Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Cancelling Sky, whats left to view

Paul

Garage
Country Flag
england
Gradually shutting down all the services on the house and the sky is one of them.

As the equipment stays will it still show any basic channels as seem to remember people buying up old systems just for a few channels.

IIRC you will still get most of the terrestrial freeview channels plus loads of shopping channels.

Hi Paul,

there should be a few free to air channels on the Sky satellite - like BBC1,2,3,4, ITV1,2,3 and Channel 4. For Ch 5 I think you needed a card. There should be a few other channels. You can get these with a standard (as used in the rest of Europe) satellite box so I would imagine you should be able to watch these channels on a Sky box w/o subscription.

cheers

Reinhard

Will it get the same channels as the FreeSat service?

Gary Stockton said:
Will it get the same channels as the FreeSat service?

Yes but you need to get a card from Sky which will turn the box into a FreeSat receiver. I think Sky charge about £20 for the card iirc. Oh and if its a Sky HD box then you will get the free HD channels too (BBC 1, ITV1, 4, BBC HD etc).

I have done the same thing as I was on a good deal which came to an end and they where not going to extend it so I told them to get lost.

You get all the channels that are on freesat but loose all functionality of the box so cannot record, pause or play anything you have saved in the past. One other thing that is frustrating is that the menu still shows all the sky channels so until you try them you have no idea is you get the channel or not which is irritating but I guess a ploy to try and get you too come back.

After some time you soon learn the channels you can watch and their numbers but prior to that there is a lot of surfing the menu to find something to watch.

I do miss sky but refuse to pay full price for what they offer.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Pretty much. One main exception was Channel 5 - although you could get it on Freeview, you needed a card from Sky to receive it. The channels you could get were BBC1,2,3,4, the ITV's, Channel 4, Film 4 and some channels showing old/B films. There are a bunch of shopping channels and I think there was a South African tourism promotion channel for a while as well, but it closed down. Its been a while since I played with this stuff - I am on Virgin Media now - but I used to use a Common Interface Satellite Receiver (not a Sky Box)

edit: and no card required - but obviously you couldnt get the encrypted channels

Back in the day my Mum bought a telly for the Coronation and all the road came up to watch. Now that WAS impressive. Better than some new AP. I was an original subscriber to Sky and just have the basic package but with all the adverts which are mostly lies/spin I am tempted to pull the plug. Ad time the other day was 11 minutes out of 60. And then I'm supporting the Murdochs which annoys me. If it wasn't for the crime channels and "The Dog Whisperer" I would leave and when they become repeats I'l call it a day. Have you noticed that programmes are repeated having different titles to confuse you?

Frank

I wouldn't have sky if it was half the price !!

The future is downloadable TV on demand.
The internet is plugged into a TV box thing, and the red, white, & yellow connect into the TV.
Almost no scart here at all.
Here, almost all TV is via internet, which tells me there must be huge internet capacity.
The TV documentaries, the news, the movies, all search able for live stream download.

In the villages where the internet isn't as fast or developed as the cities, they all watch "free satellite" with small (40cm) dishes.

UK Sky, forget it, my mum got shut a few months ago.

Gra.

Sell your sky box on fleabay - if its an HD set someone will buy it, sky wont replace them when they break after a year, so secondhand working ones have a value.

Pete

Back