Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Clutch woes and buying outside EU

I think Chris I would rather pay for a new slave than hand over more money to the garage to drop the box again and replace what I reckon is a perfectly good bearing.

Can't get my head round why this shows up when a new kit is fitted. Would have thought everything should be nice and tight and these problems would show when clutch all worn out.
Ah well, will get a chance to have a good look today and hopefully cure that bloody chirp.

How much did the complete kit cost if you dont mind me asking? Keep meaning to get one for the spares shelf. Mines original with 252000 miles on it. Will go at the worst possible time no doubt..

Think I paid about £300 including postage for the kit.
Keep in mind that custom duties etc. are on top of that and as I mentioned in the original post, if any of the parts are defective you are on your own.

If I was doing it again I would price up using one of the UK discount guys on here. Less hassle.

I had similar miles to yourself on an original clutch. Couldn't believe the difference a new clutch has made.

Think Chris is on the right track with the slave cylinder. Put a dab of grease on the end of the slave rod and all was quiet for a short drive then returned again.
Could see no evidence of any grease on the fork like I asked them to do. Lazy pricks.

Dave.

Last edited:
Just as an update for anybody else with similar noise issues with their new clutch.
I went ahead and replaced the slave cylinder with a new Aisin one as mine was looking well beat up.

Still have chirping but the Cruisers gear changes are now like new. Smooooth.
Ordered a new release bearing off Simon(bloody good discount as usual) and see if the garage is right about it being at fault.
Still doubt it. See what happens.

Dave.

Good luck with it. This would of really pissed me off as it has you. Did your old clutch judder?

Good luck. It drove me bonkers. Fingers crossed because I did exactly this, as I said, and it made no difference. Both bearings were genuine.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Sorry you've had such bad luck with this, Dave.

You've got me thinking now, my clutch has been due for replacement for over 12 months. On extreme occasions, if I'm in too high a gear, I've been able to get it to slip, which is a sure sign its on its way out.

Recently the truck has developed a sort of "kick" sensation when pulling away briskly (being a HZJ, I'm using the word briskly with some license :lol:). It almost feels like the rear axle is rotating on worn bushes, but they are all in good order and tight.

I'm wondering if the friction plate is starting to disintegrate or something similar. Otherwise, it all runs silently and there's no judder on take up.

I really hope I'm not going to have your woes, when I pluck up the courage to spend on a new one, I'm going to want it to be right first time...

Good luck with the release bearing change... :thumbup:

Good luck with it. This would of really pissed me off as it has you. Did your old clutch judder?

Yeah had very bad judder that has been there the five years I owned the truck. Kinda learned to slip the clutch a bit on take off but got to the point where decided new clutch time. Now judder gone.

Wouldn't let my small issues put anybody off replacement.
Even with the trapped bird under my car, the new feeling you get from replacing the worn out clutch is worth it. When I first drove it I was convinced something was broke as the pedal was soooo light. Great. Amazing what you get used to over the years. No more knackered left leg in the jams.

Yeah Chris, I also have gut feeling that there is nothing wrong with the release bearing. If it doesn't cure it then the garage will need to sort as they said definitely it. Back with them next week so will see.

Dave.

Yeah Chris, I also have gut feeling that there is nothing wrong with the release bearing. If it doesn't cure it then the garage will need to sort as they said definitely it. Back with them next week so will see.

Dave.

ok, so I need to wind my neck in and eat some humble pie. Release bearing replaced by garage and chirp problem gone. Seems even new OE parts can be less than average.

Checking the 'new OE' bearing that was replaced it is obviously not right. Leaves me wondering if these parts from overseas are really genuine or maybe was just unlucky.

Anyhow would still recommend anybody will a few miles on their manual cruiser do the clutch change. Hell of a difference.

Still hate using garages though!

