Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Bummer !!!!!!!!

joinerman

Garage
The fixed penalty points on my licence ended last week, guess what i got yesterday ?

*******g camera van parked amongst a line of parked cars but the windows were high enough to see over them & me, i was just following the flow of traffic & i reckon i was doing 35 -36mph in a 30 limit, i know i was speeding before anyone points that out but what a bummer.

I hate to say this, but if you were speeding then you were speeding!! I know it is not nice, but I did my speed awareness course a few months ago!

Paul

I'm hoping i get offered the course paul, i know i was speeding & it's annoying the way these vans disguise their presence amongst parked cars

Unlucky,

When I am in UK, I am speeding every time I hop into the LC.
It's 40 in a 30
50 in a 40
etc, OK, it's not sociable, but that's that.

I don't tend to speed on the motorways, as I am conscious of the fuel consumption, but when i had the WS6 and the Corvette I would be north of 170 on short bursts.

Clean licence, it's just not fair ;)

Gra.

They aren't all checking for speed - some check for tax, stolen, insurance, crime related.

Also if they are checking speed and catch lots of people, anyone could challenge them and the whole lot could get off - happened to me in a similar situation (just came off 9 points - was a stressful year).

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I was the worlds worst offender and got done 3 times. Each time I knew that I was speeding but my neighbours seem to get them by accident. That's just as bad isn't it ?
When I was 45 yo and driving around Bham flat out everywhere doing 70mph down Hagley Road West which was 30 mph I suddenley realised how I would feel if I killed a person. So that day I concentrated on all the speed limits and decided to never speed again. That's when the accidents started to happen. Lack of concentration and turning into corners at an unusualy slow speed.

The worst time was in France doing 187 kph in the wet. We were approaching the Peage and saw Gendarme walking along the booths. I thought at our angles we are going to meet. So he took the max cash off me he was allowed to. Then the local magistrate decided I had not paid enough and I received a letter in England and had to send more money.

Frank

Last edited:
Learnt something new today, seems that if you get offered the speed awareness course now after you get home you get a time limit to go online & do a kind of exam or module which you have to pass to be able to avoid the points.

My neighbour avoided his points by going on a course. Then he got another ticket after a few months. As he was a slow learner they did not offer the course but took the points.

Frank

Apparently you can't do the course again within two years . . . UNLESS, you are caught in a different county, I got done in Warwickshire in 2010 and did the course and then got done again in 2011 in Surrey and did the course again even though I admitted I had done it before. :thumbup: when I queried this at my second course that was what I was told by the examiner.

Well it happened today, envelope dropped through the door, 37mph in a 30 but seems like I'm eligible for the awareness course.

My friend was done on the Thames Embankment which is a zero tolerance area. She showed me the ticket...32 in a 30!!

Frank

They should appeal on that one on the grounds of 10% speedo calibration allowance ie 30 + 10% = 33 mph.

Last edited:
They should appeal on that one on the grounds of 10% speedo calibration allowance ie 30 + 10% = 33 mph.

Doesn't matter. You are expected to know the accuracy of your speedo and drive accordingly. My father was done for exceeding the limit on his bike. He wasn't actually exceeding the limit but they said he was. Seems they failed to get him the day before so they got their own back.

Aren't our police wonderful.

Roger

You are expected to know the accuracy of your speedo and drive accordingly.
Roger
People like us probably do have some inclination of the innacuracies of our speedos but Mr Average may have no idea whatsoever about those sort of things so some allowance should be made. :think:

Chas, as far as the police are concerned, ignorance of the law is no excuse.

Under normal circumstances the police will allow you to exceed the limit by a degree but if an officer believes you are being reckless, bearing in mind the circumstances, narrow street, parked cars, kids playing etc, then they can be tough. I was once reprimanded for driving past a football ground at 20mph in a 30 limit because the fans were exiting the grounds.

Roger

It says on the fixed penalty form i have in front of me you can not do the course for a second time for THREE YEARS.

disagree, ignorance is no excuse.
here it is 15 over and you get the ticket but no demerits.
i lost my license 4 times from 15 to 25, then i bought my first LC ... no more tickets for almost 30 years. i had a close call and that slowed me down for a while.

i would rather see the speed limited raised by 10 k/h and zero tolerance than these tourasses that come flying through out small towns at 30-40 over.

speed kills - live forever - drive a Land Cruiser

In relation to the 30mph zone, the legislation does not give an element of leeway, unlike the higher limits of 40,50,National and 70. The Police may choose to prosecute from 31mph.

The higher limits allow 5% + 2mph (in practice the Police use a 10% figure as its simpler!)

My neighbour was moaning today about getting a ticket for 34mph in a 30 zone, but at a true speed of 34mph, her speedo was showing 38mph (by law they overead, also by 5% + 2mph!).

I've just applied for a job with one of the training companies that run the speed awareness courses in Avon + Somerset as a trainer, seems they are never short of people on the courses!

I dont mind sticking to the limits, especially with the spread of average speed cameras.

Pete

Last edited:
Back