Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

CB on an overland vehicle?

Rob

Garage
I have a CB but I am wondering if I actually need it on my trip to Mongolia and back travelling mainly through Russia, Ukraine and the EU. We will be travelling solo so we will not need it for group communication. I will have a satellite phone as well so I cant think of a scenario where it will come in useful. ATM I'm thinking it's just another thing that might get nicked. What do you think?

You would need (I am guessing) an all singing one because of the differing frequencies / channels in various countries.
If I had one, I would take it but in reality it's likely to be quiet or full of foreign language chatter.

Wouldn't bother with it, Rob - while you may know the rules for CB use in the UK/EU, what are the rules for Russia and the other CIS countries? You may need a licence or permit, which may cost money and be time-consuming to get - do you want the hassle?
You're likely to attract some attention from border officials and possibly policemen while on your journey because of your foreign plates - you do not want to give them any reason to harass you. If CBs are not in common use in the remoter places (and I would suspect that they may not be) you do not want them accusing you of spying and listening in to military frequencies etc.
Chances are you would be fine with the CB but given the potential hassles it causes, there are no upsides to having it. In emergencies you have a satphone, so it's not even a useful back-up system.

My opinion would be to leave it! :mrgreen:

Cheers,

yeh I would leave it...

if you are not in a group there is no need really..
I imagine some non EU country's don't like em much from what I hear...

My mate had to hide his before going into Russia when he went..
I have mine in the truck normally when going Holland and have some banter with the truck drivers but then again I speak the language and I am travelling alone in the truck.
When she comes I never even turn the bugger on..

So I would not bother either..

Whilst I wouldn't bother with the CB it is often worth taking along a pair of hand held PMR radios in case you do hook up with some fellow travellers. They are also reasonably handy around town.

Julian Voelcker said:
Whilst I wouldn't bother with the CB it is often worth taking along a pair of hand held PMR radios in case you do hook up with some fellow travellers. They are also reasonably handy around town.

good point.... :D

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks for the input guys and good point about legalities, which reminds me, remember when GPS was illegal in Russia?

I would leave the CB - but also go search on HUBB to see if there's any recent commentary about radio usage, just to be sure ....

Any idea on CB license issues overlanding through Africa?

Do you need a license in SA? Will my UK/EU CB work in SA? or does it need some tuning?

questions questions... :mrgreen:

Back