Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Brake Pads - OEM or something else?

Crispin

Administrator
Staff member
Guru
Country Flag
great_britain
as above really. Not much else to add...
Want to change the pads on my 120. Shall I just stick with Mr T or is there another product which is without Mr T markup?

well I just use cheap brake pads because with the off-roading they seem to last just as long as the Mr. T ones...

I just bought a set of Toyota front pads and they weren't that pricey £36+VAT IIRC. Try parts king or haggle a trade discount at your local dealer.

I do about 25k on road a year so I would rather have good ones. Not sure what's on there now but don't think they that great...It is 2 tonne of vehicle though...
I'll try Ian and Parts-king and see how they fair...

Just fitted mintex in mine with the new discs and not too impressed

I just had some Milners ones fitted and they brake fine, better than my old ones anyway.. :D

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I like the EBC. Got them off TCOCK with club discount.

C

If you're going with EBC don't get the "Greenstuff" pads, I have heard of pads cracking and disintegrating under harsh braking :? "Redstuff" and their other products are apparently OK. Personally I would look for Ferodo pads everytime on a faster car, I can't praise them highly enough. I currently have Milners on the LC and they have been fine, cheap and not bad quality or performance, but I don't drive that anything like how I used to drive my old cars.

Jim.

Might it be worth asking Ian about the price of oem ones?

Thanks folks.
I did not know Ferodo were here. They popular in SA.

I've spoke to Parts-king, will speak to Ian as well. Just need a list of part numbers for him.
Spoke to my local Mr-T - they not cheap for the caliper overhaul kits...

Speak to Ian about the caliper kits. I got both front and rear ones from him and he had spare pistons too if needed.

Cheers

I have tried Milner's ones and wouldn't touch them again.

As a base line I supply genuine Toyota and then supply either EBC Greenstuff or Mintex as upgrades.

The EBC pads have prooved to be the best so far, but they do need to warm up so if you only ever potter around I wouldn't bother with them.

The Mintex are a good half way between the two, probably closer to the EBC than the genuine Toyota.

At the end of the day the brakes are probably one of the most important components of your truck, you really should have a serious think about things if your purchasing decisions comes down to quibling over a few quid here or there on the price of pads - buy the best you can get.

Ian does a very sensible price on OEMs. Why use anything else.? I bought some EBC green stuff (not for the 80 btw) and liked their special scouring coating that cleaned up your discs on first install.

I now have Mr T's in there from Ian. Now all I need is functioning ABS and some tyres that actually grip the tarmac. It's all very well stopping the wheels from going round, but lack of friction with the road makes it fairly exciting!

Chris

I think I'll just stick with OEM. I don't need supadupa hot stuff racing ones. :|

been using toyota pads on hi-luxes & on my 90 as i have found with other cars that some non O.E. pads can wear the discs quite quickly

Back