Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Changing Spheres

pugwash

Country Flag
uk
Tuesday is replace the AHC spheres day.

They came in from Impex in Japan- OEM, total cost about £500 including taxes for all 4. Took about a week door to door. Toyota wanted £830 and even the aftermarket UK suppliers were a bit more.

Have 4x Globes (2 front and rear), a 36mm thin spanner, genuine AHC fluid, TIS running on a laptop, bleeding hose (and a vacuum bleeder too...), a 30mm socket and a copy of YOTA MDs cheat sheet.

Read lots of posts about bleeding and changing the globes- for people who have done this:

1. Should i bleed each corner AND change the globe at the same time?
2. When i take the old globe off, won't the whole system just drain away?
3. Between each Globe/bleed do i need to lift the vehicle?
4. Does the rear axle only have one height sensor?
5. I'm a bit of lard arse, so i'm thinking of checking pressures with me in the car- is there any reason i shouldn't do this?

Thank you everyone :D

1. You have to bleed after changing globes. You can first change all globes, then bleed all corners.
2. No, not right away. You put it in Low, then drain remaining pressure on one rear and one front bleeder (left and right are interconnected, so one side is enough)
3. After changing all globes, you have to let the ahc lift to N before bleeding. You need several rounds of bleeding and pumping, and refilling. You might even find some more air if bleeding again after a day of driving.
4. Yes
5. The pressures are spec'd with an empty car, so you should be OK, lard or not. Otoh, you can adjust for any permanent weight that you never take out. Your weight doesn't make that huge difference, as there is a range of pressures which are OK.

If doing this on the floor, you might find it beneficial to drive all four wheels on top of some blocks, e.g 4x10", to get better access.
The 36 mm, if it is really thin, like some fan spanners, you may find it failing on the globes. If that's the case, you have to dig out hammer and chisel.

Back