Glad you got it sorted, at least you can relax now. Re purchasing outside the EU, often even inside the EU there are 'border' issues. When I give a customer a quote to do a repair you often get the 'those parts are pricey' comment and they are right, car spares are very expensive here. So they go away and turn up a couple of weeks later with for example a cam belt kit, and wish to pay the labour only. I take their car apart and then ring them up as they have the wrong kit and you will be amazed that people a, expect you to put back the old parts and b, get on to the supplier in the UK and sort the mess out. TBH I have made those efforts but the customer has to pay again and then post the wrong parts back which costs a fortune and then get charged a restocking fee, the result is the repair has cost way more than the original quote. Of course they now have an option, I leave the car outside and wait for them to get the correct parts as I do not replace old parts or repair using parts I have purchased, having no car living in an area where I am (one bus every other hour) leaves them having me complete the car with my parts and then they start an 'online fight' getting their money back. Also many suppliers drop the warranty if the part has left the country it was purchased in. I do not guarantee ANYTHING I have not purchased and make that quite clear to the customer.

regards

Dave

Good to hear all is sorted KH, nothing more annoying when you've paid for a good job and it ain't right. :thumbup:

Cheers Clive. New clutch was well worth the hassle.

I can understand what Dave is saying about customers sourcing their own parts and having hassle when get given the wrong one etc.. and I certainly wasn't expecting the garage to sort as not their problem.

What did surprise me was Toyota as a corporation do not stand by their own branded parts straight out of the box that go wrong if purchased outside the EU.

I would have thought they would warranty their products worldwide regardless where purchased if you can prove faulty within 12 months.

Interesting enough Amayama would have refunded me for the part if fitted by a Toyota technician at a Toyota dealership.
Not sure what difference that makes. Either the part is faulty or its not. Shouldn't have to be fitted at a stealership.

Ah well, live and learn. I will no longer be fitting overseas parts that I cannot easily replace myself if they're stuffed.

Cheers,
Dave.

Last edited:
I've just had a quote for a new clutch here, Mr. T price for the pressure plate, clutch plate, release bearing and pilot bearing full kit about €500 but a recommended brand (don't know the name yet) heavy duty 4 piece kit for €390.

Also quoted 1,500 lei for a master cylinder and 1,000 lei for the slave, Mr. T parts.

Here's the rub, 150 lei labour! :lol:

I'm tempted to go for the HD kit (12 months or 20k km, whichever first, parts warranty) and master & slave, all in fitted for €990 all parts and labour warranted for 12 months no quibble.

Equivalent to £735, not cheap, but fitted in one day and warranted, so not so bad. He also said he'd do the weeping rear crank oil seal while the gb was off FOC, so that's an added bonus.

I also know that they will steam-clean the gb and bell housing inside and out before re-fitting.

I've just had a quote for a new clutch here, Mr. T price for the pressure plate, clutch plate, release bearing and pilot bearing full kit about €500 but a recommended brand (don't know the name yet) heavy duty 4 piece kit for €390.

Also quoted 1,500 lei for a master cylinder and 1,000 lei for the slave, Mr. T parts.

Here's the rub, 150 lei labour! :lol:

I'm tempted to go for the HD kit (12 months or 20k km, whichever first, parts warranty) and master & slave, all in fitted for €990 all parts and labour warranted for 12 months no quibble.

Equivalent to £735, not cheap, but fitted in one day and warranted, so not so bad. He also said he'd do the weeping rear crank oil seal while the gb was off FOC, so that's an added bonus.

I also know that they will steam-clean the gb and bell housing inside and out before re-fitting.

Just console yourself with how much it would probably cost here in the UK Clive.

That's now a great deal of difference from OE clutch price Clive.
Pretty sure that was the original in mine with 200k+ on it and was still holding out, so reckon worth the dosh if plan on keeping the cruiser for a while.
Guess the money saved with the heavy duty kit could go towards some other goodies.

I couldn't be happier with mine now. Gear changes are so much smoother, even when cold.
If suffering from heavy pedal or shudder or in my case both then definitely worth it.

Cheers,
Dave.

Im looking forward to the day mine finally starts slipping now..

Yep, I'm getting all the symptoms now, heavier pedal, easy slip if I override it, judder on take-off ... Time to get my order in I think... :think:

Yep Clive. Financial pain involved but worth it.

Do highly recommend checking the condition of both bearings before fitting.
New does not always mean fault free as I found out!

Dave.

Glad you got it sorted KH.

Yes can't wait for mine to fail and put me out of my air con misery.

Back