Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Condenser and radiator...

Bernese

Country Flag
england
I reckon I can get a couple more years out of mine....:laughing:

Whoever tried to remove it in the past made a real hash of it and gave in but it's off now. Main radiator is also shagged so I'll replace that next week, condenser can wait as more important jobs to do first...

20170930_124010.jpg
20170930_132601.jpg

Wow that was looking rough Des.
Are you getting a new rad or getting yours refurbed, ive had excellent results with refurbs but the last place has shutdown now

Wow that was looking rough Des.
Are you getting a new rad or getting yours refurbed, ive had excellent results with refurbs but the last place has shutdown now
Rough is an understatement the two con pipes were part cut, luckily behind the connecting fittings lol
I'm fitting a rad, hoses and thermostat from rough trax next Friday as I'm busy all week. Will have the old on re cored locally as a spare Ben...

You'll need to cap off the AC pipes if you haven't already Des. With the cuts already done there may be little point as it is to stop debris and moisture getting in. You will need to change the filter drier when it goes back as well. Who knows what has got in through the cuts!

You'll need to cap off the AC pipes if you haven't already Des. With the cuts already done there may be little point as it is to stop debris and moisture getting in. You will need to change the filter drier when it goes back as well. Who knows what has got in through the cuts!

God knows how long it's been in this state but I'm sure all will be reviled once I get round to sorting the system but I will cap ot off in the short term.
Chris pointed it out initially I think he used the word "shagged" ...

Need to locate the thermostat as someone said it was buried under the air con pump, altenator etc so I'll have a look in the week...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Jesus that condenser is bad :tongueclosed:

Fit a genuine rad if you can.

It certainly is but as you know all doable lol... Rad from rough trax as the price of original was a litter under £500 .. The parts I've had off them so far have been fine (famous last words)...

It certainly is but as you know all doable lol... Rad from rough trax as the price of original was a litter under £500 .. The parts I've had off them so far have been fine (famous last words)...
Bitter experience has guided many to fit genuine parts Des. It's what makes these trucks great and a rad is pretty important. That said, I can't remember the verdict on the RT one but RT themselves seem pretty keen on getting good quality items.

Have a look on Amayama.com. It's around 2 1/2 weeks delivery time and there's VAT and import duty but often their prices make this worthwhile…very! A rad is going to be heavy so may be expensive on shipping but it may be worth you looking as they sell only genuine parts.

The 2 toyo engine rads I had lasted about 10 years each. The third one failed straight away but at least toyo replaced it.

I replaced the A/C rad with a pattern which leaked straight away so bought a toyo one which was OK.

I'm not keen on recoring an 80 rad. They only use the plasic header tanks and by the time the rebuilder has charged his labour there is not much money left for the core. It's a difficult and skilled job to fit the header tanks. They are plastic with a huge rubber seal. Not like rebuilding rads years ago.

That said, I can't remember the verdict on the RT one but RT themselves seem pretty keen on getting good quality items.

Have a look on Amayama.com. It's around 2 1/2 weeks delivery time and there's VAT and import duty but often their prices make this worthwhile…very! A rad is going to be heavy so may be expensive on shipping but it may be worth you looking as they sell only genuine parts.

Thanks for the link to Amayama.. :)

I've spoken to R/T about the radiator and warranty which in this case is 12mths, from my discussions it would seem they do endeavour source a good named part ... you could at this stage think the obvious as there not going to say anything else but time being the main issue I expect delivery shortly. To be fair i could fit a rad from one of my capri's and it would be an improvement over the last few owners but take your point on original quality going forward.. :)

I would just check the number of tubes v/v the original. Some say that copy rads can have less number of tubes.

£442 inc vat was the price i got for a forum member a couple of months back from my local stealership.

i can equal, if not beat prices from amayama on the majority of occasions.

That photo looks OK but sometimes a seller puts a genuine Toyota photo up. When you open the box a load of crap drops out, nothing like the original at all. Milners did that to me. Fraud would be difficult to prove but they were defo dishonest.

Was'nt doubting your pictures. Just reminded me to be aware, especially for someone new to the forum. Good luck with all the work.

Looks like the one in the picture to me so that's a good start Des. :thumbup:
Time will tell the rest.

On both rads, are they copper or aluminium cored? I think mine is copper but I would need to check.

Last edited:
No problem Frank and believe me I appreciate the help from people like yourself who have much more experience with the 80 than me pal. As for the work as I said I have a bin load and no real time but with help from people like yourself, Chris, Andy and Karl I will get a number of basics done shortly. I will be able to get stuck in myself next year on the body work etc :)

Back