Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

BRAKE FLUID MISSING :o

Graham

Garage
Country Flag
uk
Well, about Wednesday just gone, the little brake warning light came on, the red one, above the spedo.
So I thought, no problem, I know the pads are getting low, as I had bought some EBC's for front and rear some months ago.

So I just expected the 'low fluid' to be because the pads were worn, and I would simply jut 'top it up' for now.
Then during the week, get the new front and rear pads fitted.
By now the brake pedal was going three quarters down, and un nerving.

Well I looked under the bonnet, and at the reservoir, expecting it to be about a third full still.

I was quite alarmed to see it was almost empty, :o
To the point that, it may not just be the worn pads, but may also be a leak.

Any way, I will buy some dot 4 this morning, and fill it to half, and see if the brake pedal comes back to normal.
If not, then I will run it into Toyota on Monday morning and get them to fit the new pads, and also do an inspection, and full fluid flush.

Has any one ever had a brake system leak on a 120 yet ?
Where did you find the leak?

Graham

OK, I just had a quick look at the inside of all the 4 wheels.

And sure enough, the front passenger tyre is wet with brake fluid.

So there is my answer.

I might take the wheel off, to see if it's the seals, which it probably is, or some thing more sinister.

Graham

check the flexy hoses and the metal brake pipes and joints in that area

Could also be that the pads are that low the piston to coming out too far, if that is the cast I would not drive it till sorted.

Paul

I had a brake pipe leak Graham, but that was corrosion, related to the lazy arsed original owner that liked to dip the rear of it in sea water and not clean it afterwards. I had the light come on too and it took me a while to source the leak.

Found the culprit.

DSC00216.jpg

DSC00220.jpg

I was able to get quarter turn on the nut.
I have dried all the back of the caliper, and there is no leak with pressure on the pedal.

However there is air in the system.
So tomorrow I will go around to my mechanic, and we will flush the whole system with new fluid.

Any ideas how the nut could come loose ?

Graham

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
If the calipers were off at some stage probably not tightened enough. Might be worth changing that little fixed pipe connection on the calipers. It's a simple job you could do as you're changing fluid anyway. It's prone to damage when the calipers are removed or loosened.

wow - definite leak there!, guess the nut wasnt done up enough,

you are missing a clip on the lower of the pad retaining pins too!

Graham, didn't you have the calipers off when you ground them down to get those other wheels on?

Chris

AndyCook said:
wow - definite leak there!, guess the nut wasnt done up enough,

you are missing a clip on the lower of the pad retaining pins too!

Well spotted that man and dead right too. :clap:

Back