Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Can't figure out a clunk noise

fridayman

Garage
When I reverse out of my driveway on full lock left, then turn full lock right when I go forward again (effectively heading away in the opposite direction that I was parked), I get a clunk as I start moving forward. It sounds like something that started binding that then snaps loose, and it only does it once (until I repeat the whole procedure). The truck only does it when going left back followed by right forward, not when full lock reversing right followed by forward and full lock left. So today I change the right outer CV but it is still doing it. Anyone have any idea..? Left CV perhaps? Or anything else someone can think of?

to be honest i have the same on mine and i am damned if i can find it, I think it might be the spring twisting as I go from lock to lock, mine only ever does it coming off my drive I cant get it to do it anywhere else :evil:

Might just be a Landcruiser thing :think:

I think tomorrow I will get the missus to drive it very slowly and will walk next to the truck and have a listen to see if it makes it any clearer. Pity I replaced a perfectly good Toyo CV with an aftermarket item...

J66P said:
at least you have a spare

Not sure if the "pipe trick" has damaged it - I will clean it up and hang on to it anyway.

Do 90s have leaf springs? If so it could be that. If not then I'm barking up entirely the wrong tree.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
How about engine/gearbox mounts.
Maybe even body mounts? All easy checks with a lever and spanner.

Oh yes, how about steering rack being loose.

Nick Shepherd said:
Do 90s have leaf springs? If so it could be that. If not then I'm barking up entirely the wrong tree.

Coils all round

Paul said:
How about engine/gearbox mounts.
Maybe even body mounts? All easy checks with a lever and spanner.

Oh yes, how about steering rack being loose.

Now we are straying back into foreign territory for me - I'll do some reading up and look into these. Only happens in one direction though...

Someone on another forum has a similar problem that turned out to be a brake hose collapsing on full lock.

All the steering rack bushes have been replaced in the last month and this problem didn't change before/after. Also recently changed tie rod ends and drop links, with no change to this problem.

I am thinking that its a control arm bush but damned if i can find it, and you have set me off looking again :evil: :naughty: :naughty:

Didn't Chris have a problem with Lil' Blue that turned out to be a rear trailing arm mounting hole elongated on the chassis? He had a knock which sounds similiar to what you are describing.

fridayman said:
When I reverse out of my driveway on full lock left, then turn full lock right when I go forward again (effectively heading away in the opposite direction that I was parked), I get a clunk as I start moving forward. It sounds like something that started binding that then snaps loose, and it only does it once (until I repeat the whole procedure). The truck only does it when going left back followed by right forward, not when full lock reversing right followed by forward and full lock left. So today I change the right outer CV but it is still doing it. Anyone have any idea..? Left CV perhaps? Or anything else someone can think of?

exactly the same with what happened to mine- (going left back followed by right forward)...it turned out to be the front lower control arm bushings - LCAs..... it took me 3 months to discover the cause...i also mistakenly replaced my right CV joint....tsk tsk.

you probably have one side only damaged but it would be good to have both replaced. you need someone to do it for you...the right tools are very important.

Awesome! What sort of special tools are we talking about?

And where can I order a complete set of polybushes (for the whole truck)?

I did. It was the bushes that wore allowing the control arm to get 'run up' at the bolt inside. Eventually after slamming back and forth for a while, the hole elongated slightly and despite the bolt being tight, certain motion 'fired' the arm back and forth with a right clunk. Solution was to make some plates with a new and precise hole in them which I welded over the bracket. Super strong and no more clunk.

Chris

fridayman said:

You may want to use OEM Toyota bushings...I heard that the polybushes squeak. To order, no idea. Am based in Manila. :(
The bolts that hold the bushes in the arms tend to get stubborn and get stuck. An acetylene torch was used by my mechanic. We just replaced the bolts. Some have easier times like Chris, most don't. :)

lekiboy said:
fridayman said:

You may want to use OEM Toyota bushings...I heard that the polybushes squeak. To order, no idea. Am based in Manila. :(
The bolts that hold the bushes in the arms tend to get stubborn and get stuck. An acetylene torch was used by my mechanic. We just replaced the bolts. Some have easier times like Chris, most don't. :)

After changing the diff oil, drop links and tie rods I am no stranger to stubborn bolts any more. The gas torch comes out with the tool chest for all first time jobs now :)

Hi,

Hi, probush now do a complete set of bushes for the 90 not chhep though. They come suplied with a special grease to stop the squeek.....I have had mine fitted for arround a year now still no squeeks.

Steve

I had a similar clunk noise and a bit of grease on the knuckles did the tick. Hope this helps

Knuckles? On a 90. Are we sure?

Chris

While under the truck last weekend we found that the left lower control arm bushes are knackered - most likely the source of my clunk.

As an aside, my truck developed a rather annoying squeak a couple of weeks ago. Turns out that the white grease that came with the Milners steering rack poly bushes is not that good, so I cleaned and re-greased them with red rubber grease (silicon based). No more squeaking :)

Back