Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Can't figure out a clunk noise

^ great to know you found the clunk and replaced the front LCA bushes...did the bolts come out easily? did you replace both sides?

lekiboy said:
^ great to know you found the clunk and replaced the front LCA bushes...did the bolts come out easily? did you replace both sides?

I started having a go at doing the front lower bushes myself at about 4 in the afternoon, but when I got to the point where I saw that I would need to move the steering rack to get the rear bolts out, I realised that I would run out of daylight (I do the work on my driveway), so I put it all back together again with the old bushes still in.

In the meantime I have now found someone who will fit the new suspension and all the control arm bushes (front and rear) for £150. At the moment a weekend is worth £150 to me, so I'm just going to get them to do it for me.

I have now had all the suspension bushes changed... except for the front lower control arm bushes which I think could be the problem. These are going to be a real pain in the butt to get out!

After fitting the suspension lift, the klonk has gotten a lot worse! It now also happens if I pull in and out of parking spaces. I wonder if the inner track rod ends could be part of the problem...?? The angle on these has also changed, and the klonk is still only on the one side.

Did you eliminate the possibility of elongated holes in the rear lower control arms. I notice that you didn't respond to that particular post at the time. It really is worth checking out. Took me a while to find it. If you get one CLONK then it's generally something large and related to one particular movement, often in one direction. It takes something else to reset it so that it goes clonk again.

The front mounting bolts tend to wear a slot in the bracket just under the rear door area. Take the bolts out, drop one arm and inspect the hole for being round.

Until you do that, then you could be chasing this round for some time. Eliminate the know common issues first I'd say.

Will look in the archives for some pics if I have any

Chris

Chris said:
Did you eliminate the possibility of elongated holes in the rear lower control arms. I notice that you didn't respond to that particular post at the time. It really is worth checking out. Took me a while to find it. If you get one CLONK then it's generally something large and related to one particular movement, often in one direction. It takes something else to reset it so that it goes clonk again.

To be honest I had actually forgotten about this... :doh: However the klonk got significantly worse (louder and happens more often e.g. now in and out of parking spaces which it didn't do before) straight after fitting the spacers on the front struts. So this brings me back to the problem probably being in front somewhere. Although unlikely, do you think a problem at the back could be influenced by the taller suspension in front?

I will post pics of the CV angles on the diff drop thread.

Well the thing is that being in the chassis, it can sound like it's coming from anywhere.

Changing the suspension changes all the comfortable places that your old bushes etc have settled into.

Checking the mounting holes is a good place to look. Quick, easy and it's either eliminated or confirmed.

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
OK, rear mounting holes all checked and fine.

The clunk can be induced if I brake and turn left i.e. like when coming to a stop at a junction where I intend to turn left. Could it be something to do with the panhard rod (which also got new poly bushes)? It definitely sounds like it is coming from under the truck towards the middle/rear somewhere.

OK, rear mounting holes all checked and fine.

The clunk can be induced if I brake and turn left i.e. like when coming to a stop at a junction where I intend to turn left. Could it be something to do with the panhard rod (which also got new poly bushes)? It definitely sounds like it is coming from under the truck towards the middle/rear somewhere.

Hey newbie here!
Sorry to dig again in an old thread.

I’m from Venezuela. I have an 2001 auto 95 series Prado with 5vzfe petrol engine that has the same clunk you have/had, same symptoms. I have already replaced every part I can think on the front end (even the steering rack), and still have the clunk.

Did you find the source of your clunk?

How do you check the rear trailing arms? You lift the rear and put jack stands before? Could be a silly question but I don’t fear to pass as an idiot. Lol

Werner

Back