Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Brake thoughts?

I also fitted the Milner pads earlier in the year along with their replacement front discs and I'm very pleased with them. The longevity of their discs remains to be seen but performance wise they are better than the OE's I took off although, to be fair they were well past their best. JMO

For a tenner you've nothing to lose really

It may have been a dream but I am sure I replaced the front discs on mine the first year of ownership, but cannot find it in my MUD thread, but I have been using 'Brembo' 100 series pads for the last couple of years, pedal pressure is a little higher for the same stopping effort but that is to be expected with a larger surface area but the pads do last longer. The rear discs and pads IIRC were Milner's, there was a problem with one of the rear discs. it kept making a noise despite the back plate being 'straight'. It was casting flash in the groove that the back plate sits in. A little disappointed by the quality control there but, just checked and they have been in there 4 years and over 40,000 miles, discs just starting to groove. So fair to say there was value for money there, I have looked on their site but there does only appear to be replacement parts, no upgraded parts available.

regards

Dave

Further research shows some interesting things on the brake purchase.

I looked at these 250927224198 on ebay, it seems Piranha and EMTEC are made at the same factory on the same machinery.

Then I find that some Nissan Skyline owners use the Piranha and the EMTEC, then we find them supporting track days, and the team up with Mintex (a pad I have been happy with in the past) and it seems I am getting somewhere. Price wise they are identical but EMTEC want 50 quid to ship and Piranha 20. I could get the EMTEC cheaper without the black anti rust coating but it is bundled in with the Piranha offering

The only company not to come back to me thus far is DBA but I have to allow for the weekend, I am suspecting the DBA prices may be higher than I first anticipated so that could be the deal breaker, I will wait until they reply though as most new products are shipped within Spain for free.

regards

Dave

PS, I have seen on the 'racer' forums the jokes about the 'the deal looks fishy' oh and 'their brakes have a good bite'! :icon-biggrin:

Meant to add:

These can be got with pretty much every combination I have ever seen, including the new 'C hook', very similar to the 'J hook' that AP racing use.

regards

Dave

Dave,

I've also been looking at options for a full brake overhaul.

You can source DBA through euro4x4 but at 200 each its too pricey for me:
http://www.euro4x4parts.com/toyota_...5/2_brakes/J/brake_discs_high_performance_dba

Though think I will pick a set of their brake hoses as seem to include a full set:
http://www.euro4x4parts.com/toyota_...95/2_brakes/J/flexible_hose_aviation_type_set

Think will match these up with a set of MTEC disks. Should be good enough:
http://www.mtecbrakes.com/index.php...+%28HDJ80-1HDT%29+Year%3A+92-95&submit=Search

Cheers,
Dave.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks Chris, mine will need changing fairly soon so a set to be ordered I think.

Right, pads have been ordered this afternoon.

Dave,

I've also been looking at options for a full brake overhaul.

You can source DBA through euro4x4 but at 200 each its too pricey for me:
http://www.euro4x4parts.com/toyota_...5/2_brakes/J/brake_discs_high_performance_dba

Think will match these up with a set of MTEC disks. Should be good enough:
http://www.mtecbrakes.com/index.php...+%28HDJ80-1HDT%29+Year%3A+92-95&submit=Search

Cheers,
Dave.

Hi, thanks for that, I had seen them earlier when looking to see if DBA had got back to me (they have not as of yet).

I do have an account with euro4x4parts and get trade discount but they are cross drilled which I do not want, I was hoping DBA would have got back to me with an alternative but alas......

I will be getting the euro 4x4 7 piece braded set though, already in the basket :icon-biggrin:

regards

Dave

Whilst I've not used them on the cruiser, I've been using Mtec Discs and Mintex Pads on my track cars for over 10 years now, can't fault them one little bit, great performance at a great price and worked much better than some pricier options.

Certainly what will go on the 95 when it needs new discs (already running Mintex Pads)

Last edited:
My old man went through two sets of milners front disks on his surf before giving up and getting a set from rufftrax. He said they were the worst discs he had come across, both sets suffered from judder and didnt wear well.

Whilst I've not used them on the cruiser, I've been using Mtec Discs and Mintex Pads on my track cars for over 10 years now, can't fault them one little bit, great performance at a great price and worked much better than some pricier options.

Certainly what will go on the 95 when it needs new discs (alrady running Mintex Pads)
I used mtec discs(grooved only) and pads when I had my brakes overhauled in January this year. Very pleased with the results and great VFM.

