Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Could my pa be joining the club???

Gav Peter

Country Flag
england
So, Pa wants a big hoinking 4x4 to tow the trailer tent...

We started off looking at V8 Amazons but he's bottled that a bit - we're off to look at this tomorrow:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...radius/1500/page/1/quicksearch/true?logcode=p

I had a quick girlie look at the tyres last Friday & it looks it pretty good order... What should I/we be looking for if he's serious about buying it after a test drive?

I'm hoping that turning up in MUX

DSC02581.jpg

will scare them into a good discount ;-)

Seriously though, any hints & tips on what to look for on the 120's would be greatly received...

Va bene

The only real issue that some of the 120s have is the leaky injector which leads to engine failure. Problem is, you don't know it's happening. IIRC, they changed the injector washers around '04/'05 to the new Ali ones which do not crack.
Put it in perspective though, there are 3-4 other people on TLOCUK which have had it happen but in the greater scheme of things....

My issues have been a leaky / faulty EGR value (being replaced)
I know Gary has had issues with the active suspension (apparently dirty / corroded sensors?)
Graham had a fault alternator after 4 million miles. (ok, not quite 4 million but it was a hell of a lot.)
Some had leaky aircon pipes.

Not sure what else, someone else can chip in.

On the drive I would test the suspension like a 18 year old kid; up down up down up down. Make sure it complies each time.

Crispin said:
Graham had a fault alternator after 4 million miles. (ok, not quite 4 million but it was a hell of a lot.)
Grahams distances are no longer measured in miles Cris - I think his car should be renamed the Millenium Falcon...

Thanks for the tips though - I hope to receive some more before 4.30pm tomorrow when we go for a cruise in it... With the suspension rising & falling as we go!!!

Cheers

Couple that I can think of:
Check the alloys for corrosion, these are known for it.
Check the sunroof works without making any strange noises.

Sorry that's all I can think of :roll:

Thanks Tony - if that's all we have to worry about, we should be OK :)

I was wondering about all the electronic suspension jiggery pokery & all of that sort of thing as much as anything...

Don't thay have some sort of traction control too?

Cheers

Gary would be better at this but, if you want to change the suspension on a LC5, you cannot. The rear as airbags and apparently, no where to actually mount the springs / shocks. You forever have the air suspension.

The traction control on them is very good. Both on snow / ice (Had a lot of fun with it) and for off road. A-TRAC does a good job of keeping you moving.

Check the CD locks and unlocks ok. Mine sometimes takes a few seconds (>10) if either driving straight or stationary, most times it is much quicker.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I suspect Pa will not be looking to lift his truck :-( I'll get a decent set of MT's for him though ;-)

I still harbour hopes that he'll go for the 100 V8 which I could inherit once he's finished with it ;-)

Cheers

Gav

As the owner of a well abused LC5, they are as good as they say. The LC5 is a very nice place to be with lots of useful toys. Obviouly you hear all sorts of sob storys about engines and stuff but for the most part they are as good as they look. My comment is that whilst it's nice in green the interior beige shows up dirt really easily, if that is a concern. Also, that one advertised is about £5k over priced! I got mine (also 2004 LC5 with 57k miles then) last year for £12k. Unless that one is in showroom condition I'd be looking to pay no more than maybe £13k wilh a year warranty. They're a nice big comfy bus. Check the suspension height adjustment, that all the usual fluids and oils have been done, prop shaft greased etc etc and that you have the 'new improved' brake calipers. If it has a Toyo history chances are they have been done. If you want to inspect yourself, drop the front wheel and check to see if the piston rubber boot has a little stainless steel ring on it to seal it tight on the piston. The old original ones have no mechanical seal on the piston. Toyo calipers are about £250 each so negotiate accordingly....

Now that's what I'm talking about!!! Great post - cheers Mr Chicken ;-)

Good luck Gav, I drove past that one today, certainly looks tidy :)

Interesting little exercise all told...

First things first - Mr Salesman says (upon seeing MUX parked outside his lot...) 'that's seen better days hasn't it - would you move it into the pub carpark up the side there...' How to win friends & influence people :roll: I'll go back when he's resplendant (sp.) in all his new regallia & see what Mr Salesman says then... MUX is just a puppy waiting for his adult coat ;-)

Anyhoo, the '04 120...

Nice motor.

N.C. - you are 100% right about the beige... Bit mingy but would clean up ok I think - dad will never bother to do that though... He's a slut like me...

Cris - suspension seemes to go up & down upon request... How much travel should I be looking for & in how long? Does it only move whilst stationary & in Neutral?

