Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Cold calling to buy a car

Animal Mother

Country Flag
wales
A neighbour (a mile or so down the road) of mine has an 80 sat in in their carport. It's been there for some time, so clearly, it needs rescuing! ;)

I was going to knock on and have a chat with them. Is there any way I can hypnotise them or somehow convince them that:
a) they don't want or need to keep the 80
b) I would be the perfect person for them to hand the keys to
c) It would actually be a favour to them to let me have it for £1k

Your thoughts and experiences would be useful.

P.S. It's maroon if that helps, because it's an awful colour. :smirk:

I once had someone knock on my door asking if i wanted to sell my Landcruiser. To be fair he was a bloody nice bloke and very friendly but I couldn't help but feel suspicious and kept an extra eye on it for a few days.

Of course I had just moved to Derbyshire from London so I was used to being suspicious of everyone....

I just wonder about dropping a note through their door so its a bit less daunting for them to have a guy on their doorstep. Do you know their age/ demographic etc

Before I have written a letter and posted it, with my addess and phone number on, asking if they are interested in selling the car they can give me a ring or write to me. Normally say I am interested in the car as I intend to restore it.

I wouldn't be very happy if someone knocked on my door asking if I wanted to sell my car, I'm not sure really why but it would make me suspicious!

Just do it, Its resulted in a good few for me inc my 80K GS bought for £2k, the petrol Collie for £535, an MGA i paid £400 for and a Coventry Climax Lotus Elite for £4k. Various MGB's and several 60's.
No one will be offended if you ask politely, you may get a bargain, or they might just know what they have. Sometimes they have others interested too and that makes things slightly trickier.

It may also help if you explained to them that you are interested in restoring old 80 series Landcruisers...

Note on the windscreen saying if this is for sale could you please phone joe bloggs on 07************ even if its not for sale i would be grateful if you could let me know so i can continue my search further from home .

Salesmen , wheeler dealers , Travelers and crooks knock on doors , Andy may have the gift of the gab but if you don't knocking will only meet with suspicion .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Due to the fact I'm a woman with a Land Cruiser men seem to think the Cruiser is for sale as they haven't seen a bloke driving it, it must be for sale they knock the door or stop me in the car park and say you selling that old fuel heavy big old truck... simple answer...fuck off just because I don't drive it every day and it looks unloved does not mean its for sale. I don't talk to my grown up children every day does that mean there for sale. Leave the women or man alone he might just like looking at it on his drive.

Me, I think the note through the door approach can do no harm. Ball is then in their court.

Yes when you touch the key in the cruiser it starts, then you touch your bloke and he can't start, trade him in.

Just knock on, you'll be fine. I wouldn't insult there intelligence with the offer of a grand though..
Whilst being at a mates house in town two people have knocked on the door asking if i would sell, i see it as a compliment rather than with suspension.

Genuinely, I think it depends on the area and what people are like around your way. Where I am, if someone "local" came and asked, I'd have discussion with them - no harm, no foul. But if in doubt, note through the door with your number is safe for everyone. I also agree with the comment above, regarding your intentions - being an "enthusiast" is generally good news. I've bought a few vehicles that people wanted to see have a "good home".

You may be best to call and tell him you are an enthusiast and a member of this forum. Would he like to join you for a bit of green laning and to reminisce about the war....you will then probably get an picture of where he is with it and then you could drop it in that if he wasn't for keeping/using it that you would happily give it a new home. Maroon being the best colour but hardest to match....

Now you just hope he's not online...

Due to the fact I'm a woman with a Land Cruiser men seem to think the Cruiser is for sale as they haven't seen a bloke driving it, it must be for sale they knock the door or stop me in the car park and say you selling that old fuel heavy big old truck... simple answer...fuck off just because I don't drive it every day and it looks unloved does not mean its for sale. I don't talk to my grown up children every day does that mean there for sale. Leave the women or man alone he might just like looking at it on his drive.
Touchy!:tearsofjoy:

Cold calling?

20180321_120123.jpg

Back