Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Current off road navigation thinking?

Dave2000

Supporter
Country Flag
spain
During the Tabernas tour this week I tried out my Panasonic Toughbook for navigation purposes. First the hands up, I forgot the in car charger so only got a limited amount of time to try out the new receiver, 19 volt car chargers are a little thin on the ground in the desert! I also found Memory Map would not zoom, I am unsure if this is because it was a trial version or not although all other functions (waypoints, vehicle postion etc.) worked fine. The TB is great for OBD work on cars with the knocks and vibes but, it is too wieldy for use in the car for sat nav purposes, even when converted into tablet form.

Looking at my options, I now realise I am way way behind with the current thinking on sat nav hard/software, so now looking for solutions. I have read through some of the threads on sat nav use on this forum but they seem to fade out around a year ago, so either there has been no further progress or people are happy with the offerings from last year or so?

I like the idea and neatness of the double DIN in dash stereo/GPS units and gather they are Android based, I am thinking about one of the 7" offerings to get the larger screen, anyone using anything like this at the moment to run Topo maps, or can you get Garmin maps to run on an Android unit, I told you I was out of touch!

I noticed on occasions last week that it was necessary to use a mobile satnav unit, some tracks splitting and causing confusion on the trail. Instead of jamming a convoy of cars into a dead end and then getting them to turn around, our 'routing techs' (nice one guys) took a walk with a hand held unit which helped clarify the route. I am quite happy to pay for an in dash unit and perhaps use my Android phone for out of car use but having a separate tablet would not get the use to justify the price, but could be proved wrong?

So, talk to me.

TIA

regards

Dave

EDIT: The CB antenna was a little difficult to install, but Rodger was on hand to help with that.

CB Antenna.JPG

Last edited:
I have a ram mount, so tablets sit on passenger side of low box lever. Out of sun glare.
I swap between a android 7" tablet running oziexplorer and I usually source 1:50k OS quality maps for my travels. And as backup and supplemenT I use an iPad mini with motionX GPS - using the terrain maps, I download them before trip.
When I get 3G I can supplement with satellite imAges.
This fits on same ram mount tablet holder

Also run a new tomtom with traffic alerts for the rOad sections getting to and from the trails

Been using this combintaitin for 3 years and works well

How about a bit of dash surgery like this to install an external touch screen for your ToughBook? Never have problems seeing it :grinning:

DSCF0011.JPG

I'm not very sophisticated when it comes to mapping, but I use CoPilot for marked numbered roads and google satellite for tracks.

The good thing about google sat is the tracks are visible, and the sat images guide you even though the tracks may have migrated due to wet spots and degradation.

So far I've done ok with this combo, all operated on my iPad Air mounted on a combination of Ram bits, a very comprehensive and versatile set of kit they do too, albeit a tad expensive.

Still, it's excellent stuff, fully adjustable and firm when clamped up just where you want it.

Thanks for input thus far guys, keep it coming. @jon that is a bit OTT for me mate, having said, I would at least be able to see it with my dodgy lamps. I did manage some minor dash surgery squeezing the CB into the ashtray, looks neat.

regards

Dave

I use a Nexus 10 with a rubberized case cover, suction cup mount on the windscreen with the bottom of the Nexus hard up against the top of the dash, the bottom of the nexus just covers the clock to give some idea of placement. Currently running memory map +the £15 3rd party map licence, still in the process of converting free 50k maps to memory map format (waiting for the MAPC2MAPC software developer to deliver the promised batch processing sw to convert formats). If that don't happen I'll try Jons program on the Nexus10.

I had the same setup on the nexus 7 but struggled to see the damn thing!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I use a 10" Galaxy tablet mounted to the centre console. I can see it and so can the passenger. I do tend to pre plan my routes (memory map) if need to download any further mapping I just connect it to my phone.

20161015_125948.jpg

I got memoryapplication off eblag for £50 genuine disk from the memory map shop. Then put it with a 10" Samsung tablet mounted on a ram mount off the jesus handle on the dash. Works brilliantly.

Hi

Just got back from a 6500 mile road trip round Norway and Sweden.

See pics of my navigation setup below. I just used a 80 quid Lenovo tablet and Google maps.

The combination of both TomTom and Google maps worked really well for me. Used TomTom to get me from A to B and google to give me an over view. Also used it for finding accommodation near to my location and quick indication of distance from my location.

Couple of really frustrations things with Google. Not being able to store maps onto another memory drive, like a micro SD card. The offline maps eat up memory. You need to be connected to the internet if you want to use routes.

I also used Geo Tracker for recording my routes which worked great. FollowMee for others to see where I am in the world at any moment in time through a web link.

The tablet mount I pick up from Amazon,

ECVISION® Desktop seat Bed bolt clamp mount bracket
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00J8GIXJC/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It works ok, I manage to make it work for the trip, but just need to find a more secure way to bolt it to the base of the passengers seat.

Got any questions, please do ask.

Regards
Gary
IMG_0226.JPG

IMG_0303.JPG

Some great stuff coming out here guys, keep it coming thanks.

With this being the subject at breakfast with some mechanic friends this morning, it was mentioned there is an unconfirmed rumour making it's way around the village. Apparently, the Spanish Guardia Civil are stopping and fining people using sat nav and comms equipment (mobile for example), that is mounted to the screen.

Now, I do find this plausible because I have witnessed some pratt's with a TomTom or similar mounted right in front of their view, or placed just below the RVM so a good proportion of the screen is obscured, these also seem to be people chatting on their phones with the video camera on, if this is the case then they need a smack to go with the fine for being so stupid! Note, the fines thus far are for use and the placement, and not pressing buttons whilst on the move, I do have a Guardia Civil station a couple of km's up the road, so I will have a chat this week and confirm or dispel the rumour.

