Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Cooler ideas

mike hatton

Hey chaps,

Was really impressed with Gav's Waeco at Lincomb, notably its very low draw.
I'd really like one myself but being a tight git I'm on the lookout for a cheaper option.
There's a waeco 3 way cooler that doesn't boast quite the same specs as the fridge but will run on gas aswell as 12v and is less than 1/2 the cost. Anyone tried one? I dont need to freeze things but it would be nice to have a cold beer at the end of a long weekend without having to mess with ice.
Another thought was to nab a fridge from an old caravan and build it into a box, could be a little awkward but it would be cheap.

Mike, shame. Just sold a Waeco like Gav's.

The Tristar fridge things are really good for the money. When they are working. If they worked flawlessly, then I wouldn't bother with a Waeco frankly. But they can be a bit temperamental. On 240v they work almost spot on. On gas they have a tendency to go out or be hard to light. Sometimes they light and don't cool. On 12v all they do is hold temp for a bit.

I have one sitting here doing nothing. Can't bring my self to get rid of it as I'll put the Christmas beer in there. They do say that if you have a prob, turn it upside down for an hour. Folks do say this works. I haven't tried that yet.

Chris

Doesn't sound ideal to be bouncing round in the back of the truck. I assume the 3 way ones all work on the same system... There's thermo electric, absorption (the 3 way ones) and compressor (caravan fridges and propper waeco's).

Not a clue. All I know is the difference between warm beer and cold beer. When working on gas they are megga!

Chris

don't overlook traditional coolboxes. i've got a 3 way waeco, but tbh for weekends i tend to use my coleman xtreme. in france this year it kept everything cool in the back of the car for 3/4 days without fresh ice. it's a lot less hassle and smaller than the waeco.

the two market leaders are coleman xtreme and igloo maxcold, both of which keep ice for 5 days at 30 dec C, nothing to break, and won't drain your battery. they are expensive ( for a cooler ) but are superb.

http://www.mobilegas.co.uk/mobilecoolbo ... /index.htm

not the cheapest supplier, but it's the first site i found stocking igloo and coleman.

Its a shame the Quest fails to perform on 12v but on 240 & gas, they are brilliant - we use it as the overflow booze fridge fulltime these days as Chris suggested & when we go out caravanning... :cool:

I've got to say, I forgot we had a Coleman coolbox & I'm sure that would be fine for weekending with enough ice/freezer packs in it.

If you wanted to try the Quest route, I know someone trying to get rid of one - you could run it on gas in the back of your ZooZoo whilst driving non? :think:

All else fails, dip yer hand in yer pocket tight wad!!! :lol:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back