CD seems to light up the right lamps (VSC) but after I had done so (& gone into low range etc etc, rolled back & forwards) it seemed to develop quite a whine upon acceleration/decceleration when dad drove it - much to the annoyance of the saleman in the car with me & me folks... Your thoughts gentlemen on this point alone would be invaluable...

I think we need to 'have it' alone for a morning to really have a mooch & dad will probably look into that when they get back from hols if the truck is still there in a week or so...

INMHO, as others have suggested, it seems overpriced... The outside of the two front tyres are scrubbed quite badly which is usually tracking or tyre pressure issues non?

Dad liked the motor so it could be his weapon of choice come the day but there was an awfully pleasant '06 3.0 TDi V6 Toureg on the shop front with 90K on the clock...

Then I had to 'drive like I stole it' to pick up Ava from Rainbows on time - poor wallet... I filled up yesterday £101.83 to fill MUX to the brim... Oy yah...

Gavlad said:
First things first - Mr Salesman says (upon seeing MUX parked outside his lot...) 'that's seen better days hasn't it - would you move it into the pub carpark up the side there...' How to win friends & influence people :roll: I'll go back when he's resplendant (sp.) in all his new regallia & see what Mr Salesman says then... MUX is just a puppy waiting for his adult coat ;-)
What a pr!ck - there are enough 120s around to walk from this one on principle alone. The brass of the guy does make me chuckle though :lol:

Gavlad said:
Dad liked the motor so it could be his weapon of choice come the day but there was an awfully pleasant '06 3.0 TDi V6 Toureg on the shop front with 90K on the clock..
BTDT - tried get my Old Man to buy a 200 series but off he went and got a V10 TDi Toe-rag. Reckons the cruiser was a little crude on-road and the Toe-rag has real power. :twisted: Them old codgers get some funny ideas at times :roll:

Gavlad said:
Interesting little exercise all told...

I would have killed myself laughing at him. :twisted: How rude. :twisted: For the next visit, ask Ian Rubie if you can borrow his green one ;)

Gavlad said:
Cris - suspension seemes to go up & down upon request... How much travel should I be looking for & in how long? Does it only move whilst stationary & in Neutral?
Don't know. You'd have to ask one of 'em rich folk with a LC5. ;) Mine goes down when I sit in it but that's because I like beer. :|

Gavlad said:
CD seems to light up the right lamps (VSC) but after I had done so (& gone into low range etc etc, rolled back & forwards) it seemed to develop quite a whine upon acceleration/decceleration when dad drove it - much to the annoyance of the saleman in the car with me & me folks... Your thoughts gentlemen on this point alone would be invaluable...
The two lights on are correct, there is also a bit of a whine at speed (20mph?). Sounds a bit like driving in reverse. It's not intrusive though, just different.

Gavlad said:
The outside of the two front tyres are scrubbed quite badly which is usually tracking or tyre pressure issues non?
I have the same, eats the shoulders quite badly. The centre tread should still be fine though. Are the tyres perhaps under-inflated? Get deal to give you new ones. I wangled 3 out of them :)

Gav

Right height travel is about 30mm each way. Should take about 30secs total till the light goes steady. Pretty much only selectable when stationary and reverts to 'normal' when you move off above a certain speed (slightly different speeds depending on if it's low or high).
When you select CD lock, it should lock in about 10 secs and VSC will come on too.
Whine don't know. Sounds like diffs at a guess. Mine's at 79k miles and doesn't have as much as a whisper from the diffs so I'd be investigating that one. Maybe low on oil. Maybe the t-box is low on oil. Check the ouput shaft oil seals for leaks. My rear one had a small weep when I got it and I'd say the t-box was low on oil too.
There is a post that Gary put up 'elsewhere' about wheel alignment/ Toyo/ fixing it etc etc. The front alignment is totally adjustable. Mine understeered like a bitch in the wet when I got it first. I got it all eventually aligned (toe-in was miles out) and all is now well. They seem to be very handling/ alignment sensitive. Unevenly worn tyres will not help the feel either.

Front ARB bushes (£8 each) and new drop links (£40+ each) will also help. Piece of piddle to change and easilly got from our resident supplier.

If the interior is as grubby as you say deffo way too much money. Oh, and if he does pick it, make sure you get the latest nav DVDs (2 in the box). It's about £160 to buy....

Touareg's nice. Not nearly as big internally as you'd think. Lovely and refined and proper competent too. Heard some horror storys about them too re munching gearboxes. I like them. Class interior and nicely finished. 3.0 engine is a peach. Makes the Toyo D4D sound like the bag of bolts that it is!

Where the fnck is that Gary Stockton when you need him!!!

