Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

deep water crossings

smokyjoe

What sort of depth can these colorados be driven through (safe depth that is)

I only ask as i thought i would test out the snorkel so i tracked down a river and drove through, the water came upto the bottom of the windscreen and the water came running down the passenger side dashboard below the glovebox,
is there a fix to stop this or is it just a case off dont go through water any deeper than the bonnet edge.

That shouldn't really happen, you need to find the source of the leak. Never had water come into mine. But you'll stubble to make anything fully watertight at which point it would float which really isn't good!

Chris

I had a look under the dash and it looks like the heater, is that passenger side?
if so this would explain why the inside steamed up afterwards :shock:

not sure on the 90 but my 120 got water (not a lot, just enough to leave evidence) in through the air vents intake. Guessing it's somewhere under the wipers. My pollen filter was clogged with mud. In fairness, I also had water and mud on my roof

The offending splash: http://www.youtube.com/user/Landcruiser ... 191XMoV-E0

A quick update ;)
i searched for where the water came in and couldnt find any evidence anyware so i took it out again and found a suitable waterway and now have a couple off inches swilling round the footwells but still cannot find where it is comeing in :shock:
this time i kept the bow wave at bonnet edge level so as not to let it come through the air vent at the bottom of the screen.
any tips on how to find where the water is entering and is there any electrics that are vunerable low down in the cab :?:

Yes, there are. Just under your right knee there is box that I forget the name of, but it's something like the integrated relay thingy. It's a tray with loads of bits in and if you flood it, your horn, lights, alarm, wipers, armrest, coffee percolator etc will all go off at once. Has someone fitted some lights or something that have been wired through the bulkhead. As I have said before, they are pretty watertight usually.

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
i checked all grommets and bungs that i could see and they all seem water tight will recheck incase ive missed something,
is it possible to relocate electrics that are low down or is it not worth it,
when my suspension comes the truck will be an extra 3 inches higher so might be ok then

i hope mines water tight we are doing a load of Fords round Herts and Essex next weekend some of which can be rather deep

J66P said:
i hope mines water tight we are doing a load of Fords round Herts and Essex next weekend some of which can be rather deep

keep us posted if she leaks in ;)

J66P said:
Are you going to do The ford @ Ferneux Pelham :?: :mrgreen:

I did it a couple of years ago :D It's great fun :dance:

Here's a Video of it :)

[youtube:62jnls7t]Wc8A_Kpbe1A[/youtube:62jnls7t]

admin: Fixed video

urm, Tony and I did it last weekend. I've got bigger puddles in my street than it currently has :( It has drizzled since so might have filled up. Looking at the water marks, it looks like it could be fun.

Thanks for the fix admin :thumbup: How do you do that then :?: :? :)

Yes it's depth is very changable :thumbdown: But as we are often in this area moping up lanes that we have not done we quite often jump down it for a look & that time we were lucky :D

That looks like a huge amount of fun, but it's not what I would call deep exactly. I'd do that without a snorkel. Does it get deeper than that then? Not really deep til it's halfway up the screen. You call it a ford, but is it a river bed or flooded lane or something? Looks pretty long. I'd like to have a play in there. I would think that the Landie was pretty wet inside as their floors are made out of holes welded together. But a Cruiser should be dry as you like in that. Std wading depth is 700mm on any version. That's bonnet deep. I took my 120 into water twice as deep with no snorkel several times during the floods and it never coughed. (or leaked) But then it was a company car!

Chis

Something that I don't understand about deep water crossings is how the batteries don't short out when the engine bay fills with water?

Not an electrical engineer, but I would suggest that only being 12v there isn't enough to actually form that 'bridge'. OK drop a spanner across there, big bang, but water isn't quite so conductive. And the electricity already has an easier path already going through the copper cables connected to the terminal. I would think that standing in water for a long time would put a drain on there but not in terms of a dramatic short.

Purely a guess!

Chris

fridayman said:
Something that I don't understand about deep water crossings is how the batteries don't short out when the engine bay fills with water?
I remember being told years ago that water is actually an insulator, but a very poor one, take two cables dip them in water and move them far enough apart and what do you get? . . nothing :shock: except maybe a drain on the battery :think:
Chas

Water is actually a very good insulator. The minerals in water are conductive though. Distilled water is non-conductive.

Your battery, if submerged will "short" but the resistance is so high that the current flowing between the terminals is too low to have any noticeable effect in a short time. If left for a few days you would notice the effects of electrolysis on the terminals but anything less than that and you'll see nothing as you only have a few mAs flowing between terminals.

If your batteries are not sealed and they get dirty water in them, they'll probably fail but that is due to contamination and not shorting out.

Would that explain why my oil timeing belt and alternator lights came on while going through the water :?:

I would expect the air vents, not sure where the air comes into the ventilation system when on fresh air (not rcirculation) ut would expect it is the grille underneath the windscreen. If air can get into the vehicle throughere then water certainly will. ow about trying it with the ventilation on recirculation and see if it changes.

Back