Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Colorado plastic exterior trim removal

John Davies

Country Flag
wales
Looking for some advice as to how to remove the plastic "cladding" exterior trim on my Colorado. In particular, I'm looking to remove the trim on the rear left and right doors. Does the metal edging come off with the plastic trim as at the lower rear edge they appear to be bolted on .

Any hints or tips would be greatly appreciated :thumbup:

I currently have mine off, I already had the rear bumper off before I removed them quarter panel trims but I think you will have to remove the rear bumper first. I took the rear mud flaps off separately as well.

Then the quarter trim panels, with their couple of bolts / plastic screw trim fixings removed from underneath, they just then pull off, a good pull will yank them off, they're attached via plastic clips, most of my clips are broken, they've been off a few times now. The bodywork places put a bonding adhesive on the top edge if required to help restick them.

Thanks for the info MC - I've already got the back bumper and rear quarter panels off. The ones I'm concerned about are those fitted to the rear passenger side doors. They've got a piece of metal attached to them which can be seen when you open the door. This metal piece seems to be bolted to the door as best as I can see - any thoughts ??

rear door cladding panel 001.jpg
rear door cladding panel 002.jpg

This is the panel I'm looking at removing. Looks like 7 plastic clip positions but the metal part appears to be bolted to the door ??

Oh sorry, I must have mis-read, I didn't realise you said the doors, thought it was the quarter panel trims. Mine is a 2 door Swb so I dont have them rear door trims so I don't know. Do you have to remove the inner door card first to get to them bolts maybe? Hmmm, perhaps another LWB owner will reply soon :)

Why are you removing all the trim anyway?

Thanks for replying MC - I'm in the process of tidying up the truck for MOT. There's the usual rust repairs to the chassis (mainly rear cross member) and the rear spring mounts on the rear axle have rusted through so they will need to replaced together with a full brake rework.
Reason for taking the plastic door trim off is that the metal section is rusted through in one place and I'd like to get it off to see what condition the door panel is in. It seems to be OK and worth trying to save before it progresses too far.

I may try taking the interior door card off but I'm trying to minimise the number of plastic clips I destroy :flushed::grinning:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Is it hard to reinstall the sealant thing between panels and trim? Makes me reluctant to remove them

The trim gaskets are very easy to replace they sort of slot on if you can get them off in one piece and i hope you can because what Toyota charges for them is criminal .

Have your front wing plastic panel been removed? I tried to remove mine to clean some surface rust but haven’t managed. Took off the 10mm screw at the front where it connected to the bumper, and the mud flap, 3 screws, anymore screws to remove? Still feel quite tight. Thanks

If i remember correctly the plastic clips aren't set to be removed you push them into the plastic body panels then twist them so they can't come out which leaves like an umbrella clip that pops into the holes in the wing . I managed to bend arches enough to twist some clips with narrow pliers and they let go easy then but you will have to break some so you may as well get used to the idea your going to replace all the clips and be a little more brutal than you want to be .

Back