Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

breathers for an overlander

Reisverhartel

Garage
Country Flag
netherlands
Hi all,

Our hzj79 has adapted simple heightened breathers. Would you advice for an average future overlander to ask for the same for the diffs and transfer boxes. Their standard height is at which level? Top of the wheels? I suppose thar will be the max for an overlander?
Please your ideas?

I searched the other forum, so in this case the question is: with extended axle breathers on a HZJ79 with a 2.5 inch raise, what would be the safe wading depth for an average overlander. Not a hardcore offroader. No extension for transmission boxes, neither for the diffs.

Why don't you just extend the breather hoses from the axles and gearboxes to the engine compartiment and put small filters at the open end. This is what most overlanders do.
Some feed them into the aircleaner/snorkel, but I think that is a bit risky. If a breather hose comes loose at the axle end, water will be sucked into the engine.
Btw where in Holland are you from? I live at 20' from the dutch border.

Why don't you just extend the breather hoses from the axles and gearboxes to the engine compartiment and put small filters at the open end. This is what most overlanders do.
Some feed them into the aircleaner/snorkel, but I think that is a bit risky. If a breather hose comes loose at the axle end, water will be sucked into the engine.
Btw where in Holland are you from? I live at 20' from the dutch border.
Hi, ok, thanks for your reply. Axles are done. I wondered if it would be necessary to do the diffs and boxes. We live in Amsterdam. Indeed not so far!

Most people extend them to the engine bay using the kits that lots of companies now sell.

ARB, Opposite Lock, Piranha and a few others all sell proper kits with the hose and filters. :ugeek:

If you only ever plan on driving through very shallow water thats fine, but personally Id never fit them that low on a vehicle with a snorkel because if that river crossing ever turns a bit deeper and water is over the bonnet you now have to drain and replace the oil in all 4 diffs/boxes! Not good in the middle of no where! :thumbdown:

I'd much rather run a neat, single hose up the back of the snorkel and have the breathers, breathe from there! :icon-cool:

Most people extend them to the engine bay using the kits that lots of companies now sell.

ARB, Opposite Lock, Piranha and a few others all sell proper kits with the hose and filters. :ugeek:

If you only ever plan on driving through very shallow water thats fine, but personally Id never fit them that low on a vehicle with a snorkel because if that river crossing ever turns a bit deeper and water is over the bonnet you now have to drain and replace the oil in all 4 diffs/boxes! Not good in the middle of no where! :thumbdown:

I'd much rather run a neat, single hose up the back of the snorkel and have the breathers, breathe from there! :icon-cool:
Ok Ben, clear enough. Thanks for your answer.

Reactions: Ben
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back