Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

centre difflock switch 24v

Just to be controversial. Who me :whistle: I stuck my CDL in today on tarmac. Guess what? No dramas, no one died, nothing broke. I did some cornering too. You could sense that it was in, for sure, but barely noticeable. Even managed a T junction. When I pressed unlock, it did. There was no wind up at this point. I wouldn't normally use it like this, I was pushing it to see what it was like. Continued use like this would be sure to result in damage at some point.

CDL categorically works, I go to enough pay and play to know that it is and I have had all the wheels off the ground on a recent test of all the lockers.

Obviously everyone is free to think and do as they please, but the CDL is not just for intense off road driving. The owner's handbook agrees.

My transmission has very little slop in it; it's tight as a mosquito's tweeter. New front diff, bearings, CVs etc etc which might make a difference. See, they're well made these Toyotas not some Midlands fag packet design :thumbup:

Of course I still maintain that with the CD locked, the axle diffs take care of a huge amount of left and right difference. The rear axle especially, as it doesn't have steering. For every extra the outside wheel turns, the inside turns correspondingly less. If it didn't then there'd no point having a diff.

OK look, there was nothing on the telly and I needed the typing practive. Pactrice. Pacritce. Damn.

Crhis

I wonder if the auto helps absorb some of the loading there? You know my cdl is in and you can feel the transmission getting tighter even with a light turn in either direction.

Good point Adrian. Maybe.

Clearly nothing on your telly either then huh?

C

Chris,
The symptoms you get on road with a locked CDL seem much less severe than those I experience. I tried it once to the bottom of the road and back and there was obvious tyre scrub/squeal when I tried to turn, plus it would not readily onlock on command and I had to faf about reversing backwards and forwards etc. In theory a transmission with less slop should be worse as any slop could absorb some windup. There will always be a difference in speed between the F & R axles when cornering as the rear wheels do not travel in the same arc as the fronts, irrespective of L or R turn. The axle diffs cannot compensate for this. Only difference between your car and mine is auto vs manual trans. can't see why that would change things but if everything is working OK who cares??

Phil

As I said in an earlier rant, Phil, I had a mate with a Disco who drove into a ditch with his locked. I have had 5 Landcruisers now, all with CDL and none of them have behaved like that ever.

Have to say it was quite dramatic. He set off at a T junction and couldn't steer at all. Whump. Straight in. I just figure that Mr T made an exceptionally fine 4x4 systems that can handle a good deal more of this than some other brands. Why there is difference between same vehicles I can't say.

Like you say though Phil. It's all working.

Incidentally, I figured you have Sky. Guess not, eh?

C

Manual and auto me thinks is the key to this little conundrum, mines manual too. I made a 90 degree right off road last weekend on rough surface and it was tight and complaining from the transmission. But it still made the corner unlike your pals landys launch control

Plenty of rubbish on tv..

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
could also be the wear state of your tyres i.e. quite new? not had much chance to wear at different rates front to back but the others may have more pronounced differences it would make quite a big difference IMO.

I've had 6 Land Rovers 3 Range Rovers and they were instantly terrible with locked cd. So is my 80, in high or low just as bad. In fact I tried it down the lane again and even in a straight line it was straining. Impossible to do a 3 point turn at the bottom without serious welly and risk of damage.

My 100 auto is just as bad and in fact was unmanoeuverable on the drive and was stuck in the garage. Jon politely pointed out that I had pressed the cdl switch by mistake; at which time I had already removed the cdl motor in desperation. Did not know I had a cdl switch at that point.

Frank

The worst vehicle I've had for this problem was my first 4x4, a Suzuki SJ413. The SJ's were part time 4wd with no diff, just like old series LR's. Drove into into town in deep snow and tried to park up on a side road that had been cleared, still in 4wd. within just a few yards the trans was wound up so tight the car would barely move. Tried to move the lever back to 2wd but it was locked solid. Finished up getting the jack out and lifting one corner. The wheel spun round as the whole trans unwound like a coiled spring. I never did that again.

I had a Shogun part time 4wd with 3500 miles on the clock. Worst roadholding vehicle I've ever had. It was terrible in 4wd option. Did not own it long enough to find out much about it. My wife phoned up in hysterics saying it had been stolen off the hospital car park. My reply " Calm down dear, it's the best news I've ever had".

Frank

Chris,mines an auto and i recently covered 500kms with mine locked in with no problems, that was on loose and tarmac surfaces, even when turning I have to agree the diffs will do there job, also the front axle and rear axles will still be turning at acceptable speeds for the diffs to cope with, transfer box engaged will give the vehicle more stability on most surfaces, practice over on ipad2, hows your one doing Chris?

Dave, going really well mate. Engine's sweet. Transmission lovely, inside - filthy, outside.... Err, did I mention the engine?

Chris

Well this has turned into a really long thread .
Just to add my observations.
My 80 is a 24v manual i have fitted a switch and tried cdl on a high grip surface.
First thing i notice is the steering feeling heavier and it does NOT want to turn easily .
It almost feels like the front difflock is enguaged ...And CDL doesn't want to unlock easily afterwards . have to faff around going forwards and backwards to make it unlock ..

I have also tried this on another 24v manual (one i sold last night ) and it gave EXACTLY the same result .

My observations from reading all the posts is if you have a MANUAL don't do it and if you have an AUTO no probs

My auto is impossible on drive on dry with cdl. Perhaps some LC's have an high torque Limited Slip Differential instead of a fully locked one when you engage cdl.

Frank

Looking back through the posts it appears to be the later 24v LC,s that have problems with a locked CDL on tarmac so I'm thinking maybe there is some difference between the CD's on these later models compared to the early ones? The 24valvers also have ABS and are manual but the CD is locked AFTER the main gearbox wether it's auto or manual so can't see how/why this should make a difference.

"My auto is impossible on drive on dry with cdl. Perhaps some LC's have an high torque Limited Slip Differential instead of a fully locked one when you engage cdl".

Frank

Could this be the case??

All the people who can lock there CDL on tarmac must have a little magician under the bonnet

Why?

Press the switch, it locks. Paul Daniels nowhere to be seen. Unfortunately. Last time I actually had to swerve in order to hit him

Chris

Chris, he did say your going to like this. Checked my transfer box and found Merlin in charge :lol: :lol:

There are two camps here with no common ground. Is it the owners or the vehicles. I think someone from one camp out to drive an LC from the other camp to find out what is going on.
Or do one camp grease their tyres all the time.

Frank

Back