Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Cannot remove Alternator

M0381U5

Country Flag
australia
Hi everyone,

I am new to this form and this is my first post, and am having difficulty removing the failed Alternator in my HZJ80.

Its seems to be the silliest thing. I have changed several alternator in other cars and the process is fairly straight forward, but.....

I have removed removed the AC, to access the alternator easier,
and have removed the pivot/hinge bolt, as well as the adjustment bolt and lock in bolt.
The alternator is loose and moving around on the hinge,
But it will not come out of the mounting bracket!!!
and has started to get the better of me.

I have no regard for the old alternator and have tried to hammer it but it will not come out.
For the love of me I cannot figure out why.
There seems to be a sleeve at the front mount bracket where you put the pivot/hinge bolt through,
and I thought that may have been pushed back through and was getting caught on the alternator itself.
It is the weirdest thing.
The back of the alternator can move up and down, backwards and wards no worries,
but the front seems to be stuck on something.

Like I said, I have bashed it with a hammer, and use and cheap old screw drive to hammer down between the alternator and the mount,
but still no go.

Has anyone any idea what it could be, or is it the bolt sleeve on the pivot/hinge bolt entry hole.
Will try and get some picture tomorrow and post so it is clear that everything has been done properly.

Thanks in advance for your help

That front sleeve should push all the way into the front alternator plate and fall out the other side if pushed far enough. They are tight though. If you can squeeze the front alternator bracket and engine/alternator mounting bracket together that should push the sleeve in. It's probably been running loose at sometime and has worn a shoulder on the engine bracket.

As Frank indicates, there is nothing hidden holding the alternator in place on these things. Top slidy bracket and a pin bolt going underneath through the mounts on the block. No magic. But they are a tight fit. They are always a tight fit. Anything out of kilter and it could be jammed in there. I share your frustration. Presume that all of the bolt came out? Have you poked something in one end and out of the other underneath the alternator/.

Thanks guys for you help.
Just needed a rubber mallet, with a few taps it was out!

Back