@Delboykev, my 80 is earlier than yours but guess the radio size hole is about the same. What you have there looks more my style but, I had trouble with no zoom on the memory maps install, can you zoom in on your in dash unit?

Regards

Dave

Last edited:
I can zoom in with memory map. Just use the app and paid to unlock os mapping.

I use a garmin montana running custom OSM maps combined with topographic info. The only thing I would change is a bigger screen.

OSMs mapping is great and free. I normally plan my routes on the pic and then load them onto the unit.

I use a garmin montana running custom OSM maps combined with topographic info. The only thing I would change is a bigger screen.

OSMs mapping is great and free. I normally plan my routes on the pc and then load them onto the unit.

Yea zooming works fine everything works as it would on a phone my head unit is android I just download the an aria of the map the night before I go out using the wifi outside my house

....... I just used a 80 quid Lenovo tablet and Google maps....Got any questions, please do ask.
Hello Gary. How are things working out with the Lenovo? For the price it seems very tempting. Cheers, Simon

Hello Gary. How are things working out with the Lenovo? For the price it seems very tempting. Cheers, Simon

Hi Bert

For my last big trip it was invaluable. I brought it as a last minuet item because I realised I had no large screen device with gps built in. The frustrating limitation I found was lack of memory, this is not a fault of the unit but Google Maps. Google maps dose not have the option to save off line maps to another memory device other than the internal. This is ok for short trips but longer distances this might be limiting. I think its a great little device, really useful for having an over view of my route. Also being able to keep track of my original planned route. Please note you need internet connection for all this. I also used it for tracking my route, using an App, Geo Tracker - GPS tracker, https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ilyabogdanovich.geotracker. This is is easy to use and very reliable, as long as your remember to start it before each trip ;). The other app also I used was GPS Tracker By FollowMee, https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fmee.fmeeserv, this is great for sharing a web link with friends and family, this enables them to follow your current route and if there are any issues like not hearing from you in a few days. This app runs as soon as the device is turned on and runs in the background. Note the wifi is only 2.4ghz which is a little slower than 5Ghz. For the price its fantastic. I found I used it more than my Surface for day to day use. What it wont do well is manage your files like photos and video onto other storage devices. This where the Surface was used.

As it proved so valuable on the trip, I decided to purchase a large unit. A Lenovo Yoga Book 10.1 inch, https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01M265VT2/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1.

This is faster and has a larger screen with a lot more memory.

Hope that of use to you.

Regards

Gary

Hi Bert. For my last big trip it was invaluable. I brought it as a last minuet item because I realised I had no large screen device with gps built in. The frustrating limitation I found was lack of memory, this is not a fault of the unit but Google Maps. Google maps dose not have the option to save off line maps to another memory device other than the internal. This is ok for short trips but longer distances this might be limiting. I think its a great little device, really useful for having an over view of my route. Also being able to keep track of my original planned route. Please note you need internet connection for all this. I also used it for tracking my route, using an App, Geo Tracker - GPS tracker, https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ilyabogdanovich.geotracker. This is is easy to use and very reliable, as long as your remember to start it before each trip ;). The other app also I used was GPS Tracker By FollowMee, https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fmee.fmeeserv, this is great for sharing a web link with friends and family, this enables them to follow your current route and if there are any issues like not hearing from you in a few days. This app runs as soon as the device is turned on and runs in the background. Note the wifi is only 2.4ghz which is a little slower than 5Ghz. For the price its fantastic. I found I used it more than my Surface for day to day use. What it wont do well is manage your files like photos and video onto other storage devices. This where the Surface was used. As it proved so valuable on the trip, I decided to purchase a large unit. A Lenovo Yoga Book 10.1 inch, https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01M265VT2/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1.

This is faster and has a larger screen with a lot more memory. Hope that of use to you. Regards, Gary

Hi Gary. that's all of great use thanks. Regarding the internet connection, how did you maintain this, connected via your phone or some other wonderful gadget?
We were going to go to Scotland later this year for the Route 500, but we're now considering the Pyrenees as it is slightly closer, and no midges! Though offroad sat nav not essential, it would be nice to have.

Recent electrical problems with my boat had me searching frantically for a quick fix temporary navigation chartplotter and reliable sources told me to get Navionics downloaded to a smart phone or tablet .

Obviously they are focused on marine navigation but full gps coverage and a quick look now found claims they invented satnav so it might be worth looking into ?

Recent electrical problems with my boat had me searching frantically for a quick fix temporary navigation chartplotter and reliable sources told me to get Navionics downloaded to a smart phone or tablet .

Obviously they are focused on marine navigation but full gps coverage and a quick look now found claims they invented satnav so it might be worth looking into ?
Hi Gary. that's all of great use thanks. Regarding the internet connection, how did you maintain this, connected via your phone or some other wonderful gadget?
We were going to go to Scotland later this year for the Route 500, but we're now considering the Pyrenees as it is slightly closer, and no midges! Though offroad sat nav not essential, it would be nice to have.

Hi

Wow that's a coincidence, I just started planning my next big trip, West to East across the Pyrenees. Have you been before?

I use a NETGEAR AC810-100EUS Aircard Wi-Fi Mobile Broadband Hotspot, https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01FUZE5H8/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&th=1
for my internet connection. 3 mobile gave the best deal for Norway and Sweden, 12GB for month, on a monthly contract of £26.00. Its unlimited data when used in the UK.

Personal I found the tablet invaluable on my trip, really useful for finding local camp sites, being able to quickly zoom in and out of the area your in. As a solo driver it would have been a right pain without it.

Regards
Gary

Back