Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Buyer beware : '52 D4D Colorado KDJ95

chadr

Garage
Country Flag
england
The friend that recently had an unfortunate accident with the rear end of a French lorry (- see ) went to see a Blue over Silver 52 reg D4D KDJ95 in Peterborough yesterday. The price was relatively low and it had some dings (front bonnet/bumper and rear bumper) which reflected the lower price. Other than the dings the car looked good on paper - FTSH and just over 100k miles.

However when he went to inspect it, turns out that one of the radiator input or output for the autobox cooler have been sealed off with what looks like some kind of putty and the hose simply tied off.
:shock:

I have full details but don't want to post them all here as I'm not sure of the forum rules or legalities.

However, I trust that the truck's description above should be give enough warning to any potential buyer to either avoid or check it out VERY thoroughly.

So what you're saying is that they should be checking it out to the "Max" for any other hidden horrors? :whistle:

Why can't you post the advert link?
Can't see any thing wrong with that.
As long as your not defamatory.

Did you get any pictures of the bodge job, by any chance, or is that going too far?

Gra.

It's a "buyer beware" post, post all the details! It's for the buyer to be warned and make his/her own assessment.

If the pipes are tied off then surely the oil would not be pumped around the gearbox which would either make it not work or stop working quite quickly??

OK, here are the details;

The reg of the car is RX52 AYH and is for sale with www.maxmotors2.co.uk - it a Blue 52 reg D4D Colorado LWD.

Here is a (phone) pic of the bottom of the rad - as you can see even in the semi-dark conditions the bodge is pretty obvious.

Attachments

• IMAG0191.jpg
    IMAG0191.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 129
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yes, it does look quite recent - can't be more than a few days/weeks old. You can also see the hose that should be attached to that outlet wrapped round the other hose in the background.

That's scandalous,
I wonder if the garage know? may be they have been conned into taking it in PX ?
No, surely, I guess they do know, as I would have thought they will put it up on a ramp at some time before putting it on the forecourt?
So what if some one bought it, unknowingly, and after a thousand miles maybe, the putty came off, and dumped all the engine cooling water, only to destroy the engine?
Would the auto box, be OK without a cooler, if it wasn't working too hard?

Gra.

I would have thought though that at best, if you wanted to bypass the oil cooler you would have to connect the two pipes to allow the (now hot) oil to flow. Blanking the pipes off (I cannot see, are the pipes also blanked or connected together?) would just stop the oil flow in the gearbox unless there is a bypass inside it? If this is the case then would the box even work? Guessing pretty poorly with the TC not full.

If buying from a dealer is it still “as-seen” or is there a consumer law which means you cannot “knowingly” sell something which is not fit for purpose.

Thats just plain nasty is that one.
Are they even the right lights in the rear bumper?

Gra.

Attachments

• LC1.jpg
    LC1.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 90
  • LC2.jpg
    LC2.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 94
  • LC3.jpg
    LC3.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 108
  • LC4.jpg
    LC4.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 94
  • LC5.jpg
    LC5.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 108
  • LC6.jpg
    LC6.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 116
If buying from a dealer is it still “as-seen” or is there a consumer law which means you cannot “knowingly” sell something which is not fit for purpose.

No such thing as sold as seen, even from a private buyer. Ask any trading standards dept ;).

All's well that ends well :icon-biggrin:

My mate's just bought one tonight - identical spec/colour to the above but a '02 64K miler for nearly £8k, which is a bit rich for me but it's a minter apparently.

Back