Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Dash cam

TonyS

Hi guys,

Talking about dash cams the other day got me thinking that I need one, especially as I had an incident last year, where a Nissan Note decided to cut me up at a roundabout, and had a winch bumper up his Ar*e! Fortunately it turned out ok and he admitted responsibility!

So what do I get. Looked at amazon, and prices seem good, not too stupid, but for around £50 does anyone know my best buy? Doesn't need to be too flash, just keep recording on a loop, so I don't have to think about it!

Cheers,

I am looking into a set-up that has 4 cameras.
They all feed into a hard drive mounted remote from the cameras.
Screen is optional.
What it means is that you can simply have a small descrete camera monted, for example on your front windscreen, facing forward, instead of having the whole gubbins stuck up there.
The weight of the "all in one" type is quite heavy in comparrison to just a small camera.
As such, there is almost no vibration, shaking, falling off when the suction eventually fails.

As the system has 4 cameras, the front can be covered by 2 cameras, (one in each top right of the windscreen, giving an almost good 200 degree cover.
The 3rd camera, rear in the top center of rear of screen.
The 4th camera, would be mounted on the inside door pillar, to give the side view, either left or right side, depending on choice.
You could of course, quite simply just have 1 camera up front, and mount a camera on each left, and right side pillar.
The cameras are just one lead, with a 4 pin plug, simple connection.

Gra.

I bought one of these too, but unfortunately mine died after about 3 weeks of use. ebay seller was quite good and was happy to exchange it,but as it only cost me about £20 I did not bother.

At some point I will buy another better unit.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I am looking into a set-up that has 4 cameras.
They all feed into a hard drive mounted remote from the cameras.
Screen is optional.
Linky? Examples?
Sounds interesting, but expensive?

I like the look of these. let us know what you think of it once you have used it.

Maplins were selling a neat little unit the other month, not sure if they are now.

I have one of these and this is the video. Can't find any night time stuff at the moment but its pretty good TBF it get a bit dazzled by oncoming headlights but there should definitely be enough there to figure out what happened in an accident

.... but as the do actually light up red I think you may well run into problems with the authorities.

Do they? I thought that IR was effectively invisible to humans without a detector?

Haven't Mercedes (or it might be BMW or Audi) come up with a IR "early detection" system on their cars, so that you can see objects further in the distance than the current headlamps allow? I'm sure I saw something like that on TopGear or Fifth Gear recently.......I'll have a Google! ;-)

Add:

Yes, it's Mercedes' Night View Assist System which uses IR ........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UaTYX-ygG8

Last edited:
Maybe so Chad All I can say is that I have installed thousands of CCTV Cameras with IR and of a night time there has always been a red ring around the lens where the led's are. Same thing with IR Flood lights it is quite feint but definitely there. I will try and get a pic of one of our tonight to show you. Could be that the R & D budget at Mercedes is slightly higher that the producers of the various cameras and floods we use

It could have something to do with the IR light frequency. Maybe the best/cheapest IR LED produce IR light that is closer to the visible range we can see.

It's arrived
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368788650.563678.jpg

I will post my thoughts once its in

Back