Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Cant open lower tailgate - help!

pberrey

Country Flag
uk
As the title suggests the lock(s) will not release and let me open the lower tailgate. Im 90% certain that its only the nearside lock which is the problem. I think the offside does release but the tailgate doesnt flex much so you cant pull it out far to confirm the lock has released.

I've taken the inspection hatches off the tailgate and I've even cut out a new hole next to the lock but whilst it allows me to push/pull the internal door release rod the lock mechanism itself is on the outside of the door and is completely inaccessible.

Any ideas??

Cheers
Paul

Never looked at mine, sorry, if I get a chance will have a look tomorrow.

The central handle works both of the side locks so it sounds as if one side control rod has come adrift. I think you'll have to persevere with a torch and mirror to see what has happened.. I assume the central locking has indeed released and that the suspicion that only one side is stuck is not a red herring.

The rod is definitely connected and moving through its full range. The panel ive just cut out allows me to manipulate the lever directly but it still wont release the lock.

Are you sure there is central locking on the lower tailgate? I didnt think there was but that is just an assumption on my part. It would explain why its not budging if there is a failed actuator or something.

My only option seems to be to smash the light cluster to remove it so i can get at the lock's bolts.

Paul.

Central locking is on the top gate. Pretty sure the lower gate is manual.

I have had one stick before and in the end it really was a case of operating the lever and just one almighty pull. It was more jammed than locked. The locking rod, as I understand it. needs only to move a very small amount to unlock. So if it is moving then there is a good chance it is technically not locked.

Done.

I had to break the lower tab of the nsr light cluster to get enough clearance to be able to get a 10mm spanner onto the lock's bolts. After that it was a case of giving a yank and watching the plastic bit that goes on the end of the rod fly out of the inspection hole I cut out yesterday. Fortunately i found it on the second row seats.

The problem turned out to be dry dirt which had gummed up the mechanism so although the rod was moving the lever it wasn't releasing internally.

So after ten minutes if tapping it with a hammer half of the Sahara had fallen out and I decided to reuse it.

I strongly recommend you go out now and give the three locks on the tailgate a tapping. If they are like mine you will be amazed how much crud falls out if them

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
.... So after ten minutes if tapping it with a hammer half of the Sahara had fallen out and I decided to reuse it.
For what?.... making a sand castle perhaps :think:

NSR light cluster removed by force. You dont need to remove the inner housing unless you want to check for trapped water/rust. Lock and hasp removed from the lower tailgate. Note the inspection hole I cut in the tailgate. I didnt have a problem doing that because I intend to cover the tailgate with a chequer plate and bedline the entire boot with Upol Raptor.
IMG_0725.JPG

Light clusters refitted, locks back on and everything working.
IMG_0728.JPG

I put my success down to having colour coded grease. It is proven to be 8% more effective than other non-colour coded lubrication products.

IMG_0726.JPG

Back