Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Club Workshop Perhaps?

Trevor

Country Flag
england
So as most of you are aware, Freedom 4X4 is no more. I got to thinking that here I am sat on some good equipment and a good relationship with my Landlord who is fully aware of the current status quo and would like me to stay in one form or another.

In the next 4 weeks I'm faced with the exit plan which means I need to sell everything off and vacate the building and lose a brilliant man cave, I've no issue with that as a plan but think it's rather a waste of a potential resource.

This is shooting from the hip so to speak and wondered if there was any interest in turning this into a club workshop, the idea being that if enough people showed an interest and were committed to the concept then this could be a benefit to those that face the challenge of repair work on the driveway in all weathers.

In rather rough terms, which would need a little refinement the idea would be that 10+ people who wanted to commit to a 12 month agreement, i.e. a yearly fee would have access to a workshop with 2 ramps, air tools, 50 ton press, waste disposal for oils etc, insurances, transmission jacks, grinders, nuts, bolts and consumables etc etc and for the cost of diesel the option of having a vehicle trailered to the workshop if needed. To carry out repairs and modifications to their vehicles out of the wind and rain.

Although it's a bit of a trek for those in the midlands and the south, it would be a cheaper option than finding a place of your own and kitting it out.

I guess this is the point to ask if there is any interest in the idea or any comments?

It's a grand idea Trevor. One I had considered but more along the lines of the whole UK based club. However, for me, even if you were 5 mikes down the road, there's still the consideration of 'what if I do t get it going to bring it back today?' For me, working on my daily driver is tricky so trundling it half way across the country would be very tricky. There's times you don't have the parts or something breaks or…well, you get my drift. It's a tough one.

Just my honest thoughts though, other folks may well see it differently. Good luck BTW.

The way i read it was the offer of a rent share on facilities for those who would like to sorn their truck for a couple of months and give it some tlc .

Trevor have a look at the rent a ramp concept.

That way you charge out the use of the ramp and tools to people that want to use it.

It would bring in a wider group of more local people thenow this club. I think that would stand more chance of staying a float.
http://ramp-it-up.co.uk

This is a great Idea in theory but a nightmare in practice. The administration of appropriated time slots being overrun and equipment tied up with unfinished jobs for whatever reason would make it unworkable.
That said, I would subscribe to such a scheme ( covering 12/th of the annual rent) so that in the unlikely event I would need to travel 100 miles to use the facility I could, so that others could use it and it could repair their Cruisers in a safer environment than their driveway.

I think thats a great idea, and a way for the less mechanically minded to learn how to keep these trucks going with the assistance of the experts. Logistics aside, I would subscribe just to come up and observe work being done and maybe even lend a hand.. That hands on experience would be invaluable to new owners and a great way to build a social network outside of the forum...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I might be interested in this depending mainly on how far away it is and, to a lesser extent, cost. Where is the workshop situated?

It's near Brackley. Just off Jnt 10 M40

Down the M1, off onto the A43 at Northampton for us TP. It's incredibly easy to get to.

This is such a good incentive/initiative. If it was to be run as a non-profit organisation, and sponsored by the Club, I'd even consider contributing, even if I may never use it.

Some great points and ideas coming through already.

From my perspective there are some things to factor in. I have no choice now but get back into the labour market and I'm not proposing to attempt to make a living from the Club Workshop idea.

That means I will have some spare time at the odd weekend and happy to rock up and help out when those opportunities are available, so in terms of on hand expertise that really isn't a reliable option on my part but could be planned in, however it may be that one person wants to do a job and another member could say "I'll pop down and give you a hand"

I quite like the idea of a not for profit approach but have no experience of this, maybe someone with knowledge could chip in on how that could/should work? More than happy for someone to run the finances too.

I do have various tools that could be used such as pullers, injector bore cleaning kit, engine hoist, grinders, transmission jacks, trolley jacks and so on but need to think a bit in terms of personal sockets and spanners and whether people bring their own or some other solution.

The Landlord would be uncomfortable opening the idea up to the general public, that raises security issues, general behaviour, noise and so on. A Club based approach should deal with these issues comfortably.

Booking workshop time can be managed done via an online calendar and there is room to put at least one more ramp in if the demand is there, although I don't have at the moment wheel dollies, that could be an option to move a disabled vehicle off a ramp to free it up.

