Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Centre Diff Lock Switch.

They did Frank, AFAIAA the GS model had them fitted. Now whether that is peculiar to models without ABS and viscous coupling I'm not sure.

Just as I thought, p80-82 in the owners manual covers this subject. It would appear that these switches were fitted to models without ABS, these would also not have VC's fitted as ABS needs a VC to work.

From the owners manual:-

As far as I can see, it doesn't say in the owners manual what the maximum speed the CDL can be engaged but from experience I know it automatically disengages the ABS system.

Well if the cars were better handling with constant CDL there would be an option switch to switch it off. With a "switch on" not well experienced drivers, crowded narrow roads in UK I would have thought it dangerous especially with people forgetting to turn it off. Or perhaps they did away with the switch due to VC.

I think the history of 4WD on tarmac was that early cars had to have locked props in low range because the torque from the transfer box would tear the difs out if the wheels got stuck.

If other UK cars have CDL high range switches I stand corrected, but do any showroom models still have them. Just because they have does that make them safe ?

I would imagine all 4 wheel drives these days are electronically controlled. My 100 has the centre diff lock switch on the dash but I've never used it. The only time I've had it in low range since I've had it was to pull a 26 tonne truck off the carriageway of the A1 200 yards to a layby ( when my dipstick son ran it out of diesel) which it did with remarkable ease.

I wouldn't say a locked CD is particularly 'dangerous' on tarmac. It's certainly mechanically undesireable as it does the whole trans no good at all. A correctly functioning VC largely negates the requirement for locking the CD on the road anyway. Removing the option to fully lock the CD means the mechanically ignorant can't do any damage. Maybe this is the way the manufacturer sees it? When the first full time 4wd shoguns came out Mitsi cited this as better for the average driver as it removes the 'decision' of when to engage/disengage 4wd so is ultimately safer.

I know my facelift 100 has the switch as standard. I had pressed it by accident and thought it was stuck in lock. I had the locker off the gearbox when Jon came round and pointed at the switch. Brilliant.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
My missus 2010 rav 4 has cdl dash switch.

IMG_1363.JPG
Advice in the Toyota 100 manual to leave CDL off for better vehicle control.

I often use it on fast dusty road when campo driving, There is less wheel spin from the rear when cornering fast so the back does not try to step out so much.

regards

Dave

It is also the same when driving on icy tarmac, locking the center diff when driving in situations where there is poor traction improves vehicle stability in my experience, how the VC center diff works by comparison I can't say as I have never driven a cruiser fitted with one.

I would assume that the owners manual is written with the assumption that the mechanically illiterate/uneducated (idiots) are going to be reading it and operating the vehicle and therefore errs on the side of caution in today's litigious society.

For me Frank, it is used for the tracks not for the road so unsure what it would be like? Interesting that Mr T went for the VC centre, it is in effect a differential lock....that slips, so only half dangerous? 8>)

Smilies no worky?

regards

Dave

On a snow covered road, i drive with the cdl on constantly.

This conversation has been had before but the VC, which is effectively just a LSD, does make a difference, especially in snow etc. It means you get (almost) the benefit of a locked CD without the worry of transmission windup/damage when you're on grippy tarmac so, as I mentioned in an earlier post, there's no CD lock on/off decision to be made by the driver. My '89 Sierra 4x4 had a similar setup, as did the original Audi Quattro from the 80's which pioneered the system.

The VC is indeed a good thing which is why I retro fitted one to my GS. In snow with the CD unlocked, I hit the gas in a straight line and found the back end immediately tried to step out. With it locked and the power applied it didn't. It was interesting to feel the difference with what I presume is the power split 60/40 rear and front. I have locked it on the motorway when I have seen significant water build up too. The VC does make a difference but if you lock the CD the stability is much improved, especially if the water is only on say the passenger side.

I wouldn't lock it in the dry on twisty country lanes or in Tesco car park.

They did Frank, AFAIAA the GS model had them fitted. Now whether that is peculiar to models without ABS and viscous coupling I'm not sure.

My 80 is a 1994 with ABS and a VC. It also has the CDL switch..... It is a UK VX if that makes any difference.

Mine is as per Lorin's bar mine being manual.

All OK now Lorin?

regards

Dave

My 80 is a 1994 with ABS and a VC. It also has the CDL switch..... It is a UK VX if that makes any difference.

Hi Lorin, the 95 one I had 12V VX auto didn't have the switch and never did. The 95 12V auto I now have does have it but its likely to have been added. 12V manuals of that era didn't have ABS/VC so they got the switch.
I don't know if ABS was an option on manuals at that time but autos got leather/ABS/VC and manuals didn't.
CDL switches on autos will have been added I recon.

A.

Has anyone found a decent supplier for the later 24v type switch ? I want to be able to have low range and no centre diff lock

When you day 'decent' do you mean cheap(er) than Toyota? I got mine from Slea Offroad in the US and came to around £50 after postage and rip of taxes etc. but that was around 10 years ago now. I can't imagine this part being available in anything other than OEM but maybe someone knows otherwise?

When you day 'decent' do you mean cheap(er) than Toyota? I got mine from Slea Offroad in the US and came to around £50 after postage and rip of taxes etc. but that was around 10 years ago now. I can't imagine this part being available in anything other than OEM but maybe someone knows otherwise?

Well , with the Dollar being more or less in parity with the £ the the US would seem to be expensive , I will see how much my local dealer wants for one, a P/no search shows it's the same as a Rav 4 one I think so maybe a breakers could be an option, my 80 has been ultra reliable and I've been busy with work but at 160K miles I need to give her a bit of love , new CV's and hub rebuild are on the cards . I was on the TLO# uk site a few years ago but given up looking as no one is ever on there , you are one of the members i remember from then

Got mine last week from Amayama. Now fitted and working.

Beware of UK ebay sellers. I bought a switch which turned out to be a hazard warning switch turned upside down with the glass pushed out and a sticker with DIFF LOCK stuck over the front. Yes, I did get my money back.

Back