Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Cruise Control works, then it doesn't.....?

Ron Cruise

Country Flag
united_states
Right after I bought my '92, I tried the cruise control but no go. No worries I thought until we did a longer trek and my knee started aching. I tried the cruise control again and bingo...it worked. A day later, I tried it again and it didn't. The mechanic said I needed part 88285-60020 and the only one I found was a refurb from a company called CruiserParts.net

Has anyone had the 'it works, it doesn't, it works, it doesn't' experience and if so, what did you do.

Also, upon ordering the refurb part and dropping the $$, the disclaimer said, "if we don't have it in stock, it could take 3-6 months...' Greeaattt. Anyone have experience with CruiserParts.net

Thanks

I cleaned the contacts on the speedo sender plug + socket on the gearbox. It worked for me but others have had to change the speedo sender itself.

I had an intermittent cruise control when I bought my truck, would light up but not take when I tried to set it, or would work flawlessly until it suddenly stopped, other times it worked perfectly with no issues.
Every time it failed the cruise light would flash a sequence then stay off, switching the ignition off then on would reset it and I could try again.
Then I noticed the more I used it the less trouble it gave and now after all these years it works as it should every time I use it, no parts changed or cleaned.
I must be lazy lol :)
As for CruiserParts.net I have never heard of them and therefore never used them, sorry.

Ron I assumed that the previous owners had neglected the cruise control by not using it, there is seldom the opportunity to use it in the UK, and that by using it the linkages it used were freed up by repeated movement.
The CC would often fail when a change in power setting was required due to terrain.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The CC uses the same linkages as the throttle pedal so it'll not be a linkage problem. Far more likely to be an electrical issue. The CC won't engage below 30mph so a faulty speed sender switch can prevent it operating normally. If the cruise light goes out for no reason check connections to/from the ECU.

I had a similar issue to this, turned out to be a loose brake light switch. Whenever I went over a bump the cruise would cut out. Fixed the pedal switch and all has been well for the past 5 years.

Have a look at amayama.com for parts too - that you can't get locally. I had to order and replace my spiral cable to get my horn, cruise control and airbag working. Part arrived quickly and cheaper than Toyota could get from Japan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back