Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Coopers have arrived

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Well, it's always nice getting new tyres. Today the nice courier man brought me 5 Cooper Discover STs.

OK first impressions - they do look narrow. Compared to my 275 Runaways, they look like bike tyres. OK they will fill out with some air, I know. They have a good weight to them, not the like the current paper thin elastic bands. And get this, for those of you who know me, I have never been shy on the pie front, and I can sit on one feet off the ground and it barely distorts. Now that is a strong tyre. I reckon you could just about run flat. Tread looks good. Not too aggressive, but a little more side lug than an AT.

IMGP4077.jpg

OK, not exactly photoshopped, but they are going to fill those arches a little better. I wasn't going to have lettering outwards as I want black wheels, but the letters on these are quite discrete. Still, black wheels, black sidewalls? I think so
IMGP4078.jpg

IMGP4079.jpg

I know that they look a little thin and tall, but I actually think that they are going to be good. OK they lose you that massive Judge Dredd look from the front but this isn't a fashion parade.

I almost want to go and get them fitted now, but I think I shall just have to wait and get the wheels done first. Patience is not a virtue of mine.

Chris

Attachments

• IMGP4077.jpg
    IMGP4077.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 66
  • IMGP4078.jpg
    IMGP4078.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 78
  • IMGP4079.jpg
    IMGP4079.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 71
join the skinny club!

my colorado only has 6" rims, or maybe 6.5", not the 7" of highertrim levels
so i have 225 tyres on! skinny too compared to the fatter offerings on the GX/VX trimmed cousins

found skinner far better in snow, especially follwing deep ruts of other cars, fat tyres catch and grab on ruts making driving a challenge - skinny cut through and track the ruts much better

Cant wait to seen a pic with them on the truck, its not only you that impatient.

Inside I think Tommo. Going with the stealth look. Black rims. Black sliders, black rack, black bumpers.

OK hard to be stealthy in a truck that size - especially a white one, but you get the idea.

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I thought my 285's were skinny but those are super skinny! What's the recomended wheel width for those Chris?

Can't remember off hand Jon. They look super skinny I know but they are 255. That only 10mm a side narrower than standard. The hand book refers to 215/80/16s and 275/70/16s but doesn't mention a different wheel. There are plenty of people with exactly this tyre on the std rim so I guess they're fine. I don't know what the standard allow wheel width is by the way. Care to enlighten?

Chris

Edit - thanks Julian, was just about to post that you beat me to it. So what is the width of a std 80 alloy?

Recommended rim width for the 255 cooper is 6.5 to 8 inch

Just been gazing, sorry, inspecting them and actually the insides of the rims (outsides of the tyre part) is only 4" at rest, so they have a lot of filling out to do. When you open them up a bit, they start to make a bit more sense.

It's going to take some will power to keep me from sticking them on.

Chris

Chris said:
It's going to take some will power to keep me from sticking them on.

Chris

Would you just get on with it and get them fitted already :twisted:

I have found a wheel re finisher in Chesterfield. Going for a quote tomorrow! Sounds like they do a proper job. Multi coats, top layers and all that stuff.

Chris

Anyone got a spare 80 alloy?

Back