Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Defecting?

Nuclear Chicken

:oops:
Chaps, (and ladies), I've sort of defected. Since the 17/12/10 smash, I've been on the hunt for a replacement LC5. Plenty in UK (mainly England) and a significan propostion are overpriced. However, given my own personal circumstances (i.e. mainly work and income, or the lack of it at times) and the payout from Allianz for the write off, I could not get the LC5 I wanted for the money I had available. Borrowing a topup was not an option. Simple economics. The fact is, it is primarily a family motor and with 3 6yrs or under, it has to be comfy and safe too for long journeys. I wasn't prepared to compromise on what I wanted LCwise, i.e. I wanted the 2005 onward engine with improved output and 5 sp auto. So, for the next 12 mths or so, I had got myself a Volvo XC90 and collected it in Redditch on Saturday and drove it home to NI yesterday. Had to say, that while it is no LC, it is a nice comfy motor and cruises well on long journeys. We're back to Blighty on the w/e of 11th Feb for a stay at Centreparcs, so we'll see how it performs there.

Funny the mentality too: I wanted a perfect LC5 that I saw near Bristol that was the version I wanted with added ICE, reverse sensors, luggage cover and rubbing strips on corners of bumbers. I owner from new and services by same dealer from new. 115k miles and I did everything to get it. Would have taken it with no warranty or anything. With the Volvo I deliberately went to a main dealer to get a full 12mth warranty and deliberately went for as low miles as I could get! The confidence in the reliability of the LC being the key issue here.

So, I'm LC-less but I'll still be here sticking my nose in till I get another one. And I will.

Hi buddy

Mans gotta keep himself and his family safe. Well done you.

Hope you soon find yourself back in the fold so to speak. It's a tough bug to be away from.

Well although not a LC, the XC90's are great family cars.

Stick around though.... if you can take the ribbing you will be getting :twisted:

That's a shame you couldn't get another LC as per your requirements :cry: I'm sure you will find the Volvo a very comfy car though :thumbup: I've been very pleased with our T5 V70 that we've now had for two years, it ticks all of the box's except for economy :p :lol: (getting around 18mpg doing the weekly school run :lol: :lol: :lol: ).

As you say the Volvo's not an LC and as such you'll probably be needing this site here http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php especially with regards the gearbox :)

Oh & this is a good'un aswell http://nordicpartsdirect.co.uk/volvo/default.asp :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Good luck with the new toy NC - my sis has one & they're delighted with it...

Hope to see you back in a proper truck before too long though :p

Yes, the bug has bitten a bit. The LC is big and crude and brash but if I had the option I'd have it anyday, to hell with the nice comfy seats, the nice quiet interior, the storage cubby holes, the steering wheel controls, the tail gate that opens the 'proper' way, the 36mpg at 75mph on the m/way, the separate sliding seats in the rear. :o Blimey, if I keep thinking like this I'll convince myself the Volvo is better. :oops:

Reliability is the big one though, all bull aside. Hence the quite comprehensive dealer warranty. Nice comfy big bus though, and very refined at crusing speed. Also a 6+ mpg reduction in fuel consumption, which is good. Down side so far is that insurance has gone up (even with protected NCD) by £300/year approx.

We'll see what happens in 12mths when the warranty expires and what they want for renewal! :thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Well, just about 2 years later and another MOT yesterday, I've still got the '90. Fact is, given my current mileage (53k in 2 years) I just couldn't run a 120 anymore with diesel hovering around 140p/l. '90 is returning an indicated 38mpg which is none too bad for a 2.2t tank. 2 rear wheel bearings replaced under Volvo warranty (early models had bad bearings), replaced the 2 outer steering arms as the ball joints were knackered, especially the N/s, replaced the two lower control arms (wishbones to you and me) and I'll do an outer front N/S CV joint before I sell it on for a company bus in a month or so. Other than these parts wearing out (prematurely imo) it's been a solid motor and hasn't missed a beat. Only prep for the MOT was getting the dealer to tighten up the stupid foot operated parking brake. Front end can't take the pace IMO as all these bits are replaced on most '90s before 100k and subsequent 100ks. I'm at 136k now and it's running well.

Still hankering after a LC5 120 though....:wtf:

Back