Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

centre difflock switch 24v

L

LandCruiser1978

Looking at fitting a CDL switch onto my 1996 24v
Will it just plug into the car or do i need part of the loom aswell?

If its the same as the 12-valver, the loom is already there... Just remove some sort of plug/connector & plonk the switch on in its place.

This mod is a revalation - I did it to Muxley on the trail & I couldn't beleive the transformation... No more stupid low box gear changes :clap:

You need to disconnect the plug on the transfer box to disable the automatic lock when selecting low range Gav.

On the 24 Valves (not so sure about 12 valves) if you haven't got a factory fitted centre difflock switch, it's because the truck is ABS equipped. For whatever reason Mr Toyoda decided you don't need locking centre diff in highrange if you have ABS :? . On selection of lowrange, the centre diff would still lock automatically. :thumbdown:

So, if you have an ABS equipped 24V truck, you need to install the centre difflock switch, plus disconnect the plug on the transfer box, this will give you manual control of the centre difflock in both high & low ranges. :thumbup:

any pics of the plug that i sholud disconnect on the transfer box
alot of plugs under the car

Brett said:
You need to disconnect the plug on the transfer box to disable the automatic lock when selecting low range Gav.

On the 24 Valves (not so sure about 12 valves) if you haven't got a factory fitted centre difflock switch, it's because the truck is ABS equipped. For whatever reason Mr Toyoda decided you don't need locking centre diff in highrange if you have ABS :? . On selection of lowrange, the centre diff would still lock automatically. :thumbdown:

So, if you have an ABS equipped 24V truck, you need to install the centre difflock switch, plus disconnect the plug on the transfer box, this will give you manual control of the centre difflock in both high & low ranges. :thumbup:
Yup, its the same on the 12-valvers - I knew Bob knew about the plug on the transfer box Brett :p

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
If you recall Gav, we disconnected yours whilst we were waiting around for that 'old bloke' who broke his leg on Strata :lol:

Chris

So if i fit a switch and don't disconect the plug i will have control over CDL in high
And then when i select low CDL will lock itself

When would i ever need the use low without CDL :?: :?:

It's a road car and i have no intention of using it off road

only time i'd need no CDL in low is if i had a really heavy load on tarmac.(But it'd have to be real heavy )
But as i don't tow any more than my car trailer and i've never needed low yet i can't see a problem with leaving the car to CDL in low itself..

Or is it really that much better to unplug and have full CDL control yourself

P.s Paul you should see her now !!
It's a differnt truck to the one you saw back in august ..

Disconnecting the plug isn't about the CDL. It's about the gear change intervals. When you drop into low box, the points at which the gears change up is awful. You have to rev the nuts off it to get into second and then when it does change, it bangs in and you lose grip. Why it it set like that is anyone's guess, but if you like rock crawling where you don't want it to change until it's screaming then cool. Unplug the connector and you get the same smooth sensible progression of changes that you have in high. If you plug in the dash switch, I don't think that you do get CDL when you go into low. I can't remember really. I did the sensible thing and disconnected the plug.

Chris

Chris said:
If you recall Gav, we disconnected yours whilst we were waiting around for that 'old bloke' who broke his leg on Strata :lol:

Chris
I recall it totally dude, hence the on the trail reference ;-)

With regard to getting total control of the CDL Bob, yes, to get rid of the autobox shift pattern is superb, even if not offroading. If i can, I grab a pic of the respective connector. I was fortunate to have a Chris & a Great White available for reference at the time, on the hill, in the mud, waiting, waiting & waiting for the guys to get back... We should have built that fire back up dude... :cool:

mines a 1997 24 v manual so it won't make a diff to my gear changes ...

Thinking i should have said it was a manual earlier :oops: :oops:

Words fail me. :doh:

Chris

Have you just updated your sig line too Bob...

:lol: No worries.

Why do you want a switch then?

Oh yes, it says '96. And with muddies. For off road use? :think:

And I thought we were confused.

Thanks for the entertainment GB. It was getting a bit boring this week.

Chris

yeah just changed my sig :techie-hiding: . but in my defence first post does say fit onto my 1996 24v .
And i thought you lot knew your stuff bout cruisers :roll:
or is there alot of 24v auto's driving around :confusion-confused:

Muds were on it when i bought it and only want a switch for when the snow falls etc...

Oh so it's OUR fault. Well of course. How silly we all are. :lol: :lol:

Still worth having the CDL button though. Good mod. Especially for snow.

Chris

it's not my fault you lot don't read all the details within a post :roll:
Not only is it a good mod for snow but it also adds an extra switch to your dash :D

geordie_boy1978 said:
So if i fit a switch and don't disconect the plug i will have control over CDL in high
And then when i select low CDL will lock itself
Correct :thumbup:

geordie_boy1978 said:
When would i ever need the use low without CDL :?: :?:

It's a road car and i have no intention of using it off road

only time i'd need no CDL in low is if i had a really heavy load on tarmac.(But it'd have to be real heavy )
But as i don't tow any more than my car trailer and i've never needed low yet i can't see a problem with leaving the car to CDL in low itself..
This is exactly why you want to have manual control over the CDL in low, manoeuvring a trailer on tarmac in low box with the CDL locked is awful, much better with the CDL open, low box gives you much better control of the trailer as you know. :thumbup:

geordie_boy1978 said:
Or is it really that much better to unplug and have full CDL control yourself
Definitely, just do it! It'll work the same as a Landrover transfer box then, which to my mind being able to lock the CDL when you want to, in both low or high range, is the best option.

Driving at high speed with the cdl on can be a bit dodgy on a slippery surface as the car will not steer very well. Also if you forget to turn it off on dry surface it can ruin the transmission.

Frank

I disagree Frank. Locking the CD gives the exact opposite of that. I have tried it. Not just theory - but practice. Both in snow and on standing water. I even did runs both ways locked and unlocked. The difference was remarkable. It's what the CDL is for. Without it locked it was hairy. But locked it was very stable. As for ruining the transmission, I'm not sure how or why. Not saying you're wrong - but I'd have to understand why it would do that. You still have an open front and rear diff so any wind up would be sorted out across each axle. Sure I wouldn't do pirouettes in a car park with it locked but going up a snowy mountain pass would be a greater benefit I am sure than not locking it. As for speed, the 90 series manual states that you can engage CDL at speeds of up to 60mph IIRC. I use mine all the time and I've never experienced any difficulties.

Just my experience.

Chris

Back