Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

D4d injector seals an issue on a 90 ??

James Lampard

Hoping for a bit of advice on the D4d injector issue !
Having read various forums and googling the main week point on the 3.0 d4d engine is blow past on the injector seals leading to carbon build up - blocked oil strainer, potential blown engine etc
Believing prevention to better than cure I intended to have the seals replaced as a precaution
However when I phoned my local toyota dealership they said that model was not listed on the recall and therefore would not have an issue and implied that it would be better left untouched
I am guessing there is no way of checking without removing them ?
From what I have gathered early d4d engines in the 120 were recalled - so I would imagine that was the same engine in my 95 ? And be a risk
I am guessing people in the club probably have a better idea than the toyota service desk that probably couldn't care less about a 2001 vehicle !
Cheers Jim

Hi James. Pretty certain this only affected a short production run of 120s around late 03. There is a thread on here listing the chassis numbers for the recall. I've never heard of an injector issue on a D4D 90 series. 216,000 on mine, so far so good!

Cheers Bob,
That is reassuring !!
My local mechanic himself a Land Cruiser owner for many years and now on his 4th ,
Let the oil out , put a camera in through the sump plug and oil level holes and had a good look about to see if there was any evidence of sludge - it was like new in there so nothing to worry about !!!
Cheers Jim

I have two d4d engines here at the house, an avensis (170,000 miles) and a rav4 (150,000 miles), both engines had blow by at the injector seals, both on cylinder no.4.
There was sludge on the pick up of the rav.

The blow by could be heard on both engines once the oil filler cap was removed. The avensis also had some white smoke visible when the cap was first removed.

New seals sorted it, about 2 hours on each engine.

Neither the rav or Avensis were ever recalled for this issue

My engine does sound a little noisier than I would have expected - in a kind of tappety kind of way - I test drove a few and they were all similar it is probably best described as being similar to a slight blow on the manifold but that is fine
I didn't realise you could here it
So maybe for piece of mind I should do it any way !!!!!!

Back