Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Clutch changed in a 90

tonytoyota

Country Flag
great_britain
Hi is it a big job changing a clutch in a D4D 90 how long will it takes thanks a lot Tony.

Depends Tony. I have done one, on my own, with the car on the drive. If you've a ramp, it's going to be much easier. It's all heavy stuff. Made easier if there is a body lift too as the bell housing bolts can be a bitch to get onto. You need a set of wobble bars really. Good to have an impact gun as well to speed things up. Technically not a difficult job, just a pain. I would say that if a local garage would do it with a decent Valeo or similar at say £500 to £600 including the clutch, it'd be a bargain.

Drop props, unclip wiring harness off gearboxes, remove transfer box, remove gearstick gaiter and gearlevers, undo clutch slave cylinder from bellhousing, remove starter motor, remove gearbox crossmember and support gearbox but allow to drop (watch fan blades don't ding radiator), remove lower clutch inspection plate, undo bellhousing bolts and the top 2 use about 4 extension bars running across the top of the box, pull gearbox off and change clutch stuff, put it all back together.

Removing front anti roll bar will give you more room, not essential but it does make life easier.

Have brew, fag, kick the cat and say next time I'll take it to the garage.

Last edited:
Hiya Tony, are you needing to change the clutch on your 98 S reg colorado? I'm asking because on August 1998 the fly wheel on the 1kzte was a changed over from the early flat/flush flywheel to the dished type which is the same as the D4D. When I did the clutch on my 70 with a 2000 1kzt I was unaware and fitted the early kit and there was no drive and had to buy another later kit that was right for the dished flywheel... hence having to do the job twice!

If for the 1998 then be very carefull to get the correct kit... I really don't want to hear that you have had to do the job twice! Good luck with it mate!:thumbup:

Hi Iwan thanks for that I hope it goes well it's for me good friend sing hope all's well with you :thumbup:

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back