Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Cooper Discoverer STT vs. BFG M/T?

Waldamar

Supporter
Country Flag
england
My tyre troubles rumble on - literally.
Having failed to find a set of BFG A/Ts I was well chuffed to be offered a set of Cooper ST, having done some research they seemed good and the tread pattern is more like an aggressive A/T. Plus my spare is a totally unused ST [picture 1]
WP_002257.jpg

Unfortunately there was a misunderstanding between the seller and myself and I actually got Cooper STT [picture 2]
WP_002259.jpg

A much more M/T like tread pattern IMHO.......................... At present I'm on BFG M/Ts [picture]
WP_002256.jpg

So the question is.......................... Will the Cooper STT be a better allrounder than the BFG's? Main concern is wet performance and snow - road noise not really an issue!
Thanks in advance for any advice,
Of course I could sell 5 STT's 4 BFG M/T's and one unused ST and buy some A/T's! but I know from experience 2nd hand tyres seldom raise much...............

They are the old STT Owl which was replaced by the STT Discover pro .

I loved mine and having seen them toodle up a wet slippy clay/mud grassy slope no problem at all where an albeit heavier 80 running BFG all terrains simply stopped with all 4 wheels spinning so i'm inclined to think its a better tyre - for me .

The BFG will last longer .

They are the old STT Owl which was replaced by the STT Discover pro .

I loved mine and having seen them toodle up a wet slippy clay/mud grassy slope no problem at all where an albeit heavier 80 running BFG all terrains simply stopped with all 4 wheels spinning so i'm inclined to think its a better tyre - for me .

The BFG will last longer .
That's 1 vote for the STT's, and I guess I'd get more for the 2nd hand BFG's - thanks for your opinion,

I have been using the Cooper STT's for many years now, apart from one short time when I was persuaded to try BFG's, the fact that I am now back to Coopers with the STT Pro's should tell you I much prefer the Coopers, in the mud I think they perform just as well as the BFG's but have much better grip on wet tarmac than BFG's, I've not driven with the Coopers in snow so can't comment on that.
By all accounts the BFG's last much longer maybe because they are a harder compound which could explain the lesser grip in the wet. I can't comment on the length of life as I didn't use them long enough, all just my opinion though, you pays your money and takes your choice.

I got STTS (not pro's) when I really wanted BFG MTs. Cash was limited and so was availability. So, being a little prejudiced, I thought that I didn't like them to begin with. I went to Morocco on them which didn't really tax them in any way.

So, it wasn't without some trepidation that I put them on for Russia. What do I think of them after 4000 miles of punishment? I'd have another set. I can't really say more. Noise? Fine. Grip on tar? Fine. Grip on slippery rocks? Fine. Traction on very very soft sand? Fine. Corrugations and unsurfaced roads? Fine.

They responded best (and very well) to changing the pressure. Left at one pressure they didn't work for all surfaces. I aired down many times and found that around 25 psi worked best (315 x 75 x 16) and on tar around 45 psi

I don't air down for mud. My experience has been that mud tyres don't work well in deep mud aired down. Sure on soft surfaces, but I am talking about deep mud. Now there are limits to their performance where frankly there isn't a tyre made that going to work. With almost 4 tonnes of fully loaded 80, nothing short of either 50" tyres or tracks is going to work.

I'm running on stt pro now which replaced bfg mts (km so the original pattern)
The coopers haven't let me down and grip wet tarmac better imo. Mud performance is good, wet and dry rocks good.
Respond very well to lower pressures on rocks and mould around bigger rocks very well.

Snow performance is good it's only my right foot that causes them to break traction.

They're heavier which was noticeable when I was mounting them on the rims, thicker sidewall. Have knocked mpg round town a bit but I put that down to the extra weight.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I’ve never had coopers on my truck, but I have had BFG KM2s (muds) and I like them a lot...... BUT

Many posts (including on this thread) seem to mix up BFG KM2s with BFG KO2/3s and they’re very different tyres.

KM2s are mud tyres, good for mud and dirt-track, grass, loose rock and did I mention mud?

Whereas KO2/3s are All-Terrain tyres (ATs) and they are capable of all of the above, but less effective in mud, and more effective on asphalt, particularly wet asphalt (most tyres perform reasonably well on dry asphalt IMHO).

You may note that I didn’t include asphalt at all in my personal assessment of KM2s above, because they’re not good in the wet, meaning they’re quite poor, and even worse on ice, but reasonably good in fresh snow.

That’s my penny worth, for what it’s worth, on the subject...

I've clocked up over 100 000km on BFG's, and roughly 80% off road, I wouldn't use anything else personally

Many, many thanks to all for wisdom and advice, I'll be fitting the STT's so four BFG M/T's for sale soon!
Thanks again,

Back