Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Brake shoes

Compact3

1995 4.2 GS . On checking the parking brake efficiency, it turned out that the offside lever was seized in the on position and when adjusting the star wheel all that was happening was the wearing of the shoes. However only the rear shoe is down to very little while the front shoe appears to be almost unused. I have managed to release the lever so that it does go on and off but it seems to only affect the rear shoe.. Apart from changing the shoes where else might there be a problem?. Are the shoes interchangeable? As I might just change front to back for the time being, until I speak to Milners!!

Thanks
John

I had exactly the same problem last year. The handbrake seeems quite troublesome on the later 80's for such a relatively simple design. Make sure that both handbrake cables are completely free an don't bind. There's a linkage mounted on the back axle which can sieze affecting brake operation. Make sure this moves easily as well as both levers behind the rubber boots on each side. The return springs on the shoes also need to be in good condition and not weakened or stretched. Also make sure the operating lever mounted on one of the shoes on each side isn't sticking and that the shoes can move easily relative to the back plate. I fitted some new shoes from milners and there was NO WAY I could get the drums back on, even with the adjusters backed right off. After 2 attempts (with a couple of months inbetween) I finished up sanding the linings down with wet and dry (used wet) until they fitted OK. Didn't take long as they were only fractionally too thick. Made me wonder if my rear discs/drums had been replaced at some point with non OE parts which were slightly undersize??

Chris did an excellent post on adjusting/problem solving the 90's handbrake - here- which is very similar to the 80.... which may be of some use.

Thanks Towpack/Justin. It is surprising how much easier things become when threatened with a large hammer. The main problem appeared to be that the lever with the rubber boot on the off-side was seized and has now been released using said hammer, some Anglo Saxon and copper grease. It seems to hold now on a decent slope. I needed it this weekend to go down to the Indoor 4x4 Show in Stratford. I just need to replace a couple of the shoes next week.

Thanks
John

Glad it worked out ok - Just make sure the copper grease doesn't get near the rubber... or you'll need to replace that soon enough.

Hi my linkage on the centre oo the axcel was seized and on releasing the hand brake ,still kept the os pads rubbing .tryed to free to no joy the realised if I cracked the bolt holding this linkage in place it moves so when the hand brake is on it is on and when released there is no sticking of pads all is released.may be not the way but it works :D

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back