Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Dell Inspiron Duo

TonyP

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
Saw one of these today whilst browsing in Currys, and I must say I like it very much:
http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/dell-inspi ... 9-pdt.html

Same size as a Netbook with the Atom processor, but it has a touch screen that you can flip so that it ends up in a tablet form.

If thse were out a few months ago I would have got this instead of my current car pc solution :(

Wonder if I can sneak this past the Mrs....... :whistle:

EDIT... there is a review here http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/netbooks/dell ... -50001695/

Hmmm, looks neat that Tony :think: Too far down my crpooter road to consider it though... :doh:

I have used laptops on mounts as car computers in the past and tbh I prefer just having a touch screen mounted on the dash than a bulkier laptop on a stand. If you are going down the laptop route, I would suggest you locate the laptop somewhere in the back and just have a touch screen mounted in the front.

Having said that, the tablet PC scene is really taking off now and it will become easier and cheaper to have a small flat device that is both touch screen and computer mounted on the dash. If nothing else, it would avoid having all the cables running between the different devices. I think that if I had start from scratch in say a years time, that would be the route I would take.

Having said that, with the way technology moves, you have to take the plunge and go for it at some point as there is always something newer and better round the corner.

cheers

I was very taken By Paul (BAT21)'s GPS system with the 'tough' tablet pc system but the price of them was a bit prohibitive for me at the moment... Who knows in the fullness of time :think:

I have ended up heading a very similar route to Tony with the ACER Revo Aspire box & a touch screen system - I am sure it will be more than suitable for my needa around the UK (for now!!!)

:cool:

I have gone down the Revo route as well.

Tough Books are good but expensive. The new generation of tablet PC's will offer similar functionality at a lower cost but will obviously not be as rugged - but then neither are the normal laptops or Revo's.

incidentally, I have just installed a solid state drive in my Revo to eliminate potential vibration damage to the drive.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Have you got any pictures of your installation Reinhard? I'm looking for inspiration for the Revo mounting position...

No pics as it is not permanently fitted yet. When we met in Wales it was tied to the back of the central console with a couple of bungees :) very high tech :lol: The intension is to fit it under a seat, but I need to route some new power cables first.

Nice one Reinhard ;) If I manage to get mine in soon, I'll pop some pics up - under the seat sounds good but if mine had have been there on one of the trips last year, the pooter would have been toast from the flooding I managed to make in Muxley... :doh:

yes - in fact that is one concern I have about installing it there. I think Jon had mounted his against the ceiling in his 80.

I did but then if I'd rolled it into a puddle the pc would still have got wet :lol:

So really, what we're learning here is somewhere around the dash board for mounting it... :think:

:lol:

Yes, if you can find some space behind the dash - maybe accessed throgh the glove box space, I would say that that would be ideal. From the brief look I had, there is too much stuff already cluttering up that space.

It is possible to mount the computer in the vehicle without the case but in the case of the Revo you are not going to save much space and you need to beware of causing a short.

Now if you had a tablet PC with touch screen the size of a double din you could fit it instead of the radio ....

SpinDrift said:
Now if you had a tablet PC with touch screen the size of a double din you could fit it instead of the radio ....

That was my idea to start with, but IMO the screen would be too small.

I'm getting on quite well with my Asus Eee T101MT, I would have posted pictures by now but Pentagon
Gps messed me around with my order for a ram mount so I still don't have it yet. :evil:

Gav Peter said:
So really, what we're learning here is somewhere around the dash board for mounting it... :think:
Depends how deep you go :) mine is currently under the drivers seat and if I can ever be bothered it might get relocated to alongside one of the 3rd row windows and then I'll just have to be careful not to put it on its side in a puddle :roll:

I was thinking of carving the glovebox up to stick it in there... I need to have a proper look soon.

24Seven said:
SpinDrift said:

That was my idea to start with, but IMO the screen would be too small.

I'm getting on quite well with my Asus Eee T101MT, I would have posted pictures by now but Pentagon
Gps messed me around with my order for a ram mount so I still don't have it yet. :evil:

Oooh... I'm really keen to see your setup once you have your Ram mount sorted. Recently picked up a T101MT. Quite funky little pc's. Which Ram mount did you go with?
A

I already have the ball fitted and have the arm, so just the smaller tray Part Number: RAM-234-6

Will post the setup soon.

Back