Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Chattery noise on D4 engine

Scottish120

Country Flag
scotland
I have a 2004 LCD4 manual with about 135K on the clock, drives well and goes well, doesn't chuck out black white or grey smoke. I have not had the vehicle long and it is apparent that mechanically the servicing was neglected by it's previous owner but I am rectifyiing that as I go. There has always been a chatter or rattle on the engine which is prominent when cold but as soon as the temperature guage is up at halfway it reduces dramatically. There is no history of the injectors being replaced and that was a common cause of the noise I was experiencing, new injectors fitted and the noise is the same. A local garage pressurised the exhaust in case the noise was a cracked manifold but that showed up as the system being sound. Both pairs of high pressure suction control valves have been replaced in case they were the culprit but no change then either. The noise appears to come from the top left of the engine sitting in the vehicle, someone has suggested cam followers? I have changed the oil twice in the 4 months I have had the 120 with good quality oil to see if that helps and I think it may have done. Anyone experienced anything like this before? I wondered if the compensation codes for the injectors had been incorrectly added but was told my engine was before these codes were needed.

Any advice gratefully accepted.

At that mileage and age I would suggest you get your injectors checked and replaced.

Lots of detail in this thread

"There is no history of the injectors being replaced and that was a common cause of the noise I was experiencing, new injectors fitted and the noise is the same"

Doesn't appear to be the injectors as they have been replaced in the time I have had the vehicle........

Apologies missed that. Were they replaced with new, or refurbs? Do you have access to Techstream to check the injector values when cold?

Apart from that not sure what it could be, but one of the smarter guys will be along soon...

No I don't have access to Techstream but the injectors were replaced with new ones, really disappointed they didn't cure the noise.

Wasn’t it the injector seat washers that was the problem ? I had the same issue on m early 120

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Seals were ok on the old injectors and replaced with new ones when the injectors were replaced so they aren't the culprit.....I wish they were

Had the same issue for the last couple of years , changed the injectors and Turbo . 20000 miles later still got the same issue . It would interesting to hear the cure.

Has it got worse in that time? I would like to track it down so investigations continue

It's worse in the winter, being really loud that you will see people staring at you as you drive past, once warm though everything quietens down.
My next ask is to solve this one , I have the techstream software fleabay special , but it does not have the pilot injector learning part of the software.

Sounds like the same as I am experiencing. Appears to come from the top left of the engine when you are sitting in the vehicle. The guys at Overland Cruisers have been really helpful to me and I'm sure would be able to diagnose the noise if they saw the cruiser. I'm in Scotland so a bit of a trek for more, although I might end up visiting them anyway. They might be closer for you to speak to?

Back