Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

carputer

SpinDrift

Supporter
Garage
My Acer Revo carputer has died - just a few weeks before I am heading to Morocco!! When I try to power it up either in the car or using the mains adapter it just flashes on and switches itself off again with going through the boot sequence or self check. I tried changing the CMOS battery and reseating the RAM but have not had any luck. I need a replacement quick.

Has anyone tried one of these? http://linitx.com/product/12918 You have to add RAM and hard disk. At less than £150 it seems to be good value.

I will be loading my waypoints on both the carputer and on my Garmin Nuvi and will be carrying paper maps and compass ... redundant systems ;)

Not had that one but bought plenty from them. Always next day free delivery.
Seems like a good price for the lot.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

No edit...

Not sure on the psu on that. You need a specific one for cars. That one says 12V which would require a regulated supply. It normally goes into over voltage protection at 13.2V as it is not for autos.
Something like http://linitx.com/product/12828

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

Yes, it would need a regulated PSU. I had bought this http://linitx.com/product/12679 from them to run the Revo. As I call I had set it to output 18v or 19v so I will have to reprogramme it to 12v. I will also be re-using the SSD I had installed in the Revo.

btw - I dont know what went wrong with the Revo but it didn't last year in the car. Maybe it was the drop in temperture that messed it up?!?!?

did you try unplugging the hard drive? Sounds like a power problem, not a motherboard / RAM issue.

Yes, I removed the SSD and reconnnected it. But I dont think it was the drive as I would otherwise have got a 'boot disk not found' error. When it switches on, which is not always, the power indicator comes on for 1 or 2 seconds and then goes out again.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
drives can shut a PSU down, so I meant disconnect it and leave it disconnected while you try again. Bit of a long shot but it wouldn't be the first time. Anything else you can unplug do so, including memory and it should at least beep at you repeatedly. Check what voltage your external PSU is supplying once the computer has shut itself back down, could be just an external PSU fault.

Ok, I'll try it in the morning. Also I have the original hard disk, so I can try plugging that in instead to see what happens.

just leave as much unplugged as possible then if power stays on you know it's something you unplugged, the motherboard should still power up even if it's only to beep at you when it notices it has no RAM :) Does it have a CD/DVD drive? If so, unplug it. Video card? remove it. USB devices plugged in? you can guess the next bit :mrgreen:

Cool to read this, I was busy placing an order from an USA supplier, but these guys have everything I need...

Jon Wildsmith said:
just leave as much unplugged as possible then if power stays on you know it's something you unplugged, the motherboard should still power up even if it's only to beep at you when it notices it has no RAM :) Does it have a CD/DVD drive? If so, unplug it. Video card? remove it. USB devices plugged in? you can guess the next bit :mrgreen:

Hi Jon,

I took everything that could be removed off the board. All I get is a long beep when I connect the power then it turns itself off and does not respond to the power switch being pressed. A search in google reveals that the 'flatline beep' indicates a defective mother board. I think I will park the Revo for now and get a replacement PC. I might have another look at it at some time in the future.

thanks

Reinhard

scalci said:
Cool to read this, I was busy placing an order from an USA supplier, but these guys have everything I need...

Yes, they are pretty good. Quite a few of us have their touch screens and psu's, and now it looks like I will have one of their PC's.

Most of the parts for the car pc's I've built have come from linitx and they're lasting well.

Back