Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Cheap ebay snorkel warning

I went with a genuine Safari for peace of mind. It's a known quantity to me from past experience of abusing the one on my old 80 and for the price difference on a one off purchase of such a critical part it's not worth it to me to save the money. The knock offs may prove to be exactly the same materials or at least fit for purpose but with no reliable way to evaluate that myself and having seen pictures of cracked ones on the net from time to time I'd rather trust a genuine one.

I agree with Jon. The potential damage if the snorkel fails (leaks or cracks as a result for physical or UV damage) can catastrophic. I had a Safari Snorkel on the 90 and am going for the same on the 100. An extra couple of hundred pounds (the cost of two tanks full of diesel) spent on prevention is no a high price when compared to the cost of repairing or replacing a water flooded engine.

I hope my explanation doesn't sound like I think buying a cheap one is daft, it would only be daft for me to buy one because I'm the way I am :whistle:

Not at all Jon I see the logic in both views.

What I need is to find a second hand Safari Snorkel at a good price and then I have the best of both worlds.

I only bought mine as I was pretty strapped for cash and really wanted to fit a snorkel for some deep water wading exercises with my 4x4 response group. If I'd have had the funds I would have bought a genuine Safari and not bothered risking the cheaper option. As it happens I have been very happy with my purchase and if it should fail in the near future I may even go down the route of buying the Safari one, but for now I'm happy with what I have.

Carl,

I've got one ready to fit that looks identical to yours, I got it from ebay seller (4wd-expeditions), post#1 has given me horrors about cutting a hole 2" too low, was hoping yours is the same as mine to offer some reassurance before getting busy with the starret!

Thanks

hi Bret ... sorry for the late reply ... :oops:

my template was a "safari" template and was pretty much spot on. (give or take a couple of mil)

hope that helps

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
hi Bret ... sorry for the late reply ... :oops:

my template was a "safari" template and was pretty much spot on. (give or take a couple of mil)

hope that helps

Hi Carl, no problem, thanks for the reply.

My template looks pretty good, as in they've done a proper job of it, not a photocopy etc. I've heard some are really poor.

I'll just have to go carefully :think:

Safari actually dropped the prices of a lot of their snorkels this year, including the price of 80 series ones. :icon-wink:

We sell 30-40 a month at work and fit probably 10. I was at Safari HQ today picking another 15 up. :icon-cool:

The problem this side Ben is we will never see that drop in price, so throw one in your bag for me and I will see you at Heathrow.:whistle:

I will have a measure up and see if it will fit in my suitcase, might fit diagonally corner to corner. :icon-wink:

Suitcase will be empty when I come over anyway, clothes are expensive and crap over here so planning on stocking up when I'm back in the UK. :icon-biggrin:

Ooh great how about a diff lock as they are not that big......

If ben cant bring 1 over how about chris at fnb in the container he is sorting out?

:lol:

Far too heavy! Could post you one with sea freight though, already sent one back along with an ARB compressor. :think:

Drop me a PM if you like, save hijacking this thread anymore. :text-offtopic:

Back