There would need to be an induction process for each incoming member to show how to use the equipment properly and I do need to have a chat with my insurance broker to get the right sort of cover in place.

I don't propose that medium or long term storage of vehicles be considered, this creates a headache of members having to move other members vehicles for access. But a job that could run into a couple of weeks could be considered if planned correctly.

Simon Holton regularly delivers and picks up return parts which is a handy bonus and we already have a system in place to drop off if no one is about, so you can certainly order parts up ahead of time and have them delivered if needed. Milners and Roughtrax also deliver but don't use the same system as its not always the same driver.

Some consideration needs to given regarding an operational fund, things like the SafetyKleen contract for waste disposal, keeping consumables stocked such as nuts/bolts, oils, greases and repairs/servicing of lifts and compressor. Not forgetting accidental breakages.

I think the idea is workable if there are enough interested people but this would all need to be put into place and funded within the next 4 weeks, that is the biggest challenge.

There is CCTV already in place and an alarm. Access to keys is just a process to be thought out. Keep the ideas coming.

Last edited:
I'd certainly be interested and would be happy to help lend a pair of hands* for other members' projects, when I can.

* It will literally be a pair of hands, as I have little or no mechanical expertise to offer! ;)

I'm not suggesting getting my wallet out just yet but may I ask. If enough people were interested/ volunteered/ feeling generous. ( and I have no idea what the running costs are) but if the funds were raised to pay the next months rent would that help with time to figure viable options?

I'm not suggesting getting my wallet out just yet but may I ask. If enough people were interested/ volunteered/ feeling generous. ( and I have no idea what the running costs are) but if the funds were raised to pay the next months rent would that help with time to figure viable options?
That's a good idea Nick, and Trevor if you're still trading I have a job for you.

That's a good question Nick. The timeline I'm working to if I have to go through with the exit plan is to finish my own vehicles this month which will be tight and then put up for sale. I've 3 months after that to sell up and exit which includes 1 month of contingency.

The Landlord needs to know where they stand as they want to use the 3 months to advertise to ensure a continuation of let, not an unreasonable request.

We have sat down and chatted about other options I might be able to do which is why I've only a few weeks to put a workable proposal in front of the Landlord. I have paid 12 months rent up front each year for the last 2 years but that could change downward for a new proposal. I have promised not to dither and stretch things out in an effort to be fair to the Landlord.

See I've had such good fun up at yours and for me it's the fact that you've let me get under and learn what it is that you're doing. It's educational. I'll be honest and say now I'm not particularity sold on paying X amount a month as I don't feel for me personally that I'd use it all that often. However I would gladly give a charitable donation to keep the options open for a bit longer as it would be an amazing club resource and one that shouldn't be passed up. I hope this sounds more good than bad.

:text-+1: on all that, I can surely say I would never use the facilities personally as I'm not able to do almost any jobs on my 80 owing to my feeble old frame but I would join Nick in helping to keep you ticking over.

If it was a little X then that would be different and obviously that depends entirely on the interest shown here but not knowing numbers it's hard to commit to anything.
It would definitely be a brilliant thing though. Dare say if those in the know needed to do some of their own work it could be kinda of a "how to" weekend where anyone not in the scheme could put their name down for attendance and pay a one off fee for the weekend To bump up funds. Just thinking out loud...

The potential is plain to see and it would be a coup for Brackley's new mayor to save a local business while providing young people with the opportunity to learn real skills in a community workshop .

I think it sounds like a good idea but managing a group/club would need to have a dedicated leadership in place to make sure the management of members and the general running of the facillity is in place.

Making sure enough money is in place is to cover all outgoings is probably the biggest pitfall, sercuring rent upfront is logical but paying for the electric/water/insurance/consumables/oil disposal, repairs/renewals etc.

I would imagine that "someone" needs to be ulitmatly responsible and with the best will in the world it would take a lot of time/energy to run.

If it was a little X then that would be different and obviously that depends entirely on the interest shown here but not knowing numbers it's hard to commit to anything.
It would definitely be a brilliant thing though. Dare say if those in the know needed to do some of their own work it could be kinda of a "how to" weekend where anyone not in the scheme could put their name down for attendance and pay a one off fee for the weekend To bump up funds. Just thinking out loud...
Another good idea Nick. :dance:

Back