Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Club Workshop Perhaps?

Trevor,

I have setup and run a CIC ( community interest company ) in the past. Happy to have a chat about that. The way it operates, it might be a good fit. Not for profit organisations in the EU and the UK are a much harder entity to run and heavily regulated. Plus I think a CIC is a perfect fit for what is being proposed here.

Yes, I am willing to help and get involved as much as time permits - as you know, based on my work this is a bit seasonal at the moment.

I can imagine being up there a day a month or a day every other month. Specially if getting in on weekends is an option.

I also still have the ton of work that needs doing, was actually still waiting for you to find me the 2/3 days for the bits we were talking about. If you are still able to fit it in, between getting your trucks done...

One thing to consider of course is that there's probably nothing to stop you popping the roof tent up inside the workshop and kipping overnight if you needed to work all weekend. Might need a Portaloo hiring and sticking in one corner which frankly might have been a good idea from the start.

I'm at the point where really all of my work is done and whilst a lovely idea, I'm just not sure that I need the facility. I'm desperately trying to find a way to get involved but I'm struggling. OK I might want to swap the Amazon box back into the grey one but most of the stuff I do now is simple maintenance tinkering on the drive or up at the unit. All the heavy work has been done. I know, ask my knees.

The logistics of running something like this seems to fall into 5 categories (I think)

Financial - Ensuring fees are paid and rent is paid out. Operational fund to cover off insurances/maintenance and SafetyKleen. Keeping on top of consumables (perhaps oils are chargeable per litre at cost price)

Club Entity - If CIC or something else. That needs to be setup and managed.

Health and Safety - Induction, Extra signage and instructional documentation maybe.

Stock - Weekly check on how low "things" are getting and re order.

Bookings and Overruns - Calendar, group communication and common sense.

I live 3 miles away so certainly the last 3 I think I can comfortably take care of and could do the financial if no one else wanted to. I think there should be perhaps 3 people to be a "committee" to aid running, decision making and communication to the group.

One bit I forget to mention is the floor space is 3200 sq feet, approx half taken up with ramps and bench. The remaining floor space can fit 4 vehicles comfortably for those jobs that don't always require a ramp, timing belt changes, brakes, electrical etc. so on a busy weekend/day it's feasible to have 6 vehicles in.

So down to the current numbers, bearing in mind these numbers may change over time.

Rent including electricity is £1100 per month
SafetyKleen (2 parts washers, oil/fluids,brakes,filters and absorbent waste) £1700 per year
Trade insurance £2500 per year (different insurance needed but guessing may be similar price)
No cost for water.

I'll add in a contingency/consumables/maintenance figure of £2600

Which brings the yearly cost to £20K.

So there needs to be a good level of interest to make it work, what I will remind people of is that 3200 sq feet at commercial rents in this area would be in excess of £4k a month so although the yearly cost is not a small number, it is actually very cheap rent for the space.

Yeah, well don't worry about the Elf n safety bit 'cos I can sort that regardless. Remember that as a sort of 'cooperative' leisure based activity, there's very little of this involved in any case, neither is there a great deal of civil liability involved regardless of what anyone says. As regards insurance, you have to ask what it is you'd be insuring against if it's no longer under the control of an employer as such.

My suggestion that you approach the Mayor is based on the assumption you will continue with the business with the benefit of gov funding .

A workshop would provide several departments of gov with a useful tool and £400 a week is chicken feed to any one department .

The Mayor can talk to all those departments and champion the cause of say kids in care , young offenders , those who simply don't fit in a classroom and even the department of education as i doubt many apprentice placements nowadays will show a kid how to repair a part rather than just replace it .

They don't give a damn about these kids but they have to pretend they do so what could be simpler than writing a cheque giving power to the probation officer when he is trying to convince a teen that qualifications or lack of them is not the be all and end all of whether or not he has a future .

My business is share based and i am yet to employ anyone who didn't leave me with a bill for something "that was not their fault" :icon-rolleyes:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
If you get enough people on board it's not a bad amount per month each. The unit i was renting was big enough for 4 vehicles but had to move stuff out to work on anything. Didn't have a ramp etc and the 80 was tight to get through the door. That cost me £240 a month plus electric and I shared it with a mate, he had to drop out for personal reasons at short notice which left me the full bill so I'd recommend a contract of some sort.

Having somewhere to work under cover etc is priceless, especially if you know you've got a couple of days work to get through, weather isn't an issue and for instance removing glass to sort bodywork isn't so stressful. Cleaning/drying a chassis to paint etc is easier as again weather isn't an issue.
I used to do a few jobs which covered my costs tbh but that took my enjoyment away of having my man cave.

Obviously for me I wouldn't be looking at being on board as I've got a full workshop at my disposal.

For anyone that is sat on the fence but would benefit from use of a workshop seriously consider this proposal while the chance is there, it's not going to come back up in 6 months time.

Also big pat on the back to Trevor for taking the time to look into this to benefit others. I'm gutted for you guys with the business and the fact you're looking into this for others speaks volumes about you mate :clap:

If you get enough people on board it's not a bad amount per month each. The unit i was renting was big enough for 4 vehicles but had to move stuff out to work on anything. Didn't have a ramp etc and the 80 was tight to get through the door. That cost me £240 a month plus electric and I shared it with a mate, he had to drop out for personal reasons at short notice which left me the full bill so I'd recommend a contract of some sort.

