Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

CDL Question

I won't be doing the pin 7 conversion then ;) :thumbup:

CDL Switch arrived today from Karl :thumbup: :dance:

All I need is a bit of peace and quiet one afternoon and I will get cracking with the mod :thumbup:

Thanks all for the advice and help. Its very much appreciated. :thumbup:

Ecoman said:
All I need is a bit of peace and quiet one afternoon and I will get cracking with the mod :thumbup:
Two minute job Bill - the hardest part I found was locating the bit on the loom as it had slipped down in the X years since leaving the factory

Yah'll be fine :cool:

Yours was hard Gav. IIRC it took two of us with both hands to pull yours out in the woods that day. You had to grab one end and hold it whilst I did the business.

Still it was worth it just to see the relief on your face as you went up and down.

Eh?

Chris

LOL chris

I remember coming back to camp and you did both look very happy :shock:

Karl

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
karl webster said:
Did everything arive then bill ? :thumbup:

KArl

Karl it has just arrived today, many thanks mate. I have just unpacked a box of dash panels etc and all is spot on. :thumbup: All you have to do now is send me the invoice :? :lol:

Looks like I have a few jobs to do over the xmas holidays so best get cracking and rip out the old dash and in with the shiney wood bits :cool: While its all out I can do a few other jobs too like wiring in the CDL switch, ripping out all the ancient satnav and cellphone wiring, wiring up extra power points and fitting my CB.

And after breakfast..?

That's not proper work. That's tinkering.

Chris

:lol:

Chris does have a point bill :whistle:

Glad your goodies arived safe :thumbup:

Karl

Thats between stopping my 4 year old daughter from washing the Lancruiser with daddys wire brush. :o

Seriously though its gonna be fun behind the dash as there are wires all over and I have to figure out what is for the new DVD system, whats for the over complicated alarm system and what was left after I removed the early 90s car phone, flip out TV and CD driven sat nav with wired remote. Its so full behind there that the current dash doesn't clip together properly and bulges where it shouldn't :shock:

Right I finally got around to fitting the new dashboard. While it was out I ripped out all the unwanted wiring and filled a black bin liner with the stuff!!! :o I have never seen so much spaghetti stuffed behind a dash before. No wonder the dash didn't fit right :roll:

Anyway I fitted the CDL switch at the same time. I plugged the new switch into the connector behind the dash. I then crawled underneath and disconnected the plug from the one o'clock position on the transfer box and covered the ends with grease and slipped a nitrile glove thumb over each and secured with a cable tie and vulcanising rubber tape. I then tested the switch and it works. I can now lock the centre diff in high and low ratios and when Low ratio is engaged it doesn't lock automatically. :dance:

I didn't do the pin 7 conversion as I didn't want the silly gear changes back. I tested it off road and its so much smoother and its not trying to give me whiplash every time it changes gear. :thumbup:

The only issue I now have to address is that the front and rear diffs don't lock until the CDL switch is engaged. Is there a way of fooling the system into thinking the CDL is engaged so I can have full control over all the diff locks?

Thanks for your help with all this so far guys :thumbup: :bow-yellow:

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, but seemed appropriate. Does anyone know if this is a mod that can be as easily done on a 90 series???

Chris, doesn't the 90 series already allow you to engage low range with or without locking the CD? If that's the case, then not sure what you're modding for? :cool:

I don't think so. If it does then I have never found it. got 1 twist switch on dash for real locker and the transfer stick to left of gear stick. H HL N LL no low unlocked.

Ok, is the CDL on the 90 mechanically or electronically operated? If electronic, you could do the same as on the 80 and disconnect the switch that detects LR being engaged. If the CDL is mechanical, then I think you have no choice when you engage LR, the CD is locked.

Ecoman said:
...its so much smoother and its not trying to give me whiplash every time it changes gear. :thumbup:
Its like driving a different truck with this mod isn't it!!! Glad you got it all sorted & are a happy bunny Bill :cool:

Ecoman said:
The only issue I now have to address is that the front and rear diffs don't lock until the CDL switch is engaged. Is there a way of fooling the system into thinking the CDL is engaged so I can have full control over all the diff locks?
This has been discussed before & the main debate seemed more along the lines of why would this level of control actually be required - I don't think an answer was ever put forward as to whether it could be done though...

An unlocked CDL is not desirable, as for an example, say you had your CDL unlocked & front & rear axle locked.

As above, front & rear axles are locked, with the centre diff unlocked. We have no traction (wheels spinning) on the back axle. All drive will follow the path of least resistance, so all drive will be directed by the transfer box to the rear axle (which has no grip).

Now, if you lock the transfer box, the drive will be split between front & rear axle (this makes the front & rear propshafts turn at the same rate). Hopefully you well get grip on at least one front wheel, & this will pull you out. If the front axle was unlocked, again as before, the drive will follow the path of least resistance, so if you've got a wheel in the air, you'll just spin that wheel.

Locking the front axle would then turn both wheels at the same rate irrespective of traction.

A full time 4 wheel drive with open diffs is basically a one wheel drive when you lose traction!

Having everything locked is great for pulling you out of a hole or a cross axle situation, but not very good for driving on a high traction surface.

90 is a different kettle of herrings Andrew. The CDL is locked before you get to low range. High open, high locked then low and locked. The lever is mechanical although as explained by Bob in a post some while back, the lever is not a direct connection to the CDL. It still has an intermediary device that has to wait for the innards to align before locking. So essentially in order to have full control it would be a supreme piece of work IMO.

Frankly, having owned 2 x 90 series, I found the system most satisfactory as designed. I added a front locker too of course. Because I could. Low ratio without the CDL would be an interesting combination, but not one that I ever needed. Maybe reversing a trailer up a steep slope perhaps, but the 90 has a lot of grunt anyway.

Chris

Back