Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

data roaming in europe

wobbly

Garage
I am trying to decide whether to pay for data roaming in Portugal - it means I can use my tablet tethered to either an orange or vodaphone 3G phone.

Orange is £3 per day for 30mb of data.

Will that be enough data though - I intend to use the connection so that I can track my progress on everytrail - and I need to be able to check email.

No movies or music.

Can anyone with more technical savvy let me know if 30mb is enough?

Get a local pay as you go sim and use that. 30mb might be okay for email and a bit of net bug notification much. How much they charge you when you do 31Mb?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

It depends on what your're using to track your progress. If using google maps and having it download all the map imagery it wouldn't be enough. You can "pre-cache" this though and it will help with the amount downloaded.

Whenever I am touring through Europe I use my Garmin Satnav. So to see where I have been I pull the route logs off that. As far as checking emails etc, I still think data roaming costs are too high for regular use, so I rely on free wifi hotspots (McDonalds is good for this, or hotels).

Smart phones esp Android devices are very data hungry, so I recon your 30Mb will get used very quickly

Ok, thats good advice, and saves me £36.00

My mate has the vodaphone option on his which he is taking with him (he has two kids and wants it for emergencies.)

I am working on some .sid maps of Portugal, but oziexplorer's Android app. is $25.00 and 'experimental' !

Im not overly panicky, if the accents sound more Spanish ive gone too far east, if my feet are wet Ive gone too far west, if there are lots of pale, overweight Brits in shorts Ive gone too far south, so Portugal shouldnt be too bad to navigate without gps.

My plan is to take screenshots of the route on the tablet, so I can use it as a 1:25,000 map (best available commercially is 1:200,000) and navigate old school if necessary.

Thanks for the data advice.

Pete

you can convert .sid files to the format Oziexplorer android needs with free utility http://www.oziexplorer3.com/img2ozf/img2ozf.html

android app is very good, i have used it for 2 weeks in alps, and about 10-12 days in UK for laning

i tend to digitze tracks to follow using the PC version though as its much easier with a big screen and mouse.
i use ozi android on tablet as main mapping device and the map moves as you drives and automatically opens next map tile if you dont have a large merged map.
it also records a track log of your trip if you want, and automatically saves a new one at end of every day

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
If only Aberdeenshire wasnt so far from Somerset....

Show me how to do something once, and I can do it forever, but I'm a bit word-blind, so cant understand simple instructions ( a bit thick, as my mother tells the neighbours.).

There are a couple of lads in the 4x4Response group that will understand the info in the link, so will get them to help me out with it.

Cheers for the info.

Pete

If you want a data plan for roaming Europe, the best I have been able to find is the T-mobile pre-paid sim with the European Internet Travel Booster (see details below). You may also be interested in my other location tracking set up that doesn't require any data connection (see my other post http://www.landcruiserclub.net/foru...ation-Blogging-without-an-Internet-Connection).

"All Boosters last for 30 days from when you buy it or until you have used your data allowance up. If you're a pay monthly customer the cost of the Booster will be added to your monthly bill, if you're a pay as you go customer you'll need to have enough top-up credit on your account to be able to buy....
If you are in a Euro Travel Zone country you can buy a 3MB Booster for £1, a 10MB Booster for £2.50, or a 50MB Booster for £10. If you are in International Zone A or E you can buy a 3MB Booster for £5, a 10MB Booster for £10, or a 50MB Booster for £30. If you are in International Zone B you can buy a 3MB Booster for £10, a 10MB Booster for £20, or a 20MB Booster for £37.50. If you are in International Zone C you can buy a 3MB Booster for £20, a 10MB Booster for £40, or a 20MB Booster for £75. If you are in International Zone D you can buy a 3MB Booster for £25, a 10MB Booster for £75, or a 20MB Booster for £140." (http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/shop/terms-and-conditions/boosters/#Internet-Travel-Boosters)

Last edited:
Discovered a downside with the vodaphone plan......tethering isnt available in Europe, so its just use of the one device.

Not good when all the routes are on the tablet needing tinternet !

Pete

Back