Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

CTEK Smartpass best price at the moment

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Been looking at CTEK prices recently and bingo, this popped up today. A drop in price for some reason.

Bought one and the DC to DC charger too. Grab one now if you have been thinking about it.

http://www.eurobatt.co.uk/ctek-smartpass/

Good find

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great price thanks I picked up both :thumbup:

And free next day delivery. I guess a saving of close to £100 on both items combined

Last edited:
Glad to be of service although the DC DC charger can be found elsewhere at pretty much that price. It's the Smart pass that attracted me.

always good to grab a bargain.

Not knowing a great deal about CTEK, can the Smartpass be used as a quick start if your batteries are totally flat and won't turn the engine over?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
No Chas it can't. Not man enough. Which is why I have two spilt charge systems on my 80. Main battery only powers the starter and a split charge to my other bonnet battery from which runs EVERYTHING relating to the truck itself. There is a second split charge taken from the main battery to this CTEK set up. That is the dc to dc thing and aux input from things like the solar panel.

Now, once the leisure battery in the boot is full, the CTEK reverses and takes any power it has coming in from solar, wind turbine, hydroelectric scheme etc and puts it back into the starter battery. The CTEK will never drain the starter battery and will top it up when it has spare. Now I presume that it will top up at 14.4 volts too so the starter battery gets a better conditioning than it does from the alternator.

Now, if I do suffer a flat starting battery, I can use the National Lunar split relay to jump the starter from the second bonnet battery. Or a pair of jump leads if necessary.

Neat huh? Essentially I am running two unconnected systems to three batteries. When the Nat Luna is connected, the CTEK will basically just see one large starter battery.

That's the theory. Of course it relies on swapping to 12v start.

No Chas it can't. Not man enough.
Thanks Chris. The description on their site says
Volt:
12V
Charging Current :
80A

Which was what prompted the question, made me think that's a lot, should be able to start the engine OK, am I missing something, or misreading.

Last edited:
Chas I think that is only one way from the start battery to charge the reserve batteries.

Either way 80amp wouldn't be enough to start.

Yep, that's it. That's taking 80 amp from the alternator to the battery.

Thanks chaps, another question, would it be detrimental to the charger to start the engine while the charger is connected?

No. It's designed to cope with all of this stuff. But someone smarter than me might have to advise on how to connect it to a 24v start truck. Just in case you what full voltage across it. But I am pretty sure they have thought of this stuff Chas.

Wouldn't have thought it would be an issue as you never get more than 12v over any one of the circuits apart from the starter circuit between the solenoid and the starter motor.

Anyone had a delivery yet? All my regular couriers have been and gone. Only damn day I am in too.

Nope and I did get a note yesterday to say they had shipped. Fingers crossed

Actually it does say between 08.00 and 18.00.

I'll have to wait in then. 'cos you know what will happen

Good thing I only finish at the office at 18:00. I guess big corporates have some benefit.

Next question is about installation I guess Warren.

I have the AO drawers which don't really have a gap between the middle seats and the back of the drawer carcass. That would be the ideal location really. I might put them in the pass side cubby bin by the tool locker. The other side will have the battery in. Not sure there is room to put the CTEK on top. Or I could go into the DS rear quarter plastic and mount them where the sub woofer goes. But it's not very nice in there and get a bit damp and sweaty. Last option would be to fix them to the cargo barrier when that goes in. I'd like to be able to get to them, or see them at least in case of fault lights. I also don't want mad cabling all over the place. If I could shuffle the middle seats forward an inch that would help. And mine back an inch too!

I was thinking under the drivers seat in place of the heater unit as I would rather they not be in the engine bay and out of dusty/wet places.

I think they can get quite warm so could do with some sir flow rather than being closed up in a box.

That way you have the hole under the seat to get the wiring to the engine bay.

Just a thought at the moment.

Back