My old man went through two sets of milners front disks on his surf before giving up and getting a set from rufftrax. He said they were the worst discs he had come across, both sets suffered from judder and didnt wear well.

Which as you may have gathered from my previous post Mike, your fathers experience is the complete reverse to what I have on my 80 right now. Although I have not felt anything the ITV (MOT) last December detected some warping on the rear, not enough to pick up at the pedal but within (just) their machine limits. So where does this leave us?

I knew this topic would bring about different opinions as with everything in life ,and at the end of the day every company is trying to make headway in a very competitive area. It might be fair to say that Milner's were buying from a different supplier, got some crap discs in, picked up some complaints and changed the supplier. I have a Milner's CV joint in one side and been in there for a few years now (just checked and it was April 2010), just started to protest when the diff locks are on, they too got a slagging as well. Perhaps Milner's dipped into the super cheap parts market in an effort widen their profit margin and got their fingers burnt? Forums such as this soon expose this kind of malarkey and as is the norm it does not take long for them to get a good slagging off. TBH I have had pretty good service as have my customers (UK and international) from Milner's in the past, I hope that your father's experience was a glitch in the 'buyer' department and not indicative as to where Milner's are now.

As I am looking for something a little more tougher than the OE offering so will not be looking at Milner's copies either but, I wonder if anyone is using some recently fitted Milner's discs say a year ago or any other component and has an opinion? If nothing else it would indicate whether their business strategy/direction is the right one.

regards

Dave

EDIT: Just gone back and seen your post TP and good to hear, lets hope Mike's father got a bad batch.....somehow that sounds all wrong?

Last edited:
I used mtec discs(grooved only) and pads when I had my brakes overhauled in January this year. Very pleased with the results and great VFM.

Hmmm moving towards the Emtec/Piranha option at the moment, thanks for that. I am banging my head on the wall trying to remember what brakes were on my old Jaguar, stopped on a sixpence....well a large sixpence from 170+ MPH, ask the French Gendarmes when they caught me 'testing' on the Mulsanne straight in between the official Le Mans test sessions :icon-biggrin:, I know I would have paid loads for them at the time as I was on a good salary, ah those were the days :violin:

regards

Dave

So a week of evenings research, and further reading has pointed me towards Emtec, hard to find anyone levelling any criticism at them or Piranha for that matter, their reputation, the good feedback/reviews and the sensible price made it easier to come to a decision.

So four Emtec discs and two sets of Mintex pads on the way over from the Emerald Isle.

Now to the various options, this was a little more difficult to sort the various opinions that abound in this area. There are dimpled/grooved/drilled C cuts and so on the opinions varied wildly, so making a choice I went with my head and a mental crossing of fingers.

I had already discounted having the drilled versions including drilled and grooved, this was information gleaned from my off road competition days. This has left me with the dimples and grooves or the C cut. The C cut seems to be the latest offering, nice to be at the leading edge of technology but, like Windows 'upgrades', I will let others do the 'beta' testing. So I have gone for the dimpled/grooved versions, they have been around for awhile and the reviews tend to say all good.

If there is a common theme of discontent with the grooved versions then it is actually NOT the disc, it tends to be how the pads work with them. It does seem that pad choice is particularly important, some have used 'X' pads and knocked them out in a couple of months! Some suffered glazing over and polishing after 6 -8 months however, the glazing was levelled more often than not at using OE pads on grooved discs. I did note that most reviewers who experienced pad problems had purchased their discs and pads from different sources, I could have done the same but am hoping here that Emtec have done their homework in this area. I had two choices Mintex or EBC yellow stuff, but with the EBC price around 2.5 times that of Mintex I would expect them to fly over and fit themselves!! I threw in the black anti rust coating for an extra 'pony', not going to get much bling as they are pretty well hidden by the rims but, living by the sea might give them a little protection from rusting.

So there you have it, decision made! Many thanks to all who have contributed, I am in the UK throughout the Xmas/New Year period so depending when I get back will decide when they are fitted.

regards

Dave

Rather than start a new thread I thought I would run with this. Now looking at the calliper options, euro 4xe have new rear callipers at a good price but they want the old units. I queried this as in two places it was mentioned they were reconditioned units. Then I was told it was to get the old cores rebuilt to sell as reconditioned, but the ones I would receive would definitely be new.

Never had any grief from these people but............

So looking at options, Rough Trax have brand new units for sale the rears similar in price to the euro 4x4 versions but Rough Trax front versions look to be a good deal, given my concerns I am thinking purchase all four callipers from them?