He'll be claiming to be installing some new iT system somewhere no doubt....

;-)

Thanks to y'all for the comment - hopefully Pa will get to have a look at a few more motors befpre choosing... I.m still pushing the Amazon V8 as a viable option but I think me ma is on to me ;-)

I must admit, if you put the 'Dub & the 'Yota to me as an impartial passer by, the Toe-rag would be parked on my drive from looks alone, inside & out... That is a class looking veehickle... Just not enough seats for me & my brood...

Here I am!!

What's the fuss then??

OK, this is what was wrong on mine:

Busted aircon - set dual zone on and aircon on then set both temp (and rear temp) to 'max cold' - if you don't freeze your goolies off it's not working

Tailshaft clunk - solution seems to be grease

rear suspension failed - sensors packed up - replaced

Both front calipers replaced

Front Suspension bushes replaced

Centre diff didn't work at all - whole ECU etc. replaced

There is no difference in sound btn low and high range - low range pulls like a tractor.

Check 2nd start works

Check traction control works - difficult to do though

Seem to have engine mount issue when cold ambient temp - feels like bad idle and goes away when putting drive selector into neutral

Check underbody rust - looks bad, check for corrosion - maybe a boat launcher?

Check seal bonnet to intercooler - they sometimes perish on left rear corner as you look at it from the front

check air filter and cabin air filter if you can - not expensive but evidence or poor maintenance

check date on navigation DVD (under drivers seat) - if out of date is about £150 to update

check for fuel leaks and injector leaks if poss - see Crispin's service thread

check under bonnet for rust / corrosion

check cd shuttle in glove box (see, I'm learning) has the magazine in it, and it works

check TEMS works ok - drive and alter settings - you should feel suspension firm up...

check the 12v accessory sockets have power (only when ignition is on)

check optitron instruments dimmer works

check for REALLY noisy engine - they are noisy, but when warm should be 'ok' if you know what I mean

check power heater works - start car and push switch - revs (if engine cold) should go from +/- 700rpm to +/- 1200 until temp comes up, then will drop back

check tracking etc - should all be good otherwise check for accident damage

check bash plates - mine were trashed, as is the rear silencer

That's about it I think :lol:

Other than that it's been great - thank goodness for extended warranty!!

When fitting MTs - if you go big, you will get rubbing on full lock under compression. A 40mm body lift will fix that, and 30mm wheel spacers :D

You can lift them successfully - trying to finalise my suspension kit at the moment, without a lot of joy :?

Sorry I was late on this - been working my butt off ...

Gary Stockton said:
Sorry I was late on this - been working my butt off ...

What did I tell you???

Gavlad said:
He'll be claiming to be installing some new iT system somewhere no doubt....

ROTFLMFAO!!! Thanks Gaz - welcome to the party ;-)

That is one comprehensive check list mon brave - if its still there when Pa goes back, that sales dude won't know whats hit him... But we will!!! 'The Gaz Stockton 14lb sledge' check list!!!

Once Pa is safely enscounced in his 'Yota, I'll get that rear bumper boxed off for you Gaz :)

Ciao tutti

Ja ja ja. Someone has to make sure the banks are joined at the hip properly ;)

This will give you no excuse now to not start producing 120 series 'bits' :D

I meant to say that there are lots around and if pa doesn't fall from the bus on this one he may want to seriously investigate Toyota stock levels. Pricing is usually competitive and you will get a Toyota-backed warranty which IMHO can be priceless ...

Check the serpentine belt for wear too, and the aircon pulley and power heater pulley should make no noise. Check for belt spray etc.

Oh and the obvious - oil leaks, CV clack etc

good luck, boet!

Interesting suggestion about looking into Toyota actually supplying one them - will have a play at that one.   :cool:

Aye, once Pa gets the 120, then theres the 100, 150, 200, 60, 70 & 40 to get to complete our collection  :D

And then get busy fabricating!!!

Cheers

Gav, I've just had a chance to actually read the advert :? and have to agree with NC - that wagon is seriously over-priced. To give an idea, I bought my 2005 LC5 in Oct 2008 (it was 34 months old) from Mr T for about £1200 more than that. It had 27k miles on it at the time :D and I got the rest of the original warranty and a 1 year Toyota extended warranty.

This guy seems to have a rather inflated opinion of himself and the value of his vehicles. I'd walk, but use this as a baseline to work from.

And other stuff I had to get sorted - mine came with the ICE kit, and one of the screens was smashed and the DVD didn't work. I guess naughty kids to blame, but it was all sorted with absolutely no quibble.

Good luck ...

Back