, sh1t happens. Move along.

The headlight, spot etc is all intact. Only damage is where the bumper could not bend around the chassis rail and cracked.
The driver was not the friendliest out but you would not expect him to be. The driver's mate was cool though. Also muttered "these things happen"

Without trying to do a fast one (others lurk here...) what might my options be for repair? Just spoke to company and they will get it all processed etc. But I wonder if there is an option to "take the money or the prize". If it was the money, I would stick a different bumper on (hint hint) and replace the washer jet myself. Simples.

Ask. They can only say 'No'. See if Ian and Greg can swing it for you with the insurers - you're in for a claim for the van anyway. You'll need to check the chassis, for peace of mind if nothing else.

Sterkte, boet!

Gary Stockton said:
Ask. They can only say 'No'. See if Ian and Greg can swing it for you with the insurers - you're in for a claim for the van anyway. You'll need to check the chassis, for peace of mind if nothing else.

Sterkte, boet!

Just got off the phone with insurance. They are happy to put any bumper on so long as it is not done by me and done by a VAT registered garage.
Already called Greg (voice mail) and Ian keeps changing his number

Excess of £200 is a bit of a stinker though....

£200 for a winch bumper sounds like a result, all things considered :thumbup:

Looks like TBR have stock of Sahara bars for yours at the moment, but expensive
Just doing a similar thing myself, Devon 4x4 where a fair bit cheaper for my one

The cruiser will surely live to fight another day.
With improved bumper ;)

A couple of weeks ago I was actually looking at transporters for an economical runabout.
I've gone off them all together now!

Crispin said:
Ian keeps changing his number

Once, I change my number once in 15 years and you can't keep up :lol: The old number even has an answer phone message with the new number :roll:

:lol:

Stress, I tell you, stress ....

'How do I explain this to SWMBO???'

:lol:

Ian Rubie said:
[quote="Crispin":3cz4s6od]Ian keeps changing his number

Once, I change my number once in 15 years and you can't keep up :lol: The old number even has an answer phone message with the new number :roll:[/quote:3cz4s6od]

I've never listened to the whole message. Just some guy drowning on. :violin:
BTW Gary, you have the wrong number too ;)

As for explaining it to SWMBO - tell her on the phone that you've just had an accident. pause pause pause pause pause it's not that bad. Within the 3 seconds that you paused, horror stories are built up. When she finds out what really happens she says "oh, ok. You're fine though?" ;)

Remember the "epic rescue" and babbling brook? That was a raging river and I was being washed away and these were my final words.... :whistle:

Waiting on two quotes now for insurance company - one for OEM bumper and the 50 plastic clips required, one for a ARB :drool:

sorry to see whats happened Cris. :thumbdown:

would have been interesting to have seen what the damage would have been, had you had an ARB on. :think:

hope you get it all sorted. :thumbup:

Back