Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Brake pipe bush fix?

Rob Cowell

Country Flag
wales
Folks. Any tips on a get me off the side of a mountain fix for a holed brake pipe? Have tried to crush it for about an inch with mole grips which is definitely an improvement. If I try to fold the pipe back on itself it just splits. It's the pipe running along the chassis to the back axle, so no flexi to clamp sadly. I don't have any flaring kit. Anything else I can do? Would be nice to have as many stopping choices as possible given the location. Ta.

As a very temporary thing (and entirely at your own risk) maybe a stop end like this might help, but not too sure where to get one at short notice unless you know any friendly plumbers or heating engineers.

when mine went Clive managed to bend it over like you said, i had shit brakes but didnt lose anymore juice, pumped it before each hair pin bend so it would work a bit when needed.

Can you not get a rubber pipe of some sort over the end, Clamped with a small Jubilee clip then bend rubber pipe over held with Electrical Zip cable/Tie Wrap... Means cutting the Pipe if not already Cut/ Broke

Clean it, squash it, cover in araldite or simila, fold it?

take out a bleed nipple that’s (now) temporarily redundant & see of it fits into wherever the damaged pipe is fed from to seal off that ‘run’

I'd do as Higgy suggests personally - sleeve it with some rubber pipe, run a bolt into the rubber pipe and jubilee clip both ends - seal it that way.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
take out a bleed nipple that’s (now) temporarily redundant & see of it fits into wherever the damaged pipe is fed from to seal off that ‘run’

This was closest to the correct answer! Ended up going through my box of bits I've bought and never got round to using, and came up with a small pre-formed pipe that should come off a front caliper. Connected to a rear axle hose. Plugged with a bleed nipple.

Bleed nipple on its own wouldn't seal into the junction the damaged pipe connected to. The junction isn't very deep so you couldn't thread much bleed nipple into it. Worked a treat. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Where there’s a wiil……….

Just give it a minutes thought and if i knew the internal diameter of the pipes I might chuck a couple of these in a suitable size into my toolbox

1646680903692.png

Back