Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Chain or belt?

I would say this one had a handfull on each side semared on the outside- or thats what it looked like obviously thats not waht had been done.

I will try and find one like you describe-heres hoping :D

Just to be clear here, the cannon balls are not a load bearing part. Just as with a RR or LR the load is taken through the top and bottom swivel bearings. The cannon balls are really an indicator of whether the inner axle oil seals have gone and axle oil is leaking out into the hubs. Being dry doesn't tell you much. Being rusty and pitted like some old ship wreck artefact isn't' good, but just dry isn't that much of an indication of anything. The CV grease is a 'stay put' grease and it's pretty darn difficult for it to find its way out onto the ball ends. These are not bearing surfaces that need lubrication. The wiper seals are there as much to keep crud out as they are to keep grease in. So if they are dry and smooth, I'd take that as a positive rather than a minus point. It is important that the CV contains grease, but I have been asking for some while just what exactly is the benefit of packing a tub of CV grease into the hubs actually do? If it basically doesn't migrate at all, why bother? It cant' lubricate the upper swivel bearing under any circumstances. Anti gravity grease?

Dry swivels do not indicate the diff oil level. Wet swivels do. But they aren't what you want to see.

It's all good fun isn't it.

Chris

I agree completly and they were very greasy and a bit wet on this one I have seen in wales. I was hoping they would better really , it was a shame.

still never mind if no others turn up and hes still got it I just agreed my mate would go and pick it up for me. but I will have a better look about first for others first.

thanks for all the help and info :)

When driving along at motorway speeds the CV only does something like 500 rpm.

With that small a diameter and that sticky a grease, that really isn't going to fling in off the CV and into the inside off the quoted "cannonballs".

Every service I just add something like 20 pumps from the grease gun, and as long as the lower section of the cannonball is greasy I'm happy.

Merc axles have CV's with rubber "dust covers/grease holders" in them, chrome plated cannonballs and greasezirks. Even less maintenance required!

Wet cannonballs often indicate blown axle seal or blocked breather.
Again not a big problem.

Only thing that had me going for a while was a groove run into the axle shaft from the old worn seal. This was cured with the correct speedisleeve.

If it runs, than it is servicable :?

Back