Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Car SOS - doing a Landcruiser

well its aired, mine looked great on TV, Adam seemed really chuffed to get his back, hope he enjoys it. the CAR SOS guys were here filming for about 6 hours! all for 2 mins of TV, dont think i will get any BAFTA nomination, was good to see one on TV, cheers Jon
Can i have your autograph?...

Quote "It’s first and foremost, “entertainment” aimed at the masses, not educational detailing the numerous processes, technicalities and problems involved in vehicle restoration."

Absolutely right. If you want that then you need to watch Wheeler Dealers

Never realised the old FJ’s had GRP bodies. Nice looking winch though.

When you consider that the FJ40, when it was launched, was up against S1 and S2 LR,s with wheezy little 2 and 2:2 litre engines, that’s one reason why is was so well respected.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Never realised the old FJ’s had GRP bodies. Nice looking winch though.

As stock they came with Steel bodies... but like so many Toyota products, they don't stand up to corrosion that well... and most Australian Cruisers live a hard life at somepoint, so they do rust a bit.

Resulting from that, there are a number of companies that make GRP replacement parts, ranging from doors, roofs and wings to whole tubs for SWB's and Troopys.

At least they were impressed and said it was one of the best vehicles they'd ever had on the show. Well you can't argue with that. Very pleased for the lad. I hope he gets some enjoyment from it. Anyone who loves a Cruiser that much deserves some help.

Hey and best of all Fuzz had the right sized socket for the stub axle nuts. Result.

You can see the Blue Mod plate for the GRP body, which means that it was at least done properly - you can spot it when they start to strip the body back.

I suspect that it's a Noosa body, as the Mod Plate is from QLD by the looks of it, and they've been doing them for a few years.

Some of the detailing is nice - I like the gloss black detail features on it. I keep getting tempted to do the hinges on mine etc in black.

Interesting new instrument cluster as well - I've been looking at the digital options from the USA for mine in the future.

Just a shame Fuzz made a song and dance about using grease in the front knuckles being a 'cheat', if he had checked the manuals the production team were offered he would have been able to do the job properly.

All the 40s we have seen here have had steel bodies so the GRP version is a rare conversion.

They are lovely little trucks, we have an immaculate 1980 one in the workshop now and are in the middle of a total restoration of a '76 one.

Back