Having somewhere to work under cover etc is priceless, especially if you know you've got a couple of days work to get through, weather isn't an issue and for instance removing glass to sort bodywork isn't so stressful. Cleaning/drying a chassis to paint etc is easier as again weather isn't an issue.
I used to do a few jobs which covered my costs tbh but that took my enjoyment away of having my man cave.

Obviously for me I wouldn't be looking at being on board as I've got a full workshop at my disposal.

For anyone that is sat on the fence but would benefit from use of a workshop seriously consider this proposal while the chance is there, it's not going to come back up in 6 months time.

Also big pat on the back to Trevor for taking the time to look into this to benefit others. I'm gutted for you guys with the business and the fact you're looking into this for others speaks volumes about you mate :clap:
:text-+1: On that, I am lucky enough to have a garage, although about 1/16 the size of Trevor's place, at a push I could probably get two Cruisers in there, but then there would be no room to do any work. So I wouldn't be needing a share in Trevor's. I have always thought of Trev as a good guy what he is doing here has reinforced that opinion in spades.
I wish you and Ed well in whatever comes along, we have two good guys here they deserve all the support we can give.

Last edited:
I totally agree Chas. Real shame that it's cast in stone that Freedom will cease trading. All I can say is good luck in whatever you guys do. I won't be using the workshop as it's too far for me and tools would be forgotten I know.
It's great that you're offering it, just a shame I'm not closer to be able to utilise it.

So that works out to around £140 per month for 12 people sharing, if my maths is right?
So you either get the the right to the space for one month solid, or everyone shares over the year, in a reasonable way...

I'm busy buying a house, so not sure if the Mrs will let me commit to something like that, but where I live (Wimbledon) it costs £200 p/m just for a crappy small damp garage and no elec / tools etc etc - so something like this could be a bargain if there are enough people who can chip in 140 per month on a direct debit...

Trevor - only thing I can see happaning here, if you get 10 / 12 ppl to sign up, is that it's gonna be something to arrange / organise every year, which may become a burden for you / someone else, so would think about whether that's worth it. Also, the counter argument - if you're in the job market and £140 is affordable, then it's a place you'll always have to work on your LC's at!

Sharing over the year in a reasonable way is the proposal, 10 to 12 would be a minimum number but scope for more if the demand is there. In terms of renewal, no big headaches there, the building is on a 3 month notice based contract. At 9 months I see who wants to carry on into the following year, if enough it continues. If not then notice is given at 12 months and I have to empty the building.

To put it into perspective paid about £130 a month for 6 months which got me a shipping container to store my trailer and the contents of my coal house shed . It's the 5 hour round trip that doesn't work for me .

the place isnt close to me either, its a 3 hrs in ideal condition, round trip and involves the M25.

however, i would still make the effort to get out there a few weekends a year, can imagine averaging one weekend a month.

I've tried, in early summer last year, to find a place where I could take the trucks and do some basic stuff in this part of the world ( South East London ), and there is nothing that I can get to. Couple of the 4x4 / Landy shops in Dartford / Orpington / meopham were ok for me to come in during work hours, and pay £20/hr sort of rate for the ramp and space, but my own tools and must clear out by 3pm. Workdays. ie. I've never been.

Cant be one of 4, that would be far too expensive; but am very happy being one of 12 or even better, 20 people sharing the space.

There are a couple of other motor clubs in the UK that have similar setup's right ? Can we reach out and maybe see what / how they operate ?

Perhaps we could have a small gathering there and plan a bunch of work on several trucks over a weekend.

Just a random thought. I don't mean a big camp out, I mean three trucks all needing front axle rebuild for example. Work on them together as a team perhaps. You could schedule the work so everyone gets done. I'd quite happily come to something like that even if mine didn't need work. Quite happy coaching people through a particular procedure. You could do servicing or equipment fitting - like a snorkel for example or suspension lift.

Perhaps we could have a small gathering there and plan a bunch of work on several trucks over a weekend.

Just a random thought. I don't mean a big camp out, I mean three trucks all needing front axle rebuild for example. Work on them together as a team perhaps. You could schedule the work so everyone gets done. I'd quite happily come to something like that even if mine didn't need work. Quite happy coaching people through a particular procedure. You could do servicing or equipment fitting - like a snorkel for example or suspension lift.
Great idea Chris, I'd come along just for the social side.

Great idea Chris, I'd come along just for the social side.

Yes, that makes good sense. I would be interested as I'm certain to learn something, even if my truck wasn't involved.

Well it's an idea not a plan. We can't have a huge convoy turn up and upset Mrs Landlord. She might just get a bit pissy if the yard is backed up with Cruisers. It's not my call here but I'd suggest that this was more about people wanting to hire Trev's facility to do a flash-mob workshop than opening it as a sort of bush mechanics open day if yah get me.

I hope this can be figured out. It would be great for the forum to solidify in this fashion.

Sorry to be a realist, I just hope nobody gets burnt from this venture.

I am happy to donate something even if I don't participate physically to help this.

Best Mussy

I was chatting to the Landlord today about the idea, big thumbs up from them. So if the Club Workshop could get established then group sessions, etc are easily possible. Now it's whether we have enough interest to finance it, I've 3 weeks left before having to commit to selling equipment off.

Back