Milner's are recon units as are pretty much every others I have seen, anyone know of a supplier of new units and can come close or better Rough Trax prices?

regards

Dave

Bit late seeing as you've already ordered but you should be pleased with the MTEC discs. I have run the grooved option on my LC for a while without complaint. I would agree re pad choice though - I went OEM and I regret it. They seem to need to warm up a bit before working. I've got a set of the Milners pads to try next.

Bit late seeing as you've already ordered but you should be pleased with the MTEC discs. I have run the grooved option on my LC for a while without complaint. I would agree re pad choice though - I went OEM and I regret it. They seem to need to warm up a bit before working. I've got a set of the Milners pads to try next.

I think you have mis-read my post Lorin?

regards

Dave

Last edited:
Ditto

So a week of evenings research, and further reading has pointed me towards Emtec, hard to find anyone levelling any criticism at them or Piranha for that matter, their reputation, the good feedback/reviews and the sensible price made it easier to come to a decision.

So four Emtec discs and two sets of Mintex pads on the way over from the Emerald Isle.

Now to the various options, this was a little more difficult to sort the various opinions that abound in this area. There are dimpled/grooved/drilled C cuts and so on the opinions varied wildly, so making a choice I went with my head and a mental crossing of fingers.

I had already discounted having the drilled versions including drilled and grooved, this was information gleaned from my off road competition days. This has left me with the dimples and grooves or the C cut. The C cut seems to be the latest offering, nice to be at the leading edge of technology but, like Windows 'upgrades', I will let others do the 'beta' testing. So I have gone for the dimpled/grooved versions, they have been around for awhile and the reviews tend to say all good.

If there is a common theme of discontent with the grooved versions then it is actually NOT the disc, it tends to be how the pads work with them. It does seem that pad choice is particularly important, some have used 'X' pads and knocked them out in a couple of months! Some suffered glazing over and polishing after 6 -8 months however, the glazing was levelled more often than not at using OE pads on grooved discs. I did note that most reviewers who experienced pad problems had purchased their discs and pads from different sources, I could have done the same but am hoping here that Emtec have done their homework in this area. I had two choices Mintex or EBC yellow stuff, but with the EBC price around 2.5 times that of Mintex I would expect them to fly over and fit themselves!! I threw in the black anti rust coating for an extra 'pony', not going to get much bling as they are pretty well hidden by the rims but, living by the sea might give them a little protection from rusting.

So there you have it, decision made! Many thanks to all who have contributed, I am in the UK throughout the Xmas/New Year period so depending when I get back will decide when they are fitted.

regards

Dave

Hi Dave

I just fitted exactly the same combination to "Brenda" my 95 model 24 valve.
I havent done many miles as yet but initial improvement is good in srubbing off speed. I dispensed with the shims and used mintex brake lube on the rear of pads and on slider pins etc.
No whistling, juddering or excessive noise is occuring so im confident you (we) made the right choice.

Hi Dave

I just fitted exactly the same combination to "Brenda" my 95 model 24 valve.
I havent done many miles as yet but initial improvement is good in srubbing off speed. I dispensed with the shims and used mintex brake lube on the rear of pads and on slider pins etc.
No whistling, juddering or excessive noise is occuring so im confident you (we) made the right choice.

Always good to hear from first hand experience, did you do all four wheels? I have no shims now as I ditched them in favour of 100 series pads, the very slightest increase in pedal pressure but, life expectancy has been increased by about 25%, difficult to put a number on it but that would be a fair bet without any exaggeration.

Thanks for that,

regards

Dave

Always good to hear from first hand experience, did you do all four wheels? I have no shims now as I ditched them in favour of 100 series pads, the very slightest increase in pedal pressure but, life expectancy has been increased by about 25%, difficult to put a number on it but that would be a fair bet without any exaggeration.

Thanks for that,

regards

Dave

Yep Dave i did all 4 corners, I have the roughtrax braided brake lines still to fit as i didn't have much time to do the work.
I had an article from an Australian 4x4 magazine that did a brake refurb and had it measured to see which modifications are most effective and value for money, They used the brake rollers that are used during MOT's and G meters to provide the data. #1 modification was actually a full brake bleed so i'm gonna do that once the braided lines are installed.
I think im going to try the 100 pads next time around, i banged the anchors on to test them on a dry road and i couldnt get the the tyres to lock up but it pulled up pretty quick

Back