Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Break Problems

dwoodson

Country Flag
united_states
While driving the LC to work tonight I had a terrible thing happen. I went to apply the break, all is normal, then as I get close to stopping the break pedal goes hard as a rock and I loose most of my stopping power. I assumed an issue with the break booster, and I still do. Any thoughts on this problem?

Possible but a bit sudden? Engine off, pump the brake pedal until it is hard, then pressing lightly on the brake crank the engine, as it starts you should feel the brake pedal being pulled down, try that first. If not then could be the brake vacuum pump. front lower left of engine when viewed from behind. A leaking servo would normally do just that, it would have little or no reserve and you can normally here them 'hissing' at idle as air is drawn in from a round a failed seam or push rod entry.

regards

Dave

Last edited:
Brakes are rock hard while off, and while at idle, and while cranking the engine. They never get soft at all now. I looked for a loose or faulty vacuum line, but everything looked right. I also tripped an O2 sensor. I guess I will be chasing gremlins for a while.

Also, this problem was not all of a sudden, It happend a couple of times, then went back to normal. Then last night was the coup de gras (not sure on the spelling of that phrase). I had new tires put on it this morning, and the tire shop thought it was a brake booster as well.

Pull the vacuum line from the booster and check there is suction at the pipe whilst idling, if plenty of suction then yse the brake booster or associated components, if no vac then a new pump is on the shopping list.

regards

Dave

That is a good idea. I will look at that in just a bit! Thank You!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back