Coopers have arrived

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
I am in europe
Feb 24, 2010
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Garage
Well, it's always nice getting new tyres. Today the nice courier man brought me 5 Cooper Discover STs.

OK first impressions - they do look narrow. Compared to my 275 Runaways, they look like bike tyres. OK they will fill out with some air, I know. They have a good weight to them, not the like the current paper thin elastic bands. And get this, for those of you who know me, I have never been shy on the pie front, and I can sit on one feet off the ground and it barely distorts. Now that is a strong tyre. I reckon you could just about run flat. Tread looks good. Not too aggressive, but a little more side lug than an AT.

IMGP4077.jpg

OK, not exactly photoshopped, but they are going to fill those arches a little better. I wasn't going to have lettering outwards as I want black wheels, but the letters on these are quite discrete. Still, black wheels, black sidewalls? I think so
IMGP4078.jpg

IMGP4079.jpg

I know that they look a little thin and tall, but I actually think that they are going to be good. OK they lose you that massive Judge Dredd look from the front but this isn't a fashion parade.

I almost want to go and get them fitted now, but I think I shall just have to wait and get the wheels done first. Patience is not a virtue of mine.

Chris

Attachments

AndyCook

I am in scotland
Apr 16, 2010
Old Rayne, Aberdeenshire
Garage
join the skinny club!

my colorado only has 6" rims, or maybe 6.5", not the 7" of highertrim levels
so i have 225 tyres on! skinny too compared to the fatter offerings on the GX/VX trimmed cousins

found skinner far better in snow, especially follwing deep ruts of other cars, fat tyres catch and grab on ruts making driving a challenge - skinny cut through and track the ruts much better

Rob

Mar 1, 2010
Bristol
Garage
Cant wait to seen a pic with them on the truck, its not only you that impatient.

Don't like the adverts? Remove them by becoming a supporting member.   Click here

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
I am in europe
Feb 24, 2010
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Garage
Inside I think Tommo. Going with the stealth look. Black rims. Black sliders, black rack, black bumpers.

OK hard to be stealthy in a truck that size - especially a white one, but you get the idea.

Chris

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
I am in europe
Feb 24, 2010
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Garage
Can't remember off hand Jon. They look super skinny I know but they are 255. That only 10mm a side narrower than standard. The hand book refers to 215/80/16s and 275/70/16s but doesn't mention a different wheel. There are plenty of people with exactly this tyre on the std rim so I guess they're fine. I don't know what the standard allow wheel width is by the way. Care to enlighten?

Chris

Edit - thanks Julian, was just about to post that you beat me to it. So what is the width of a std 80 alloy?

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
I am in europe
Feb 24, 2010
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Garage
Just been gazing, sorry, inspecting them and actually the insides of the rims (outsides of the tyre part) is only 4" at rest, so they have a lot of filling out to do. When you open them up a bit, they start to make a bit more sense.

It's going to take some will power to keep me from sticking them on.

Chris

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
I am in europe
Feb 24, 2010
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Garage
I have found a wheel re finisher in Chesterfield. Going for a quote tomorrow! Sounds like they do a proper job. Multi coats, top layers and all that stuff.

Chris

Anyone got a spare 80 alloy?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks