Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

CV joint replacement.

wobbly

Garage
Whilst descending a slope at Lincomb, with L4 selected, I was getting an almighty clattering from the off-side front wheel.

It sounded like a CV joint on its way out.

I intend to replace it myself.

Do I need any special tools for the job?

If it is the CV joint it may well be due to the suspension lift, in which case I need to learn to do the job.

Cheers

Pete

Ps Had a look on Milners for a part - they have an Outer CV Joint - brand is HDK (Japan) - I assume its the outer cv IO need to replace - anyone used this brand?

Pete

A few folk have used HDK on the 80's Pete - they seem to be good quality :cool:

Hey Pete, im about to replace mine after my excitment at Lincomb resulting in a busted one. Out of interest, what's the cost of the Milner one?

Should be straight forward, and if you search the 90 section you should find the thread where I changed the OS inner shaft with pics.... I'll. Let you know how I get on....

Not difficult, just very messy. Use the pipe trick to get the outer CV off the shaft (I've posted this on here a while back).

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Out of interest, how would I know if it was the outer or inner cv causing the problem?

Pete

[youtube:2vol42xd]pTooPkTAmIk[/youtube:2vol42xd]

Beat me to the thread link

So in order to replace the outer cv joint, the shaft has to come out, and the inner cv joint has to come off first.

In which case should I swap the inner joint for a new one at the same time?

As I have a 2" lift, it must mean that the prop shaft sits at a greater angle than normal - this is what wears the outer joint out quicker than normal, but the inner joint must also be similarily affected.

Pete

Those inner joints are silly money from Toyota and I haven't seen them sold as aftermarket anywhere. I haven't heard of anyone changing an inner joint yet...

Cheers.

Jusr re-read your thread, I will get a couple of those clips from Milners for the inner end.

Out of interest, how much was the ebay joint, and is it ok?

Pete

I have £80 written in my maintenance record, but I think that included grease, clips, etc... Probably closer to £50/60. No problems so far.

Had a look at the front discs today whilst rotating the tyres - guess that its an ideal time do do the discs and pads as well.

This is gonna cost more than I planned.....

Pete

Ok, had my parents driveway booked for the day.....

Started off ok, followed the photo montage from the other thread, invested in a 36mm socket, cv grease etc.

Got to the bit where you have to either split the joint, or remove the 4 bolts on the underside, managed to remove 2 bolts, but the other two were partly worn and couldnt get a socket that wasnt too big or too small, so after a frustrating period, decided to split the joint.

No more luck there - the pin came out ok, but no way will the castle bolt come off, got to the stage where the socket started to slip, so stopped so as not to make it worse.

Decided to reassemble it and re-assess.

I need to work at it from underneath, hate to say it but my back aches too much to work on the floor! May try my mates ramp, but what I really need is a decent trolley jack, mine is 2.25 tonne, so ok for changing tyres, but not for working under!

On a positive note, we changed the front pads - that has got to be the simplest pad change I have ever done!

Will do the rear next week, once my folks have got over the 2 dents my jack put in their tarmac drive.....

Frustrating day, but at least we achieved something.

Pete

you can also remove the long bolt from the top wishbone - you usually have to remove a battery to get access to pull it all the way out.
this allows you to pull the top wishbone away from vehicle. but you also need to undo brakeline clamps etc...

Back