Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Conversion to Ordnance Survey mapping.

Roger Fairclough

I have fitted an Alpine IVA-D511R/RB media station to my wife's Shogun. This unit combines sat-nav with a tuner and disc player. I'm considering fitting a similar unit to the Land-Cruiser, but only if I can convert the sat-nav to show Ordnance Survey mapping.

Does anyone know if this is possible?

If not, what are your views on a sat-nav that can be vehicle mounted but be used externally for walking. I would be looking for the max. size of screen.

Cheers.

Roger

I have that unit and asked the same question, but the answer from Alpine was 'no'. Very interested to know if anyone has found a solution. 'fraid I can't help with the portable unit, as I didn't go that way...

Buy a iPad and OS mapping, much more useful than a head unit! I use the mapping all the time it is just fantastic

Map of my village etc

50C0B6E1.jpg

its soooo easy to zoom in/out and scroll araround, also one thing I love with apple is once I pay for it on one device I have it on all my apple devices, having 3 phones and shortly 2 iPads it's very handy.

Cheers Mike. I finished up with a Garmin Montana. I can use it for walking (It's waterproof) with the OS 1;50,000 mapping or in the car (special mount) when I use the street mapping with the voice over for specific destinations. It has an altimeter, calculator and electronic compass. I think it can make coffee but I haven't figured out how to do that yet. The manual runs to 64 pages!

Roger

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Garmin do make make some nice kit

i don't use mine since I've had an iPhone it does everything the nav does and more, it only disadvantage is battery life.

The Montana has a Li-ion battery with a battery life of about 20 hours. When it's on it's car mount the battery is on charge plus we were given a power module that has a solar charger plus mains charger. This power module gives you an extra 20 hours running time. The only anomaly of this is that the Garmin cannot be charged directly from the solar panel, although this is not likely to be a problem.

Roger

I've a Montana 650 and love it - you can also whip the Li-ion battery out and run it on 3 'AA' cells so very flexible.

I've got the friction mount which is very clever and works very very well :lol:

Back